Guest sekkes85

If Briere is unwilling to move his NMC, like speculation is saying, then I would definitely buy him out. Serves him right

He would still get all of his money & then have full control over where he wants to play. How is that a bad thing for Briere?

He would still get all of his money & then have full control over where he wants to play. How is that a bad thing for Briere?

I really don't see any incentive for Briere to waive his NTC. The incentive is there to refuse it. The buyout money would be like a signing bonus once he signs somewhere else.

At that point I wouldnt care about how it is for Briere. My only concern would be to rid myslef of his contract. Good luck. good bye

The Flyers do have to ASK him to waive it.

They have not.

i know they have to ask him. I was under the impression that he may have been asked and was refusing.

How do you know they haven't?

I see it like this, you go to Briere and tell him the team is moving in a different direction and he is not part of their future plans. You say we want to move you to a contending team so you can have a shot at a good playoff run. Thanks you for all your service, will you waive your clause?

Why would he refuse? If he does, screw him! Buy him out and let him go. You still get what you want, he is gone, and he gets to miss out on a chance for the cup this year. its in his best interest to agree

I really don't see any incentive for Briere to waive his NTC. The incentive is there to refuse it. The buyout money would be like a signing bonus once he signs somewhere else.

Can you elborate..... what do you mean the incentive is there to refuse it? Why would you want to stay where you aren't wanted, playing for a team that is essentially throwing in the towel?

i know they have to ask him. I was under the impression that he may have been asked and was refusing.

How do you know they haven't?

I see it like this, you go to Briere and tell him the team is moving in a different direction and he is not part of their future plans. You say we want to move you to a contending team so you can have a shot at a good playoff run. Thanks you for all your service, will you waive your clause?

Why would he refuse? If he does, screw him! Buy him out and let him go. You still get what you want, he is gone, and he gets to miss out on a chance for the cup this year. its in his best interest to agree

Only what was reported in the newspaper that he hadn't been asked to waive it.

Again, for the record, I expect him to be bought out after next season. I do not expect him to be traded nor the Flyers to pick up assets for it

Only what was reported in the newspaper that he hadn't been asked to waive it.

Again, for the record, I expect him to be bought out after next season. I do not expect him to be traded nor the Flyers to pick up assets for it

This.

Briere has delivered what was asked of him. He never reached his point totals from Buffalo in the regular season, but his postseason performances make him worth it, at least for me. On top of that, he is excellent in the community, and he has mentored our young guys and done a great job at it. Would Giroux be the same player he is today if he were mentored by Lupes and Cartsy? Richie? Maybe, maybe not... I don't pretend to know what happens behind the scenes, but living with Briere gave the guy some structure and maturity. It's probably the same with Couturier.

Nothing wrong with asking him for a trade, but he negotiated the right to not be moved, and Holmgren gave it to him.

Buying him out at the end of next year makes sense. It removes him as a trading chip this year or next, but hey, blame Holmgren not Briere.

• Like 2

So lets assume they go to Briere and ask him to waive his clause. Instead of accepting a trade to a contender, he counters back with..... I've been great in the playoffs, I've been great in the community, and I am a great locker room guy. On top of that I have been a great mentor, therefore I don't want to be traded?

That sounds like a compelling argument of why you personally want him to stay, but that does not sound like his best interest.

Now, if he counters with, "I want to keep my family in Philly and finish my career here", I see that as best interests. Assuming briere is good at business, he has to be aware of his market value. Right now he can use his playoff value as a chip to get traded to a contending team. If he accepted a trade, and had his usual playoff production, he could use that to springboard negotiating at a new contract. As it stands, he is slated to make 3 mil next season and 2 mil the following. By not accepting a trade, he could end up not being in the playoffs and bought out at seasons end. The market for him would be weaker and he would be shopping for a team coming off a shortened season and reduced production on his part.

The only way your scenario is in his best interest, is if the Flyers run deep into the playoffs, he produces, and the team keeps him for the remainder of his contract.

Good luck with that!

I don't personally care if he stays or not.

I'm merely reporting what has been reported.

I'll be pleasantly surprised if they get anything for Briere before buying him out.

Which, to me, is better than being disappointed when they don't.

