• Penguins sweep in 4
    • Penguins in 5
    • Penguins in 6
    • Penguins in 7
    • Flyers sweep in 4
    • Flyers in 5
    • Flyers in 6
    • Flyers in 7

The only "but" I might throw in to counter the confidence that the Pens' stars have is the success the Flyers had this year in Pittsburgh.

yeah, i hear you. that kind of thing is so fragile, though...i think that last-game-of-the-season loss in pittsburgh washes it away. i mean, they still know they can win there, but the "we always win there" thing is gone, you know? it doesn't swing it in the pen's favor, but i don't know that edge still exists for the flyers.

Looking at the confidence vector specifically I think the teams are more or less even.

team versus team, i agree. if crosby and malkin decide they are too good to be stopped, though...that's when they throw up 4 point nights. our guys are good enough to stop them...unless they can't. it'll start off even, but someone is going to establish can/can't early, and that will be the case throughout, imo. which is why i can't really call it until game 1. if we come out of game 1 having contained those two and puncture fluery a couple times, we're golden. if those two get it done, though, and the flyers struggle against fluery, that's all the momentum the penguins need to walk away with it. like i said, someone is going to get in someone's head and put the series in their pocket. early dominance one way or the other will determine it.

Giroux. Briere.

. . . Jagr!

. . . Hartnell.

. . . Simmonds.

. . . Read.

. . .Schenn.

. . . Coutourier (the Malkin-stopper).

Bryz!

Lavy!

I think this series is where Giroux let's Malkin know that he can have the Hart Trophy because he (G) will settle for the Cup instead.

Well like I said, an interesting take. I'm not so sure the steamroller-effect you're describing exists for Pittsburgh anymore though, the way it did 3 years ago - and more importantly not the way it did versus the Flyers. A lot has changed in a couple years, esp for the Flyers and I just don't see Pittsburgh dominating us from game-to-game, regardless whether Malkin and Crosby go crazy in G1.

I say that because I disagree that the last game "washes it out." Let's face it nobody was going hard that game, neither side. Oh sure, a few shifts, esp in the 1st. But after that it was about escaping without injury for the most part. I think the Flyers have a real "swagger" attitude when they roll into Pittsburgh and while it surely can be deflated quickly if Bryz is a sieve early on, it can also prop up the Flyers and help prevent a Bryz meltdown - or a leaky, stupid goal like Bob gave up last game. That attitude can go a long way to diffusing the "superiority" of their 2 big guns. Couturier he's been playing Malkin very well, Malkin's 50th notwithstanding (5-man breakdown on that goal).

Are we going to keep Cros and Malkin off the board entirely? Extremely doubtful. But I don't think their penchant for 4, 5 points a night is a gimme* against the Flyers anymore. Not like it was.

*not that you implied it was a "gimme" but you sort of suggest they can score at will if they get a mind to. I certainly believe that was formerly true, esp against Boosh/Biron/TheGoalieWhoShallNeverBeNamed. But the Pens are full of doubt about beating Bob and hopefully about beating Bryzgalov as well. As "full of doubt" as the Pens ever are I mean!

Edited by canoli

I'm not so sure the steamroller-effect you're describing exists for Pittsburgh anymore though, the way it did 3 years ago - and more importantly not the way it did versus the Flyers. A lot has changed in a couple years, esp for the Flyers and I just don't see Pittsburgh dominating us from game-to-game, regardless whether Malkin and Crosby go crazy in G1.

fair enough. for what it's worth, i can also see it going the other way, with the flyers stomping on pittsburgh. i just don't see many games between these two teams that are actually evenly contested for 60 minutes. they tend to have someone dominating someone else. who takes what role on wednesday, i dunno.

yeah, and if what you describe happens - the way it has in the past all too often, 1 team basically "owning" the other for the night - then I probably have to give the edge to Fleury and Cros/Malk/Staal.

The obvious "but" is Bryzgalov and our Team D. If we see March Bryzgalov and March Team D ... we should at least be in for a fair fight.

probably right .. then again it isn't all about "preferential treatment" for #87, it's also that he is one tough fkr to hit. The guy never stays in one place very long and he's always got his head up.

Of course when the opportunity presents itself the Flyers better hit him and hit him good. Malkin too. They have other weapons but those 2 hate getting hit worse than most, and they're both thrown off their games by big hits too. It won't be easy but we better find a way to hammer them every chance we get.

Here's my take:

Rangers in 5 - The Rangers defense is simply too good for the Sens

Bruins in 6 - I think this will be much closer then people think but the Bruins experience, goaltending, and physical style win out in the end

Devils in 5 - I think Florida will steal one but the Devils were the hottest team in the league entering the playoffs.

Penguins in 5

This one kills me but I think we are fighting an uphill battle.

* We are missing our most physical defensemen in Grossman courtesy of a cheap shot by a Pen.

* We are missing our best playoff performer in Briere courtesy of a hit that never should have happened in the last minute of play by a goon line member of the Pens.

* We all know that the Pens will receive any and every questionable call and receive the benefit of more power plays chances as well as more timely power play chances.

Grossmann is back

Briere is back

no worries there. Till the first cheapshot I mean. (jk, sort of)

Should be great either way - all comes down to Bryzgalov...unfortunately (?) or fortunately. I have no idea.

@canoli - me thinks Grossman's our missing link to the next round; he's helped steady Bryz, he's got the pay raise, job security and some rest. Now Get ready for 30 minutes against two of the world's best...

• 2 weeks later...

i have been surprised by the caps, i like that brayden holtby , i watched him some at Hershey, he's a good kid, nice to the mites, i didn't think he would outplay tim thomas and didn't think the caps lockerroom was cohesive enough to overcome the B's

probably right .. then again it isn't all about "preferential treatment" for #87, it's also that he is one tough fkr to hit. The guy never stays in one place very long and he's always got his head up.

apparently you need to skate like 28 to hit that 87...