Flyers versus Chicago: What does a Comparison Reveal?

Howie58

Howie, god bless you for being a teacher. Excellent post. Rux great add-in. I think it is even simplier. The Flyers have Snider as owner. In his zeal to always win at basically whatever cost he forces the organization and GM's hand to make moves they should not. Everything is a short-term strategy. Snider is a desperate man trying to win that desperate cup that has eluded him since he put a team the in the mid-70's that could win with a brusing style that was allowed in the NHL at that time. Snider does not understand that building a Cup winner is an organic and internal process. And it takes years. Snider simply lacks the patience. He is always trying to short-circuit the cycle. And, it is reinforced by many of the Flyers Faithful mentality of gotta have the Cup now. This year. Chicago is a good example of how it is done.

So essentially what you are saying is the management is the problem.

I agree. The constant for years has been snider and his hiring of former Flyers in key management positions. I get loyalty but c'mon, its time to go in a different direction. I think Snider cannot let go of the past and as he gets older, his perceptions are much like those of Al Davis, Skewed.

• Like 1

So essentially what you are saying is the management is the problem.

I agree. The constant for years has been snider and his hiring of former Flyers in key management positions. I get loyalty but c'mon, its time to go in a different direction. I think Snider cannot let go of the past and as he gets older, his perceptions are much like those of Al Davis, Skewed.

The Coach:

Yes that is exactly what I am saying.

Management is the problem, but Ownership is the bigger problem.

It has to start at the top or the fans of this franchise are in for a long wait. They will get close, but it will be a long wait.

BOI

Yes, and that bias certainly exists with the Flyers. It might do the Flyers some good to get rid of the dinosaurs who run the show and are living in the past, and get guys with a more modern perspective of the game. Lindros, LeClair, etc.

LeClair, of course, being an obvious product of the NCAA system...

And Ray Emery wins again - 5-0 now on the year. The 2 goals he gave up were to ... Mike Richards.

Ray Emery, 5-0 for $1.15 million. Well he's UFA this summer...love to see Bryzgalov gone and Emery back in the O&B.

I can't believe anyone would want Emery over Bryzgalov. As a Pens fan I implore you to make that happen!

• Like 1

the old what if ?

i cannot find fault with the flyers from moving on from Emery after the degenerative bone diagnosis.

I just can't , i'm happy for him that he's back to playing hockey at the highest level but his case is the exception, how would he hold up being the man ?

a platoon of him and Bobdrovsky ? maybe but like Matt Carle water under the bridge. in Emery's case he beat long odds good for him.

that's a tough one for me to be angry over.

• Like 1

the old what if ?

i cannot find fault with the flyers from moving on from Emery after the degenerative bone diagnosis.

I just can't , i'm happy for him that he's back to playing hockey at the highest level but his case is the exception, how would he hold up being the man ?

a platoon of him and Bobdrovsky ? maybe but like Matt Carle water under the bridge. in Emery's case he beat long odds good for him.

that's a tough one for me to be angry over.

I totally agree. The Flyers can't dwell on Emery. They had to move on because the risk of not moving on was greater than any potential reward that he would have returned to top form. He played well for the Flyers before his condition took him out but he wasn't lighting it up enough to provide management any justification to try to salvage him. Remember the Flyers took a gamble signing him in the first place. He came with the reputation of being a head case and a potential locker room divider. I'm sure Ray is playing well with Chicago but lets be honest. You can put any slightly above average goalie on that team and they would likely be equally successful.

I can't believe anyone would want Emery over Bryzgalov. As a Pens fan I implore you to make that happen!

I wouldn't take Emery over Bryzgalov, but I'd take him over TweedleDee and TweedleDumb (Boucher & Leighton, respectively).