Butthurt is Alive and Well In Pittsburgh

Guest Irishjim

Not that Flyers fans didn't already know that after the Flyers eliminated the Penguins in six games in the Eastern Conference Quarterfinals last season and Claude Giroux eliminated Evgeni Malkin in the EA Sports NHL 13 Cover Vote, but there's still signs.

This picture is from a Greensburg, Pennsylvania Best Buy right outside of Pittsburgh, tweeted in from@BrianFNMcDonald:

http://fnseanc.typep...f38ed970b-320wi

Notice the face of Sidney Crosby on Claude Giroux and the poorly cut out Pens logo covering the Flyers logo. It would of made more sense to have Malkin instead because Crosby wasn't in the Cover Vote.

Follow @FNSeanC and @FlyersNation on Twitter for the latest on the Philadelphia Flyers and like Philadelphia Flyers Nation on Facebook.

Not that Flyers fans didn't already know that after the Flyers eliminated the Penguins in six games in the Eastern Conference Quarterfinals last season and Claude Giroux eliminated Evgeni Malkin in the EA Sports NHL 13 Cover Vote, but there's still signs.

This picture is from a Greensburg, Pennsylvania Best Buy right outside of Pittsburgh, tweeted in from@BrianFNMcDonald:

http://fnseanc.typep...f38ed970b-320wi

Notice the face of Sidney Crosby on Claude Giroux and the poorly cut out Pens logo covering the Flyers logo. It would of made more sense to have Malkin instead because Crosby wasn't in the Cover Vote.

Follow @FNSeanC and @FlyersNation on Twitter for the latest on the Philadelphia Flyers and like Philadelphia Flyers Nation on Facebook.

Woah I've been to that exact Best Buy. It was back when I had a hockey tournament up there about 5 or 6 years ago. I played Guitar Hero for the first time in there. Lol. Glad to see the Pens' fans are still upset but I'm sure the same would happen in Philly if a Penguin was on the cover.

Probably meant to be funny more than anything. The ONLY reason it's Giroux instead of Malkin is the market size difference. Lol

I'm guessing it's more like they didn't want to scare kids off putting Malkins repulsive melon on the cover. The guy is a great player, but he is downright hideous. It doesn't matter what he looks like playing hockey, but you're not using his face to sell anything but cosmetic surgery or Shrek VIII.

I'm guessing it's more like they didn't want to scare kids off putting Malkins repulsive melon on the cover. The guy is a great player, but he is downright hideous. It doesn't matter what he looks like playing hockey, but you're not using his face to sell anything but cosmetic surgery or Shrek VIII.

I'll agree with that! Lol

Its perfect childish behavior involving a picture of the most childish player in the NHL and the most childish team in the NHL.

I expected nothing less.

Yeah you're right... Sid drove to the mall with a self portrait and did it personally. It wasn't the 17 year old clerk at the video game store. ;)

thats a good spin on it "Market Size" (Faceplam)

Flyers market size is the 4th largest DMA in the country...

Penguins market size is 23rd DMA in the country...

Oh no, you couldn't possibly have more fans to vote for Giroux. Do you really think everyone thinks Giroux is a better player? How much hardware did he take home this season??

I'll buy the Malkin is ugly theory, but to say market size doesn't matter? Ridiculous.

Edited by Polaris922

Oh no, you couldn't possibly have more fans to vote for Giroux. Do you really think everyone thinks Giroux is a better player? How much hardware did he take home this season??

I'll buy the Malkin is ugly theory, but to say market size doesn't matter? Ridiculous.

I think a lot of people jumped on the Flyers' side during the playoffs series between us. Mainly after Game 3. They also got to see their first glimpses of Giroux as a star in that series. Reading the HF Boards, a lot of people started hating on the Penguins in that series and then after it was over went back to hating the Flyers.

I can take the market size argument but I think that playoff series really helped propel Giroux into the top. I'm surprised I haven't seen Crosby on the cover yet, though I'll probably have to get a custom cover that year if he or any Penguin (chances are it would be Malkin or Letang, both of whom I hate) ends up being on it.