I got ya... I won't be disappointed. I'm just saying I think they need to push this scenario. I think Briere would take it and holds some value to get return for him. Boston and teams like that will be willing to add a player of Briere's ilk. Homer needs to squeeze them, and Briere

I got ya... I won't be disappointed. I'm just saying I think they need to push this scenario. I think Briere would take it and holds some value to get return for him. Boston and teams like that will be willing to add a player of Briere's ilk. Homer needs to squeeze them, and Briere

OK, in the other thread you're talking about "inflicting damage" on the Craps in advance of the playoffs and here you're talking about giving Boston a proven playoff performer.

I don't think those two things quite match up, eh?

I don' think they are even remotely connected. What does one have to do with the other?

If I was GM, I would be trying to move Kimmo and Danny and get some good return for them. Then assuming I have another goalie option to go after, buy out Bryz. Yes I would be essentially packing it in and rebuilding.

However, since that isn't happening, and you have to play the games, YOU PLAY TO WIN. Since they aren't out of the playoffs yet, you have to assume you have a chance. The Flyers and Caps have hated each other forever and earlier int eh season, one of theirs "cheaped" one of ours. So, you have a chance late in the game to deliver a hard hit, you take it. Its not like he boarded the guy with his elbows up

One the one end you're talking about a marginal playoff team and taking a cheap shot on a nobody in garbage time.

On the other you're talking about shipping a proven playoff performer to a Conference rival who is currently 4th in the Conference.

Both moves seem to me to be completely counterproductive to helping the Flyers in the playoffs.

Your mileage may vary.

@flyercanuck

His chances at a cup are better if he allows himself to be bought out. I don't doubt there will be any number of suitors for Briere if he should hit the open market. His playoff stats alone will get him a good deal on a cup contending team (of his choosing).

@Hexy27

Well if he waits til he gets bought out he can pretty much kiss this year goodbye. And likely next. That's two less chances. My guess is by then Dannys playoff magic will have all but left him.

Boston has interest in him. Not sure how you can get any better a chance than with them.

Edited by flyercanuck

So lets assume they go to Briere and ask him to waive his clause. Instead of accepting a trade to a contender, he counters back with..... I've been great in the playoffs, I've been great in the community, and I am a great locker room guy. On top of that I have been a great mentor, therefore I don't want to be traded?

That sounds like a compelling argument of why you personally want him to stay, but that does not sound like his best interest.

Now, if he counters with, "I want to keep my family in Philly and finish my career here", I see that as best interests. Assuming briere is good at business, he has to be aware of his market value. Right now he can use his playoff value as a chip to get traded to a contending team. If he accepted a trade, and had his usual playoff production, he could use that to springboard negotiating at a new contract. As it stands, he is slated to make 3 mil next season and 2 mil the following. By not accepting a trade, he could end up not being in the playoffs and bought out at seasons end. The market for him would be weaker and he would be shopping for a team coming off a shortened season and reduced production on his part.

The only way your scenario is in his best interest, is if the Flyers run deep into the playoffs, he produces, and the team keeps him for the remainder of his contract.

Good luck with that!

How do you know what his best interests are? At this point in his career, maybe he's fine with staying in Philly, maybe getting a shot at a Cup, and having stability for his family. The Cup might not be important enough for him to go through big changes for him and his family with another team. People make career decisions based on family all the time. He's got a lot of French Canadian peers with him, and he has guaranteed stability for 3 years (or less if he's bought out).

At the end of the day, he can't control whether or not he's bought out, but he can control whether or not he's traded.

I'd love to see him moved for a young player that could improve this team. But I totally respect him saying "nope, I'm staying right here".

• Like 2

One the one end you're talking about a marginal playoff team and taking a cheap shot on a nobody in garbage time.

On the other you're talking about shipping a proven playoff performer to a Conference rival who is currently 4th in the Conference.

Both moves seem to me to be completely counterproductive to helping the Flyers in the playoffs.

Your mileage may vary.

Oh, now its a cheap shot? I thought it was unnecessary. But now its cheap. Ok

I don't get why this is so tough for you. I think the Flyers should try to pressure Briere to accept a trade. I think they should also trade Timmonen. I think they can get good return on those two players, then work toward building this team for the future. Howver, until that happens, or if it doesn't happen, they play as hard as they can to go as far as they can. If they get to the playoffs, anything can happen.

How do you know what his best interests are? At this point in his career, maybe he's fine with staying in Philly, maybe getting a shot at a Cup, and having stability for his family. The Cup might not be important enough for him to go through big changes for him and his family with another team. People make career decisions based on family all the time. He's got a lot of French Canadian peers with him, and he has guaranteed stability for 3 years (or less if he's bought out).

