Gustafsson

Guest AbelMorpheus

So tonight versus a very lousy Columbus team he had 1 assist, was a +6, played 30 shifts and lead the team with 23 minutes of ice time. He has recently been compared to Kimmo. Is he the real deal or was it just a great night?

I like him. I don't think I have him leading the team in ice time every night, but I think he'll be dependable. He's the better of the options we have at that spot right now. I'd take him over Walker, Lilya, or Bartulius.

Yeah, Walker's tough... I like that,and I had higher hopes for Lilja but they are both accident prone. With a team this young and unfamiliar with each other realiable defense is imperitive. What's up with Bartulis anyway? The organization was so hot for him. He kind of faded into the woodwork didn't he?

Yeah, Walker's tough... I like that,and I had higher hopes for Lilja but they are both accident prone. With a team this young and unfamiliar with each other realiable defense is imperitive. What's up with Bartulis anyway? The organization was so hot for him. He kind of faded into the woodwork didn't he?

Yeah. I just don't think Bartulis is that good. I think they misjudged him.

Part of it is that Lilja was making the team no matter what because of his contract and Walker impressed in camp. He got squeezed out, and has to clear waivers. Gus is waiver exempt.

Part of it is that Lilja was making the team no matter what because of his contract and Walker impressed in camp. He got squeezed out, and has to clear waivers. Gus is waiver exempt.

@AbelMorpheus

I don't think you can use this game as a measuring stick. Obviously Lavi was playing the young guys and holding some players out. Kimmo only played 11 mins.

Last year Gus was a combined (NHL & AHL) - 6. Tonight's game brought his +/- back to even for last year and the early part of this year.

I for one am fine with that. I never got the team's love affair with Bart

I for one am fine with that. I never got the team's love affair with Bart

I don't think it's a love affair, he was just the best option they had in the AHL. Kevin Marshall and Marc-Andre Bourdon will probably not be top 4 defensemen in this league, and Bart has them both beat right now in terms of his development and is a serviceable #5/6/7. Gus is a very offensively-minded defenseman, but is small and can have problems in his own zone. We'll see how he continues to develop.

We definitely need to restock the cupboard for defensemen, though. We have nothing promising in the pipeline. Kimmo is probably a year away from retiring, and Pronger seems to be entering the phase of his career where durability is an issue. We will regret that contract in a few years because it's a 35+.

We definitely need to restock the cupboard for defensemen, though. We have nothing promising in the pipeline. Kimmo is probably a year away from retiring, and Pronger seems to be entering the phase of his career where durability is an issue. We will regret that contract in a few years because it's a 35+.

Yeah I agree about needing to restock. About Timmo, are you saying at the season's end or after next season? Either way I'd disagree about him needing to retire. He could easily continue to play and remain productive, but not at the high level we're used to. One a team without nearly the depth, he could easily remain a top 6 for 5 more years, especially if he was to drop to the 3rd paring and take a big pay cut.

Yeah I agree about needing to restock. About Timmo, are you saying at the season's end or after next season? Either way I'd disagree about him needing to retire. He could easily continue to play and remain productive, but not at the high level we're used to. One a team without nearly the depth, he could easily remain a top 6 for 5 more years, especially if he was to drop to the 3rd paring and take a big pay cut.

I figured at the end of his current contract, 2012-2013.

You do realize that he'll be 38 at the end of this contract, right? I think any contract after that will be one-year deals at most. Personally, I don't think he'll be playing after this contract.

I figured at the end of his current contract, 2012-2013.

You do realize that he'll be 38 at the end of this contract, right? I think any contract after that will be one-year deals at most. Personally, I don't think he'll be playing after this contract.

wow, 38 already? where has the time gone. to be honest, no I forgot how old he was, I thought it was closer to 36. So yeah, I had him in mind to still be playing at 41. And while I think he could if he wanted, I still maintain that it'd have to be on a smaller market team, with reduced minutes/role and obviously a pay cut as well. He looks fine now and I just don't see THAT significant of a drop off in 2 years.

I hope they will keepGustafsson in the team for couple more game May be he turns better option then Lilia and Walker. At least he is not worst then these guys.

IMO, Gus has showcased himself as a better player than Lilja and Walker, even with his height disadvantage. Plus, the cap hit is almost half of Walker

I saw the post - Gustafson not at practice. But haven't read it yet. Is it his wrist? I saw him rubbing it during the last game and the trainer was looking at it on the bench. I remember thinking, uh oh.

Apparently, a maintenance day.

The only thing Gustafsson have against him is his physical play I think. Well, he doesnt need to play physical but in that case he must damn good on other stuff like positions and puckhandling, pokechecks etc. Lidstroms hits over the years are easy to count, not so many but he is one of the best defensemen in positions and pokechecks. I think there is potential in Gustafsson but he has to choose a way to go now. Add some weight and play more with his body or getting better on pokechecks and positions.