Painful to Watch..or Just not Used to Losing?

Howie58

Hello:

Am I the only who can't figure out my boredom/disinterest in watching? Are they incompetent? Or are we unused to watching a losing Flyers squad? The '06-07 squad was bad but I was engaged. I am paying as much attention to my laptop and e-mails as I am to the game. It's a hockey seance or something.

Peace,

Howie

That season which shall not be mentioned still had players trying, but they were all hurt. Wasn't that also the year of six goalies? Dressed!

This team, just doesn't try. They're going through the motions and stuck in that pattern. Rinaldo is the only consistent hitter, big flashy saves never happen, and highlight goals are very rare. The product is dry and boring.

• Like 1

@doom88

I think Gervais has earned much of our rancor, he's quick to the puck, but loses many board battles and gets manhandled by nearly everyone , he's not a good NHL player, he gets exposed when he's out vs other team's 3rd lines. . Add to that , he's our "puck moving" defenseman who routinely fails to clear the zone with a pass or chip while not winning the puck therefore doesn't move it, And he's around for another year, yay !

I do get what your saying and have seen stretches where he looks serviceable but his ice time needs to be in the 6-9 minute range .

• Like 1

The Flyers this year are borderline unwatchable. They have the worst 5-on-5 offense I've seen in a long time. They only seem to score on the PP. They almost look like they are TRYING not to score. That third period was abysmal outside of the last minute on the PP. How do they expect to score when all they do is pass the puck back and forth in front of Bryz when they are tied or have the lead?

• Like 1

@doom88 Yep, good ol' deer in headlights, shut down supreme Parent was indeed a member of the 06 squad. I think everyone was so stoked to have an acutal shut down d-man prospect that our expectations got pretty sky high with him right from the start, but wow, what a stiff he turned out to be!

@doom88 Actually, just looked it up....Ryan Parent only played in one game for the Flyers in 06 and only 6 total games for the Phantoms that year, think that was the year he had a year long injury, think a knee, but not sure.

I also did some reasearch comparing the 06 teams goals allowed in 06 and this year. In 06, they allowed 3.7 goals per game, compared to the 3.1 this current year. There's still some time left though, and this team has a noticeable Bryzvantage!!!!! Maybe they just seem worse to me, cause it's so fresh and in my face. But based on those stats, 0.6 goals per game is pretty significant gap....that 06 team was stinky bad.

EDIT: OK, just checked to see how the goals for factored in on both 06-07 and 12-13 season. Both squads had an equally inept 2.6 goals per game average. Interesting to note, last years playoff team had 3.2 goals per game, so that's a whole 0.6 goals per game dip, a pretty insignifcant number in and of itself.

can you tell I'm off work right now, lol...bored to death!!

Edited by jammer2

@mojo1917

@doom88

I think Gervais has earned much of our rancor, he's quick to the puck, but loses many board battles and gets manhandled by nearly everyone , he's not a good NHL player, he gets exposed when he's out vs other team's 3rd lines. . Add to that , he's our "puck moving" defenseman who routinely fails to clear the zone with a pass or chip while not winning the puck therefore doesn't move it, And he's around for another year, yay !

I do get what your saying and have seen stretches where he looks serviceable but his ice time needs to be in the 6-9 minute range .

It's becoming painfully obvious why Gervais was frequently a healthy scratch for the lowly Isles last year. I was disgusted with this move from the start. I expected nothing and got less.....lol.

• Like 1

I maintain Gervais is fine for a 5/6. Just keep the expectations at that level.

And, the forwards are crap at receiving passes, period. I'll give the D a freebie when they actually hit the forward or their stick before the neutral zone turnover.

I maintain Gervais is fine for a 5/6. Just keep the expectations at that level.

And, the forwards are crap at receiving passes, period. I'll give the D a freebie when they actually hit the forward or their stick before the neutral zone turnover.

Gervais is a 6/7 at best. And had a hard time filling that role for last year's Islanders.

Homer has been absolutely terrible in filling depth spots on the roster with effective players. Having a solid Top Four defencemen and a crap third pairing leaves you wide open to getting exposed in bad matchups, especially on the road without last change.

Injuries are certainly a part of what's happened this year. I don't think the "starting defence" has really played a whole game together.

Which just gives me the heebie jeebies as I think of the braintrust saying "if we were healthy..." and reloading the pop gun.

Hello:

Am I the only who can't figure out my boredom/disinterest in watching? Are they incompetent? Or are we unused to watching a losing Flyers squad? The '06-07 squad was bad but I was engaged. I am paying as much attention to my laptop and e-mails as I am to the game. It's a hockey seance or something.

Peace,

Howie

Hey Howie...

I have the same issue. I think its the modern age of social media and the team being uninteresting. I liken it to watching the game with some friends while enjoying a few beverages. If the game is boring, which most Flyer games are, you will find the company more interesting an engaging.

There is nothing on this team to watch. there is no superstar to cheer for. there are no fights (common to Philly teams). There is no chance of winning. It got so bad for me last night, that I don't even know how the game got tied, and then lost in OT. But I know I'm not surprised it ended like that

@jammer2

The '06 team had Forsberg teaming with gags. that was exciting and we all had hope every game that it would be fireworks. I remember them taking detroit apart one game. It also had Carter and richards. There were at least guys who would go out a play like they cared.

This teams looks as inspired as a local rec league team. In New Mexico, that's pretty bad