At the end of the day, he can't control whether or not he's bought out, but he can control whether or not he's traded.

I'd love to see him moved for a young player that could improve this team. But I totally respect him saying "nope, I'm staying right here".

I don't know what his best interest are any more than you or Radoran do. And I think I said clearly that the decision to stay where he wants, especially for his family, would be in his best interest. My opinion is just that, an opinion. It seems logical to me that any player who has a chance to go to a cup contending team, especially when he is in the final years of a contract that will pay him less, on a team that is most likely ready to part ways with him, would jump at the chance. If he waits until after the season, and say Boston wins the cup, they won't have much demand for him like they do now. Its a gamble.

Like you said though, its his right to stay, and if he does, than that's his choice

Oh, now its a cheap shot? I thought it was unnecessary. But now its cheap. Ok

Oh, blah blah blah. Please. Yes, it was a cheap shot. An unnecessary hit is a cheap shot.

You have no problem with it because a Flyer did it. If it happened to a Flyer you would likely have a different opinion.

You're a homer. Own it. Nothing wrong with it, in general.

I don't get why this is so tough for you. I think the Flyers should try to pressure Briere to accept a trade. I think they should also trade Timmonen. I think they can get good return on those two players, then work toward building this team for the future. Howver, until that happens, or if it doesn't happen, they play as hard as they can to go as far as they can. If they get to the playoffs, anything can happen.

It's not tough at all. These players have no movement clauses. Even if you "pressure" them into waiving it, they have control over where they go.

Remember, again, Gagne for Walker and a 4th. Joy. Rapture. Walker was a real impacct player for the Flyers and that 4th was a good depth pick for... well, somebody, i'm pretty sure.

Why is it so hard for you to understand that the team hasn't asked them to waive yet (by all reports), is unlikely to do so (just re-signed Timonen) and won't garner much return if they did?

I would send both of them away in a heartbeat if I could get value for them - but I didn't give them the no movement clause and I didn't re-sign Timonen for $6M next season.

Stop trying to imply that all I'm doing is saying "don't trade Briere." I'm saying a) it is unlikely he will be traded b) he has full control if he is and c) the return isn't going to be all that much. Why is that "so tough" for you? Why do you insist on continually projecting what you *want* me to be saying instead of listening to WHAT I AM SAYING.

Keep believing there's a 22-year-old potential stud defenseman or a 1st round pick circling around out there that Briere is "refusing" to allow the Flyers to go get.

IMO you're just going to be disappointed.

Ok, stop filling in the blanks with crap I have never said. I never said anything about a 22 year old stud defenseman, or a 1 st round pick. i hear what you are saying, you just keep deflecting and changing/ignoring the topic.

First, you are right, I am a TOTAL homer. I am not an NHL fan, I am a Flyer fan. Eric Lindros was my favorite player until the day he left. The second he was gone, I hated him.

Second, if you want to believe what the media has to report, go ahead

Third, I'll see your Gagne and a 4th for Wlaker, and I'll raise you a Zhitnik for Coburn

NHL teams going into the deadline, with their eyes set on a cup run, are more willing to spend for what they need now, and less at teh beginning of the next season. Just becasue Timmonen signed, doesn't mean he won't be moved. Just becasue the medai reported Briere won't waive his clause, doesn't mean thats true. I never said any specific they would get in return, but I would be willing to bet they hold high value and could bring back something useful.

A cheap shot is one that is illegal. An unnecessary one is one that didn't need to happen. They are totally different. And since you obviously didn't read it the first time I posted (proof you don't hear what I am saying), yes I would be pissed if the hit was done to a Flyer. I would want retribution and blood. But I wouldn't say it was "cheap", "illegal", or unnecessary

I don't know what his best interest are any more than you or Radoran do. And I think I said clearly that the decision to stay where he wants, especially for his family, would be in his best interest. My opinion is just that, an opinion. It seems logical to me that any player who has a chance to go to a cup contending team, especially when he is in the final years of a contract that will pay him less, on a team that is most likely ready to part ways with him, would jump at the chance. If he waits until after the season, and say Boston wins the cup, they won't have much demand for him like they do now. Its a gamble.

Like you said though, its his right to stay, and if he does, than that's his choice

You're right, I don't know what his interests are either. All I'm saying is that a chance at the Cup is not first on every player's list at any given time. That priority probably ebbs and flows over your career, competing interests, what shape your body's in, family, etc.

At the end of the day, he can sit in Philly or at home... either way, he's getting paid for the next 3 years.