EAST Playoffs '23-'24 Round 1: (WC2) Washington Capitals at (M1) New York Rangers (NYR Win 4-0)

Capitals at Rangers  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Old Lion Capitals or Young Lion Rangers?

• Caps in a sweep...stunning the hockey world (as well as the NY Rangers!) in a big, big upset
    • Caps in 5...Wsh gives the Rangers everything they want and then some, and put away the favored Blueshirts
    • Caps in 6... Close series, but somehow, someway, the Caps slay the Blue Dragon
    • Caps in 7... Back n forth series that sees the Rangers ultimately fall in a very disappointing end to their season
    • Rangers Sweep.... Caps were pretenders all along. No surprise.
    • Rangers in 5.... Caps put up some resistance, but in the end, not much to see here
    • Rangers in 6... Blueshirts know they are in a series, but their overall team depth outlasts WSH
    • Rangers in 7... Series that could have gone the Caps' way, ends up going in favor of NY. Rangers sigh relief, but they skate on

Nice to see the shout-outs to Papa and Brother Lindgren in the stands.  With Charlie and Ryan opposing each other, their emotional dissonance must be difficult.  (But some pride to go with it.)

Sean McDonough on ESPN just said it about the young Capitals players on the ice this afternoon:  winning the Calder Cup is one thing; the Stanley Cup another… 😁 

• Like 2

Nice move by Kreider to juuust beat Lindgren’s pads for the 4-1 nightcap goal; makes up for his bad short-handed attempt earlier, I guess.

Well, let’s see what young Spencer Carbery pulls out of his Coaching Hat for Game Two on Tuesday Night.

Well hell, the Flyers could have lost 4-1 just the same. 

That was some low event hockey there. 

Anyway. The Rangers are looking like the chalk. 

1 minute ago, mojo1917 said:

That was some low event hockey there.

ESPN announcers emphasized how ineffective Ovechkin was.  But I’d say the same for Dylan Strome: I can barely remember them saying his name.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Ugh Jimmy Vesey the Ranger I dislike the most scores, after the goon. 

The Caps look washed to me.

If this goes 5 I'll fall over.

I think it still goes 6, but my original pick of Ranjerks in 7, is very likely inaccurate.

3 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

I will say this... I don't think the Rangers are as good as a lot of people give them credit for. They play in a division with only one other team that's good. They had middling xGoals%, Scoring Chance% and High Danger%... We don't generally define the best teams as the ones who give up more (and better) scoring chances than their opponent.

Agree. I think the Leafs would beat the Rangers.  I am sure they will win the series vs Washington but Id be surprised if they made it farther

15 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Ugh Jimmy Vesey the Ranger I dislike the most scores, after the goon. 

The Caps look washed to me.

If this goes 5 I'll fall over.

Hated Vesey ever since he blew of the bruins as a UFA, they courted him hard, and lulled them into thinking he was coming to boston, then porked them.

And that GOON sure looked decent out there...loved the kid

• Like 1

• TropicalFruitGirl26 changed the title to EAST Playoffs '23-'24 Round 1: (WC2) Washington Capitals at (M1) New York Rangers (NYR Leads 1-0)