I think a lot of people jumped on the Flyers' side during the playoffs series between us. Mainly after Game 3. They also got to see their first glimpses of Giroux as a star in that series. Reading the HF Boards, a lot of people started hating on the Penguins in that series and then after it was over went back to hating the Flyers.

I can take the market size argument but I think that playoff series really helped propel Giroux into the top. I'm surprised I haven't seen Crosby on the cover yet, though I'll probably have to get a custom cover that year if he or any Penguin (chances are it would be Malkin or Letang, both of whom I hate) ends up being on it.

I don't think that series had much to do with Giroux being there at all. Only die hard NHL/video hockey fans really bother to vote. And powers that be even acknowledge multiple voting weighs in heavily. They limit you to 10 votes a day. Multiply that times the disparity in market size and your economics professor will be proud! Lol

going by your theory only players from the top 5 demographics would grace the cover of any video game. then explain to me why peyton hillis got last years Madden cover over leshon mccoy. ;last i checked cleveland is much smaller than philly and that was voted on as well. so flush that theory and pour me a beer :)
  • Like 2

I don't think that series had much to do with Giroux being there at all. Only die hard NHL/video hockey fans really bother to vote. And powers that be even acknowledge multiple voting weighs in heavily. They limit you to 10 votes a day. Multiply that times the disparity in market size and your economics professor will be proud! Lol

And no die-hard NHL/video game hockey fans were influenced by that series? It may not have been the absolute main reason Giroux won but when it comes down to only 4 players left in the voting, the fans of other teams are still going to vote for who they prefer. I'm sure it wasn't only Flyers fans voting for Giroux. There are plenty of factors but I doubt that the market share one is the absolute most important one.

@PHI Flyers10 I'm sure not only Flyer fans voted for G also....he's a hot commodity in the league right now. The guy most likely to break the 100 point barrier that has not done it yet, on the very cusp of super stardom. Fans of the sport in general like that kinda thing. Plus, the kids (12-20 year old crowd, the same kinda demographic that would buy a video game BTW) like his sick moves, he does stuff with the puck (at full speed and standing still) you just don't see everyday. McKeen's chose G for the cover of their new Hockey Pool mag, and that is the second cover I've seen him on.....they chose G because they know his presence on the front will sell copies of their preview mags.

@PHI Flyers10 I'm sure not only Flyer fans voted for G also....he's a hot commodity in the league right now. The guy most likely to break the 100 point barrier that has not done it yet, on the very cusp of super stardom. Fans of the sport in general like that kinda thing. Plus, the kids (12-20 year old crowd, the same kinda demographic that would buy a video game BTW) like his sick moves, he does stuff with the puck (at full speed and standing still) you just don't see everyday. McKeen's chose G for the cover of their new Hockey Pool mag, and that is the second cover I've seen him on.....they chose G because they know his presence on the front will sell copies of their preview mags.

I agree. If it was just 50 players and whoever got the most votes out of one session wins, then polaris' argument would be stronger, but since it was like a playoff tree, Giroux would get more votes from other fans as their players got eliminated.

going by your theory only players from the top 5 demographics would grace the cover of any video game. then explain to me why peyton hillis got last years Madden cover over leshon mccoy. ;last i checked cleveland is much smaller than philly and that was voted on as well. so flush that theory and pour me a beer :)

It was Hillis over Vick in the final. That Vick the Felon even got there lends credence to market size because 1. People hate him as a human, and 2. He sucks. I'd find it hard to believe anyone outside if Eagles faithful would vote for him in any kind of numbers.

I'm not trying to say Giroux is overrated or any such nonsense. He plays with passion AND talent. What I'm saying is Malkin outplayed him in every facet of the game last season EXCEPT playoff production, and I think most true hockey fans realize that had as much to do with Fleury as it did with Giroux. Head to head in same size markets, I think Malkin would win that comparison. As it stands, 5 million more people in your home market times ten votes per day each is what I think made the difference.

Malkin isn't Crosby. He doesn't gather the jealousy/hatred Crosby does. Take away Flyers fans and Pens fans, and compare based solely on the player and not the team, Malkin wins.

Fortunately I'm not a sports video gamer, so I don't have to see that ugly Giroux fella on my shelf anyway ;)