2013 NHL Draft

flyercanuck

With the mediocre play of our beloved Flyers and the chance of postseason play starting to look less than 50/50, thought we could start looking at the draft hypothetically. No, I'm not throwing in the towel, waiving the white flag, or hoping Bryz plays out the rest of the year to essentially tank and move up in the draft.

We've had discussions of who to take between Jones, MacKinnon and Drouin. But as Flyer fans, we know there's no way we're getting the top rated player at a position we need help in. So maybe we can start looking, realistically, at the draft. Right now the Flyers sit 20th in the NHL, but have played more games than everyone below them but Buffalo. That says they will likely drop a couple more spots. That won't get you Jones, not with our luck. But the draft looks essentially to be 3 great picks, then maybe 7 or 8 really good ones, then it drops off to rolling the dice. If the season ended today..

Darnell Nurse D Soo Greyhounds- unless we drop, or he does, he'll likely go higher than we pick. 6'5' 200 lbs great all around athlete 11 g 26 a this kid has the full tool box. Good news he has athletic pedigree, bad news its Donovan McNabb.

Rasmus Ristolainen D- this guy has size (6'4" 207), skating ability, a bit of a mean streak and some offensive talent. And he's Finnish so he's already half North American - hockey-wise. We'd have to pick before Columbus' second 1st rounder to get a Finn I'd bet.

Ryan Pulock comes from the defenceman assembly line WHL - 6'1" 210 lbs 14 g 30 a great shot, really good puck carrier needs to work on his play without it.

@flyercanuck

Rasmus Ristolainen: from what I have seen is along the lines of what the Flyers are sorely missing. However, if I understand correctly, his defensive prowess needs work. Perhaps he would be a player along the lines of Matt Carle.

Ryan Pulock: this is very interesting. He possesses decent size and appears to have great vision on the ice. That may help in their transition game. I would lean more to him than Ristolainen.

Darnell Nurse: darnell_nurse_dmf.jpg

HE IS WEARING A FLYERS JERSEY FOR CRYING OUT LOUD.

In all seriousness, this is the player that I would love to see the Flyers draft. He's got all the tools that the club needs in a future defensemen. Only problem is I do not see him being on the board when it comes time to pick.

From everything I am reading, Nurse will go in the top 10. Question? Would you be willing to trade the Flyers 1st and a roster player to move up to get Nurse? If so who is the player?

• Like 1

@Bertmega As much as I hate to say it, if they were picking 4th, they just have to take Barkov....of course, you could make a deal to swing down, get a legit NHL dman in the process of moving down and still get another dman with the pick....don't see us drafting 4th though...

@jammer2

No I don't either Jammer. In all reality, I see the Flyers drafting between 10 and 15 which could see us getting Ristolainen, Zadorov or Morrissey. With all of those, I'd almost lean towards Morrissey. I know he needs to add some muscle, but he seems to be exactly what this team is missing with his skating and offensive prowess.

Luke Schenn is young and only going to get better and may one day prove to be a great pairing.

However, if Nurse is on the board, I'd go with him all day long.

If, however, the Flyers draft that high (4th), you're right they have to go Barkov. Meanwhile Nashville fans are saying how does Philly stockpile all these centers as we question how they stock pile all those defensemen.

@Bertmega Barkov would give you immediate leverage for a d-man, a team like the Leafs or St.Louis...or the Habs...who have been missing a legit #1 center for eons.....they would be offering up guys like Shattenkirk, Gardiner among others...at least something to think on, but again, really doubting that #4 spot, like you said also.

• Like 1

OK, so beating Buffalo is not going to help our draft positioning. For the love of God, can we get someone from Pens management to teach this franchise the proper way to tank? Alright, all kidding aside, check out the shift from Jonathan Drouin

@flyercanuck

I'm so excited by the 2013 draft I can barely contain myself. Through trades and picks, I ended up owning Jones, Drouin and Sasha Barkov - all top 5 picks most likely. Drouin is a special talent no doubt. His game is very similar to Pat Kane. Maybe better. More Giroux-like.

Out of all the D discussed in this thread I like Nurse as a potential available guy at or near the #10 spot. The other guy, not discussed yet is Zadorov, who could go much higher than the #12 spot he's slotted at in Digity's graphic. You must have seen him play eh? He hits like a truck and seems mobile enough for a big man. But raw in other ways I guess.

But I don't see the point in talking about D-men when we know Homer will take a Center.....

@Podein25

Drouin definately has some sick hands going for him.

My issues with Zadorov (yes I've seen him play) are #1 he's Russian (let's face it, they're the flakiest players in the world when it comes to NHL), #2 he plays for a totally stacked team (though he helps make it stacked), #3 his size gives him an incredible advantage in junior, but will bring him back a bit in NHL . Still, he has great size. He definately moves well for a big guy and has a good shot. I'd prefer Nurse as a realistic pick. Obviously Jones.

@flyercanuck

Interesting to see Nurse at #5, Zadorov at #6 in ISS February rankings. Pulock at #12. What about this Robert Hagg kid from Sweden? RH, 6'2", 204 lbs and Swedish - just what the doctor ordered. Ranked #22 by ISS but higher by many. I saw him top-10 in some earlier lists....

• 1 month later...