Eklund Saying Leighton to Flyers: "Hearing Done" (E5)

Guest DinahMoeHumm

We can't really say we're surprised can we? The writings been on the wall. When they traded bob and talk switched to Leighton I had a pretty good idea where Homer was going. AJ posted some good stats regarding Leighton and I also agree that Bryz may shine with more games. I try not to get to worked up about these things anymore. Team management has a pretty good grasp and certainly a closer vantage point.

I'm OK with this move and I think Leighton may be getting a bum rap. If I recall correctly, Leighton played very well In 2009-2010 and then got hurt late in the regular season. He never quite got back In the groove, let in that bad goal, hurt his back, got waived, etc. but before all of that happened, he was pretty darn good for us. The Flyers have had plenty of opportunities to evaluate this guy, so I defer to Homer on this one.

Absolutely. It's just the goal that many people remember. This is a business and the Flyers are doing what they think is best. Agree or disagree. Plus, they are saving money. I would not be surprised to see an interesting move or two.

@orange_crush

Didn't we almost win a cup with Leighton and a broken Boucher?

Just saying.....

Ya, but this is BRYZ and leighton.

Most teams must envy our depth at the forward position...but we must be the laughingstock of the entire NHL when it comes to goaltending.

• Like 1

@flyercanuck

After Bob was traded, I could see this move 1,000 miles away. There is no way Homer was going to sign a goalie that would actually challenge Bryzgalov for the starting position.

The real question is which Bryzgalov are we going to get come October?

I don't understand this signing at all...if we don't add another goalie why bother watching this season? you can't win a cup with Bryz and Leighton..

From the team's perspective, the rational is quite easy. They still have all the trust in Bryzgalov and view them as an unquestioned #1 starting goalie who will carry the major load. So in their mind, who the back-up is almost doesn't matter because whoever that guy is, he will play around 20 games. They are not going into the season thinking Bryz woould falter. We fans may not like it, but that's the theory the Flyers are operating with.

@orange_crush

we really need to have a sarcasm font here.... lol

This sums up how I really feel:

"Breaking: Flyers sign Michael Leighton

In a move sure to shake the foundation of the NHL and change the landscape of free agency, the first signing of the day after noon is the Flyers bringing back Michael Leighton, who helped get Philadelphia to within two victories of a Stanley Cup two years ago.

Sure, Leighton didn’t play in the NHL last season and toiled in the minors, but it’s news and we need to keep this thing going. Terms of the deal were not immediately available."

Why? what did he prove to bring that trust?

You are aksing the wrong person. I didn't say *I* have confidence in Bryzgalov. I said the *Flyers* seem to have trust in him.

I am with you as I don't think he radiates confidence at all. I desliked that signing from the beginning and I sure as hell desliked it last season. All I can hope as a Flyer fan is he plays much better than last season and starts justifying the financial commitment the Flyers made. And I think he will play better now that he got one season here under his belt. I am chalking part of his struggles to the fact he tried to live up to th eexpectations and maybe he put too much pressure on himself.

What else can we do if not hope for the better? We are stuck with him...... for better or worse.

You are aksing the wrong person. I didn't say *I* have confidence in Bryzgalov. I said the *Flyers* seem to have trust in him.

I am with you as I don't think he radiates confidence at all. I desliked that signing from the beginning and I sure as hell desliked it last season. All I can hope as a Flyer fan is he plays much better than last season and starts justifying the financial commitment the Flyers made. And I think he will play better now that he got one season here under his belt. I am chalking part of his struggles to the fact he tried to live up to th eexpectations and maybe he put too much pressure on himself.

What else can we do if not hope for the better? We are stuck with him...... for better or worse.

we are stuck with Bryz..but if you signed an adequate backup like a Montoya or Ellis then atleast you have a backup plan...Leighton doesn't even belong in the NHL..

people who keep bringing up Leightons past don't remember he had serious back surgery after that playoffs and was never the same again..he' s finished

It's a longshot, but it's possible?

well, I'm sure most would agree he can only get better? Well, more consistent. With no real threat in the backup roll and a year to have gotten adjusted to the market and media, hopefully he gets to the Bryz we hoped we were getting!

well, I'm sure most would agree he can only get better? Well, more consistent. With no real threat in the backup roll and a year to have gotten adjusted to the market and media, hopefully he gets to the Bryz we hoped we were getting!

There were mixed opinions about what the Flyers were getting in the first place. Gulp.

There were mixed opinions about what the Flyers were getting in the first place. Gulp.

haha, well with Leaky as his back-up, maybe we can finally have a season without a goalie controversy. Wouldn't be the Flyers without one but even if he sucks, will fan really be clamoring for Leaky?

I don't get this "Bryz is so fragile, we can't have a good goalie to back him up" theory. A terrific goalie like Backstrom has a Harding....why can't Bryz have a respectable goalie that the *entire* NHL didn't pass up for free? If he is that far off his rocker, that he can have no one pushing him, perhaps that is something to look into *before* inking him to a 10 year deal...just my theory...LOL!

i don' love it either. I'd have loved the Flyers to get someone better that Leaky. That said, it seemed as though, among other things, the tremendous amount of distractions actually DID get to Bryz. Whether is was the media, pressure from Bob, fans, himself, 24/7, not playing the Winter Classic, getting $51 mil (10m last season alone) and then not really living up to it, what have you, hopefully is a thing of the past and he can maybe have a great season.

perhaps that is something to look into *before* inking him to a 10 year deal...just my theory...LOL!

agree 100%!!! haha

Come on guys... it's a hockey, why you heff to be mad?

Your team won as recently as 3 years ago. Our team didn't win for 37 years. Excuse us if we are not exactly in a cheerful mood. ;)

Edited by Mad Dog