Briere Not Interested in Waiving NMC

radoran

No, what LTIR allows you to do is exceed the cap by up to the amount of the player's salary, in order to replace the player's salary. However, you only get enough cap relief to allow you to make it to Pronger's 4.9 million, regardless of how much cap room you have. So if a team is against the cap when they place a player on LTIR, they get the full cap hit. If a team is under the cap by one million and they place a player with a two million dollar salary on LTIR, they only get one million in additional relief, because that's what they need to be able to fit the player's replacement salary under the cap. If the Flyers had 5 million of cap space, and placed Pronger on LTIR, they would get no relief.

However, it's not a one-for-one deal, either. If the Flyers are at the ceiling and place Pronger on LTIR, they get to replace his full salary. So they could conceiveably add 4 players at 1 million and one at 900k if they chose.

@radoran

"Sure, sit Briere for the end of this season. You're only paying him $7M. That'll learn him."

I think it would in the sense that he would never play professional hockey again. However, that is just a petty scenario that would never happen.

In my opinion, Briere would waive to go to the right team. St. Louis is not the right team. I'd rather skate for Stalin than play for Ken Hitchcock. Or that seems to be the general consensus around the league.

From what I hear, Hitch isn't the nazi he once was.

@flyercanuck

Must be slipping in his old age.... :o

I read an article on him a couple of years ago and he was saying he thought maybe it was time to slow down and not take things so seriously. And he said he meant that in his style of coaching, that the game was changing and todays athletes won't put up with the "my way or the highway" style. Lets face it, it wore thin a decade or two ago. You could get away with it for 2 or 3 years maybe.

And he said he meant that in his style of coaching, that the game was changing and todays athletes won't put up with the "my way or the highway" style. Lets face it, it wore thin a decade or two ago. You could get away with it for 2 or 3 years maybe.

Another reason why the whole "tell Briere to let us gain an asset by kicking him to the curb" doesn't really play in the "modern NHL."

Like it or not. And, for the record, I don't...

@radoran\

You know how I feel about those NMCs and NTCs. I get why you have to offer them sometimes. The Flyers hand them out like cross-dressers handing out body rub coupons at Times Square on a Friday night...I hear.

Times Square is like a Disney theme park these days, but the overall point is valid.

Again - just playing the hand we're dealt instead of the hand we might wish had been dealt.

Guess it's been awhile since I was in NYC.

But as we sit with Brieres contract, Timonens, Bryzgalovs, Prongers (Homer lucked out with the LTIR) you'd think the gm would come to the realization these things are giant boat anchors and nothing more.

Guess it's been awhile since I was in NYC.

But as we sit with Brieres contract, Timonens, Bryzgalovs, Prongers (Homer lucked out with the LTIR) you'd think the gm would come to the realization these things are giant boat anchors and nothing more.

Look, these moves "had to be made" when they were made. There were no alternatives. They had to happen. No choice.

Now they "have to" get rid of the guys that they "had to" bring in.

And the circle remains unbroken.

Thy shall be released, unless you have a NMC.

Look, these moves "had to be made" when they were made. There were no alternatives. They had to happen. No choice.

Now they "have to" get rid of the guys that they "had to" bring in.

And the circle remains unbroken.

Thy shall be released, unless you have a NMC.

Meanwhile we watch teams who haven't won a cup in even longer than us...win!

Meanwhile we watch teams who haven't won a cup in even longer than us...win!

Instead of flailing around in the ocean hoping to grab a life preserver or a passing piece of wood, perhaps it would be more effective to learn to swim.

@radoran

Nothing in that article said that he won't waive his NMC.

He said all the right things to a reporter but never said he "Won't waive his NMC."

You nailed it. Could not say it any better.

What will really tell the tale is when Briere does waive is NMC and goes to play for a division rival, like Boston, a true contender. How many cups does Mr. Briere have?

That will be The inditement on this Flyers team. All from that cute, nice, always polite, always a teammate, Danny B.

Let's not forget this is above all a business. Dany has held up his end of the bargain. You make your bed, you sleep in it Mr. Holmgren.

Briere can drive his three kids to Quebec to see family a lot faster from the Bay State than Philly..

Go Flyers!

@radoran

"And Briere could easily say "no, thanks, I'll stay here and you get nothing for buying me out."

I know it sounds petty, but he can watch the game from the pressbox with Shelly for the remainder of his career if he goes that route.

It that defenceman Rathke (sp) still up in that press box too? Maybe they can make some more room by making Pronger a defenceman coach. I know that at least he would get his defencemen's attention.

• Like 1

You nailed it. Could not say it any better.

What will really tell the tale is when Briere does waive is NMC and goes to play for a division rival, like Boston, a true contender. How many cups does Mr. Briere have?

That will be The inditement on this Flyers team. All from that cute, nice, always polite, always a teammate, Danny B.

Let's not forget this is above all a business. Dany has held up his end of the bargain. You make your bed, you sleep in it Mr. Holmgren.

Briere can drive his three kids to Quebec to see family a lot faster from the Bay State than Philly..

Go Flyers!

Yes it is a business and Briere held up his end of the bargain but you can say the same thing about Holmgren and the Flyers. Remember Holmgren added on two years to make the cap hit lower, so instead of Briere getting a 6 year deal worth $47 or $48 million, he signed an 8 year deal for $52 million. So Briere knew full well that he was going to get his $47 million in the first 6 years, and there was a possibility of him being traded. But going into next season, the Flyers will have to shed payroll to get under the cap ceiling and buying out Briere would make sense.

• Like 1

The Danny Briere of two years ago would have had 2 goals last night. He's definately lost a step. He somehow still seems to find it in the postseason, but if he doesn't find it sooner there may not be one. But it's his playoff performances that teams will want come deadline.I'd love to send him to Boston for Malcolm Subban.

Yes it is a business and Briere held up his end of the bargain but you can say the same thing about Holmgren and the Flyers. Remember Holmgren added on two years to make the cap hit lower, so instead of Briere getting a 6 year deal worth $47 or $48 million, he signed an 8 year deal for $52 million. So Briere knew full well that he was going to get his $47 million in the first 6 years, and there was a possibility of him being traded. But going into next season, the Flyers will have to shed payroll to get under the cap ceiling and buying out Briere would make sense.

So he signed a deal with a No Movement Clause because "he knew" he might be traded?

The Flyers added the extra years to lower the cap hit. Same reason Pronger was "going to play" at 42 and 43 for $525K.

I fully expect Briere to be bought out after 2013-14, but it is because the Flyers have the compliance buyouts.

If there is a trade, it will be on Briere's terms. Sort of like getting Matt Walker and a 4th for Gagne.

So he signed a deal with a No Movement Clause because "he knew" he might be traded?

The Flyers added the extra years to lower the cap hit. Same reason Pronger was "going to play" at 42 and 43 for $525K.

I fully expect Briere to be bought out after 2013-14, but it is because the Flyers have the compliance buyouts.

If there is a trade, it will be on Briere's terms. Sort of like getting Matt Walker and a 4th for Gagne.

Rad, Briere has been around the block to know that there is always a possibility for a NHL player to be traded that's why he probably insisted on a nmc in his contract so he could control where he would end up if traded. As for the compliance buyouts, I thought they had to be used before the start of next season?