Coyotes on the move?

JR Ewing

On 4/16/2024 at 10:56 PM, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Some have suggested just leaving the Coyotes name, due to Utah being a habitat for actual yotes.
But, I also thought I read that whomever is selling the team is KEEPING the Coyotes name, so maybe that really isn't an option.

Utah WinniJets? LOL...

And that's what baffles me. Meruelo proved that he was a classless worthless piece of trash and the League would still give him the opportunity to be the front-runner for another expansion, not to mention that Bettman gave him $1 billion to take ownership?!  That's the same recipe that will lead to another failure.

I still think that this market can be successful with good ownership that actually cares. But with the condition that you start from scratch with another name/brand, and strictly not with this scúmbag owner. Let Utah use the Coyotes name and Kachina jersey with this simple message to Meruelo: ╭∩╮(°.°)╭∩╮

27 minutes ago, Math said:

I still think that this market can be successful with good ownership that actually cares

This 100%!

For all the terrible attendance, the horrible PR and reputation the team has if DONE RIGHT, the Phoenix/Glendale/Scottsdale are can certainly be a viable NHL destination.

I think it's a bit short sighted when some people automatically assume that "no one wants hockey" in Arizona.
Things are more complex than that.

From a fan's viewpoint, it is hard to care for a team that is a perennial loser with nothing done by ownership to truly improve the situation on the ice.
Hard to care for a team that seems to be more of a developmental squad for players who go on and play well elsewhere.
Hard to care for a team that seemingly is always a dumping ground for bad contracts and a place where older players look to just pick up a check, and the younger players that are there are marginal NHL players at best.

I saw much of that in my younger days with the Lightning.
Bolts checked all the terrible boxes.....poor ownership, poor marketing, poor system and roster management, etc, etc.
It wasn't until Jeff Vinik took hold of the team that things improved and he made the team a priority, always putting money back into the team, its facilities, and in marketing for the team.

A freakin BOSTON businessman of all people....but he made the Lightning, a team that was on the verge of being relocated, into a sustained success because he is intelligent and he CARES!

It is too little too late for the Coyotes as we know them now, but if the NHL wants to revisit the Arizona market once again, I think you are absolutely correct:
A shrewd and caring owner CAN make it work there!

8 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

From a fan's viewpoint, it is hard to care for a team that is a perennial loser with nothing done by ownership to truly improve the situation on the ice.

Yet people still show up for Flyers games.

I'd say people in Arizona are smarter, but readily available evidence says otherwise

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Icechipper said:

How about them Salt Lake City Golden Eagles......🏒🦅

Photo of former UND player Cary Eades, now GM of Fargo Force of USHL

Honestly, this is close... But they said Utah will be retained and Golden Eagles would lead to have two goldens in the League. Maybe just Eagles...? On a personal note and more than ever, I'm advocating to punt Meruelo on Pluto, to force any potential Arizona expansion to start from scratch and let Utah keep the Coyotes branding.

Those vintage covers with the damn Cooper helmets are priceless.

Just now, Math said:

Utah Hockey Club ! Go for it !

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

A friend of mine texted me a couple of days ago and said "Watch them name themselves something stupid like 'Hockey Club'".

• Haha 1

It's not a GREAT team name, but even the Utah or Salt Lake Mountain Lions would be a better team name than Utah HC, HockeyClub, Blizzard, Fury or Venom IMHO.

On 4/17/2024 at 1:22 AM, thegx.ca said:

Salt Lake City Suns...

Salt Lake City Preachers...

Salt Lake City Snipers...

Salk Lake City Ranchers...

All good ones...

How about the Salt Lake City Austons?

The Utah Commanders

The Utah Wives Club

The Utah Tabernacle Boys Choir

The Utah Pipe Organs

The Utah Brass (to complement the Utah "Jazz," since this is soooooo prevalent in Utah).

The Utah X, formerly known as Coyotes.