Karl Alzner (Caps) answers a question about Flyers Fans

tdflyers

What are some of your memories of playing in these rivalry games against the Philadelphia Flyers?

"With us being being close that is one big thing -- you have our fans going up there and their fans coming here. Playing in their building is ... it is one of those places where you don’t tell your family to come because you are worried about what might happen to them in the stands. That alone can get you more antsy, a little more into the game. There’s been so many times where guys are yelling at fans, fans yelling at the guys as we are walking through the tunnel. Just little things like that.

"When you think of hostile environments, you think about walking through that tunnel in Philadelphia. I probably have more memories from the fans than the games themselves, but it is just fun, fun to play a hard team like that."

Source

Really? Where is your family sitting? 700 level wearing their Caps gear? Come on, their in the club boxes not being bothered.

I agreed, that when other team's fans come in and make an ass out of themselves, they get harased. But if they sit there quietly, 9 times out of 10 nothing happens.

I have been to a fair share of games and I have never witnessed Flyers fans do anything other than taunt opposing fans. Never anything like what Alzner claims. The only thing I saw that came close to this was when we were playing Montreal at home in the playoffs a few years ago. Some Canadiens fans were taunting Flyers fans. The Flyers fans were giving it back pretty good (verbally) and eventually the three Canadiens fans dumped their sodas on a Flyers fan who was a kid. Security was on them within minutes and they got tossed out in the second period.

• Like 1

Source

Really? Where is your family sitting? 700 level wearing their Caps gear? Come on, their in the club boxes not being bothered.

I agreed, that when other team's fans come in and make an ass out of themselves, they get harased. But if they sit there quietly, 9 times out of 10 nothing happens.

Maybe back in the old Spectrum in a different era. Although the big fights with blood drenched people I saw was actually in the old Cap Centre (US Air).

But not in the bank building. Most of the lower bowl fans are too busy on their smart phones trading on the stock market.

Case in point: I was at a game not long ago where there was some dude in a Brodeur jersey (yes, in Philly) carrying on. He was doing it in jest and he took some catcalls from folks in the area, but it never rose to the level that anyone was actually serious in any way. It was really all in good fun.

Source

It's a bitch having your family taunted by guy's in suits in those club boxes let me tell ya. I was in a club box and they were pelting me with 100 dollar bills, I was petrified :lol:

• Like 1

I have been to a fair share of games and I have never witnessed Flyers fans do anything other than taunt opposing fans. Never anything like what Alzner claims. The only thing I saw that came close to this was when we were playing Montreal at home in the playoffs a few years ago. Some Canadiens fans were taunting Flyers fans. The Flyers fans were giving it back pretty good (verbally) and eventually the three Canadiens fans dumped their sodas on a Flyers fan who was a kid. Security was on them within minutes and they got tossed out in the second period.

I was at a Phantoms and Hershey game a little while back, when they actually played in philly, and a Hershey fan was an obnoxious SOB, taunting away, and I seen incredible restraint until he announced his needing to go take a P and he had a couple of kind gentleman help show him where it was. Much to my surprise he never came back. Hmmmm

Every arena with fans in attendance is the same nowadays, lightly oversimplifying. Same issues, different town.

Not in Toronto.

You've got the sushi eating, candyfloss martini drinking suits in the lower half. In the upper half you've got real Leaf fans who are so fed up with the product and so frustrated with where corporations have sent ticket prices they're the ones hurling insults and laying beatings on the unsuspecting jerks who've spent the entire game in the glow of their smartphones. Ok, I made that up, but you can dream, right?