Best Modern Era (>67) Goalie?

Guest Vanflyer

The Best Goaltender in the Modern ERA?   

8 members have voted

1. 1. Watching Brodeur be a catalyst in the Devils getting to the finals, resurrects the questiong of who is the BEST GOALTENDER IN THE MODERN ERA?

• Ken Dryden
    • Martin Brodeur
    • Tony Esposito
    • Bernie Parent
    • Patrick Roy
    • Vladislav Tretiak

After watching Brodeur have a whale of a game at 40 years young, it raised the question of best goalie of all time in the modern era. Jacque Plante and Terry Sawerchuck would be included in an overall all time, but other than @blocker (:-)), I am not sure any of us were alive to witness their greatness.

The modern era candidates are (with input from others):

1) Ken Dryden

2) Martin Brodeur

3) Tony Esposito

4) Bernie Parent

5) Patrick Roy

6) Vladislav Tetriak

Ken Dryden:

Martin Brodeur:

Tony Espisito:

Bernie Parent:

Patrick Roy:

Vadlislav Tetriak:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VkvqP39e3E

I kept digging for vids (and sent HF101 a note to edit a couple).

I came across this Ken Dryden vid. Not to sway voters any which way, but more to listen to a guy that after all his accolades and achievements, to me epitomizes what being a hockey player means. Listening to him reminds so much of being a kid and having dreams.

I kept digging for vids (and sent HF101 a note to edit a couple).

I came across this Ken Dryden vid. Not to sway voters any which way, but more to listen to a guy that after all his accolades and achievements, to me epitomizes what being a hockey player means. Listening to him reminds so much of being a kid and having dreams.

http://youtu.be/wmLetcxwj6g

Longevity-wise (as in best ever) I'd say Brodeur. The guy has done it all and owns most goaltending records. On a shorter basis (goalie I'd take for a run or one game) I'd have a tough time picking between Patrick Roy and Bernie Parent. Actually,no I wouldn't....Bernie. Roy is too much of a jerk.

I think the lists above are pretty good. But, I think that Jacques Plante was a better goalkeeper than Tony Esposito. When he was in the zone, Roy was unbeatable. He was (and still is), a self-absorbed ass, maybe that's part of why he could be so good. Eddie Giacomin was also a pretty good goalie.

Somebody should write a book about the personalities of goalies. They're a rum bunch. Lorne Worsley was hilarious. It was hard to tell if it was intentional, or if it was Yogi Berra like.

Edited by blocker

Ken Dryden sucks donkey balls.

He had the best D ever in front of him and a bunch of HoFers at forward too. Plus he just annoys me.

He goes out of his way to slag Clarkie, the Flyers and Philadelphia in general in his lame, over-hyped book.

@blocker

I kind of separate Tony from plante as post v. pre-expansion. Tony just started playing when Jacques career was winding down. Certainly if you are talking all time, you would have to list Plante and Sawerchuk into the discussion.

Tretiak was pretty damn good, but if I had to pick a guy to win one game to save the world from annihilation , it would come down to Roy and Broduer, though I think I'd pick Marty 9 out of 10 times, I'd listen to my assistant that had a hunch about PR.

Broduer has been too good for too long , has been a work horse hs whole career, and always seem to make the save that changes a game,never shrinks from the moment. He is a bad ass, no doubt.

# 30 from NJ gets my vote.

@mojo1917

The thing with Brodeur is how much of his success can be attributed to the trap era style of play that the devils played for so long? That is not to discredit him in anyway, but Patrick Roy singlehandedly won not one, but three cups (and corresponding the Conn Smythe award to go along with each of those cup victories).

For the one game, I take the Roy. Hate his personality and character, but he is money when it comes to big games and can win a game all by himself.

@flyercanuck-

Good points on Bernie. I unfortunately did not get to witness him. My inauguration to the Flyers was 1979.

The one thing I would ponder in this hypothetical is the speed of the game, strength of the players and power / force of the shots (not just slap shots).

Roy is an assh*le. With that out of the way, 4 Cups, 3 Conn Smythe Trophies, all time playoff win leader. Marty is a nicer guy (unless you ask his ex wife) and among the all time greats, but Roy has the hardware and the records to be called the best of his era.

• Like 1

@Vanflyer

Well of course goalies today face harder shots from more highly skilled players. But the goalies are also bigger, more athletic and wear way more equipment. It's not as hard for todays goalie to "give you nothing to shoot at" since he's bigger AND wearing twice as much padding.

@Vanflyer

Well of course goalies today face harder shots from more highly skilled players. But the goalies are also bigger, more athletic and wear way more equipment. It's not as hard for todays goalie to "give you nothing to shoot at" since he's bigger AND wearing twice as much padding.

Good points. It always makes me chuckle a bit to see those 70's and even 80's games as compared to now- not only size of player, but equipment (particularly for goalies).