🔴2023-24 Round 2, East Semi Finals: (M2) Carolina Hurricanes at (M1) New York Rangers (NYR WIN 4-2) 🔵

Hurricanes at Rangers  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Which Team Takes Their Appointed East Finals Spot?

• Canes in 4..... Proving the Rangers had it way too easy in the previous round
    • Canes in 5..... Blowing away NY and leaving them wondering why they didn't apply for natural disaster insurance...
    • Canes in 6... Very competitive series sees the Jerks convince non believers
    • Canes in 7.... Everything came down to the final game. And everything went right for Carolina
    • Rangers in 4.... Sent the message that Carolina are pretenders and they need to go back to the drawing board.
    • Rangers in 5... Carolina showed some life, but the Blueshirts were simply too much
    • Rangers in 6... Igor does Igor things and a sniff of the East Finals is all the Canes get
    • Rangers in 7... Chants of 'We want the Cup' permeate MSG, as NY eliminates a tough, game Carolina squad that just fell short

Posted (edited)

caratnyr.thumb.jpg.55ebdc938bdb87e0f7392bd0e566e74d.jpg

Some playoff stats at the start of this set:

CAROLINA HURRICANES
GF/G:  3.8,  GA/G:  2.4
PP%: 33.3,   PK%:  72.7
Won their 1st round against the NY Islanders 4-1

NEW YORK RANGERS
GF/G:  3.75,   GA/G: 1.75
PP%: 37.5,   PK%: 88.2
Won their first round against the Washington Capitals 4-1

Two teams that may have a legit claim on the Cup this year, but only one can move forward.
Both did very well against their overmatched first round opponents, although the Islanders gave the Canes more trouble than the Capitals did the Rangers.
Both did good damage with their power plays, while the Rangers remained solid on the PK, the Canes faltered just a bit there.

On paper (and if you buy in the monumental hype behind them) the Rangers look to have just about every advantage here.
But people have written off the Canes before, to their detriment.
Disappointment has reared its head for both clubs, with the Rangers' seemingly 'bigger' due the bigger spotlight they play in.
Nonetheless, the Hurricanes have been building towards a championship for a while now and whether anyone outside the team wants to acknowledge it or not, it IS playoffs or bust for them as well.

Hurricanes, Rangers....they meet in the 2nd round.....Series talk goes right here!

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26
  • Good Post 1

Coin flip series for I honestly can't even begin top predict what's gonna happen even if either team sweept the other I wouldn't be shocked so I voted NY in 7 just to at least guess something🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

I said  Rangers in 7.

I think this is a series between two of the top three teams in the East. 

I think Shesterkin is the difference. 

I hate the Rangers and threw up in my mouth typing that.

But they are very good and this might be their year to lose to Florida in the ECF.

• Like 1

I picked Rangers in 6. I don't think they are the better team, I think they are the team that plays more physical, hits harder,  and that is what it takes in the play offs. 

I'm throwing Game 1 in the trash for Carolina. They looked a little sluggish through two periods, and almost pulled off a three goal comeback in the third, before losing 4-3. 

I think the Canes win this series in six games.

• TropicalFruitGirl26 changed the title to 🔴2023-24 Round 2, East Semi Finals: (M2) Carolina Hurricanes at (M1) New York Rangers (NYR Lead 1-0) 🔵

Goalies: :rangers:

Defense: :rangers:

Offense: :hurricanes:

Special teams (PP/PK): :rangers:

Coaching: :rangers:

Mental: :hurricanes:

Experience: :rangers:

Robustness: :rangers:

Depth: :rangers:

I don't know why, some sort of feeling but I really don't trust Carolina in this series. The Rangers seem to be a bit better everywhere.

Rangers in 6.

The Carolina defense has to better in front of Andersen. In addition, one shot on a road playoff power play doesn't cut it.

• TropicalFruitGirl26 changed the title to 🔴2023-24 Round 2, East Semi Finals: (M2) Carolina Hurricanes at (M1) New York Rangers (NYR Lead 2-0) 🔵

Game two looked completely different to me than game one, the Rangers were not good 5 v 5 in game 2.

I thought they played really well at even strength in game 1.

Shesterkin just stole a game. 

He was very good, but I think he's get-able, lots of rebounds dropped in front of him; uncharacteristically there were no Canes in the area to take advantage. If they were there their sticks were tied up and they couldn't make a play. 

The Canes put almost 60 shots on that guy and put a lot of pressure on the Rangers defense.

I thought the ice was garbage last night. As the game wore on the puck wouldn't move. I think that helps the Rangers more than it does the Canes.

Two good games though. I hope there are more than just 4 or 5 of them.

The game plan was good for the Canes in Game Two, their execution wasn't. They had a ton of chances, and Andersen was very good. He scares me a bit, but if he plays that well, Carolina should be able to stay in every game. The guy who HAS to get it going for them is Svechnikov. He's been invisible, and had a few bad penalities. They could easily go back to MSG, with the series tied at 2, if the real Carolina Hurricanes show up.

This power play should help the Canes (I hope, because the last one surely didn't), but 16 shots up to this point isn't good at all..especially for a team that should be very good offensively.

The Canes have turned it up, for sure, in shots. They now have 39 shots, but only one goal. They seem to be A Bunch Of Jerks, in their own way. 

2 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Who had Rangers sweep?

This Canes team looks beaten.

They look like they need an equipment check. Maybe the equipment is their sticks, their heads..or both. Forty-four shots and ONE goal. You've gotta be kidding me, even against Shesterkin. The Hurricanes look like they've become this year's Flyers, tons of shots and nothing to show for it.