What should have been here

Guest Irishjim

The "wuss" on the left was finally healthy for a playoff run and ended up tied for 1st in playoff goal scoring.

interestingly, tied with giroux and briere, among others. there really were no goal scoring beasts this spring.

no point being made, just weird that giroux and briere were still at the top of that list.

Flyers never have enough patience to win the cup..trade guys away to early..RIchards, Carter, Williams, Fedetanko, Prospal, Zubrus, this list is endless..

I really don't think that argument applies this time. The difference here is, they got younger by trading Carter and Richards. Obviously there is still some tweaking to be done, but the window should be open for the core of the team for a pretty long while.

• Like 1

I really don't think that argument applies this time. The difference here is, they got younger by trading Carter and Richards. Obviously there is still some tweaking to be done, but the window should be open for the core of the team for a pretty long while.

Richards and Carter were drafted and groomed to be our cornerstones to win us the cup..we give them away and they do it for LA, how does this not apply..

so now we have another bunch of young guys we can keep promising Flyers fans one day..and then trade them when there in there prime..

The difference in my opinion was the Kings were able to concentrate on Offense because they knew they had a goalie. Did not see any of the games so I don't know if they had to come back to go on D all the time like the Flyers had do tooooooo many times.

Richards and Carter were drafted and groomed to be our cornerstones to win us the cup..we give them away and they do it for LA, how does this not apply..

so now we have another bunch of young guys we can keep promising Flyers fans one day..and then trade them when there in there prime..

It doesn't apply because they didn't trade away youth for veterans like they have in the past. This time they traded the vets for youth. It's hard to accuse a team of being impatient when they appear to be committing to youth. People can criticize the trades on their merits, but I don't see how anyone can seriously accuse them of being impatient with Richards and Carter. Oh, and you certainly can't say that they were "given away"... They got a very nice return on both trades.

Edited by JackStraw

@orange_crush

They won the Cup because of Quick. If the Flyers got goaltending like that, they might have won it this year. And last year, and the year before that.

And I would hardly say, the Flyers gave them away...we got quite a return for both.

Yeah, Kings winning the Cup sucks...no argument there.

The difference in my opinion was the Kings were able to concentrate on Offense because they knew they had a goalie. Did not see any of the games so I don't know if they had to come back to go on D all the time like the Flyers had do tooooooo many times.

The Kings play solid defense in front of their goalie.

The Flyers are too busy looking for the fast break or the 100' pass out of their own zone.

• Like 1

interestingly, tied with giroux and briere, among others. there really were no goal scoring beasts this spring.

no point being made, just weird that giroux and briere were still at the top of that list.

Giroux (before the game) was still 3rd in playoff scoring or something like that.

Crazy, given the fact that he only played in the 1st 2 rounds.

It doesn't apply because they didn't trade away youth for veterans like they have in the past. This time they traded the vets for youth. It's hard to accuse a team of being impatient when they appear to be committing to youth. People can criticize the trades on their merits, but I don't see how anyone can seriously accuse them of being impatient with Richards and Carter. Oh, and you certainly can't say that they were "given away"... They got a very nice return on both trades.

they might have acquired younger players but Richards and Carter are in the prime of there careers..they could play another 10 years...we went backwards as an organization

@orange_crush

They won the Cup because of Quick. If the Flyers got goaltending like that, they might have won it this year. And last year, and the year before that.

And I would hardly say, the Flyers gave them away...we got quite a return for both.

Yeah, Kings winning the Cup sucks...no argument there.

Quick was insane all playoffs but give the Kings some credit..they won the cup because they were more physical and won the battles against every team....

• Like 1

I think that all teams trade young talent at one time or another. Richards and Carter were not going to win a Cup in Philly. We came close and 2010 and if we had a goalie actually play like one in the first game we might have won. Since 2010 it became pretty obvious that the chances were looking more and more slim we would win with them. There was cap space issues, no bonafide number one goaltender and locked in long term deals.

For the Flyers to get Couterier, Jake, Simmonds and Schenn was a risky but excellent trade at the time. It allowed the team to get younger, it allowed Giroux to develop and it allowed the team to get what it lacked for ages and that is a "stud" goalie (at least at the time).

It's easy to second guess the trades now as Richards and Carter won the cup but Quick won the Cup for the Kings more then any individual player on the Kings (in my opinion)

• Like 2

they might have acquired younger players but Richards and Carter are in the prime of there careers..they could play another 10 years...we went backwards as an organization

I agree that we went backwards but taking a step back to then take two steps forward is something that I can live with. Are you really saying that you would rather still have Carter than Couturier and Voracek? I think that's a steal for the Flyers. The Richards trade is a closer call but I'm fine with it. And again, while Carter and Richards were contributors for the Kings, they won mainly because of Quick. The Flyers don't have Quick, or anyone close to him at this point. If Carter and Richards were still here, the Flyers would not be Stanley Cup champs.

• Like 1

it allowed Giroux to develop

And that is the humungous part right there. If Carter and Richards are still here (Richards especially) Giroux doesn't have the breakout season he just had. And while I like Richards, I'll take G over him 7 days out of 7.

• Like 1

I agree that we went backwards but taking a step back to then take two steps forward is something that I can live with. Are you really saying that you would rather still have Carter than Couturier and Voracek? I think that's a steal for the Flyers. The Richards trade is a closer call but I'm fine with it. And again, while Carter and Richards were contributors for the Kings, they won mainly because of Quick. The Flyers don't have Quick, or anyone close to him at this point. If Carter and Richards were still here, the Flyers would not be Stanley Cup champs.

I just want to win a cup, I don't care who we have on the team..if keeping Richards and Carter wins the cup then yes I keep them..and we were only 2 games away from winning the cup when they were here..

I think that all teams trade young talent at one time or another. Richards and Carter were not going to win a Cup in Philly. We came close and 2010 and if we had a goalie actually play like one in the first game we might have won. Since 2010 it became pretty obvious that the chances were looking more and more slim we would win with them. There was cap space issues, no bonafide number one goaltender and locked in long term deals.

For the Flyers to get Couterier, Jake, Simmonds and Schenn was a risky but excellent trade at the time. It allowed the team to get younger, it allowed Giroux to develop and it allowed the team to get what it lacked for ages and that is a "stud" goalie (at least at the time).

It's easy to second guess the trades now as Richards and Carter won the cup but Quick won the Cup for the Kings more then any individual player on the Kings (in my opinion)

we've been waiting and building for the future for over 20 years..I just want to win..I don't care about potential and possibilities.. I want a cup in reality before I die..

I wonder how many of us would still be laboring over the vagaries and intangibles of those trades had Carter and Richards not been part of a team that won the Cup. I think that last part of the sentence is the most important part. They were far from the two biggest reasons the Kings won, but they were integral parts to a whole. Reinsert them back on the Flyers and you couldn't even pretend to guess we'd have a similar result here

• Like 1