Mason a Flyer

Guest albertaflyer

But there's no way the Flyers spend $9M+ on goaltending next year, so I think it's very clear that Bryz will be bought out

Well, not that I think he really knows what he's talking about, but that's what Seravalli seems to think too:

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/frequentflyers/Flyers-trade-for-goaltender-Steve-Mason.html

That would be a pretty bold (risky) move. I'm not sure that I could stand the irony, we end up with Mason as our starting goalie, they end up with Bob. What a world.

I keep reading that Mason's problem is that he is mentally fragile. That should work out real well in Philadelphia.

That is a good point. Well he will suside hiimself in Philly after first booo from Phila fan

@JackStraw I think the Flyers thinking is....he was once the rookie of the year, maybe a fresh start and he stands on his head, we really didn't have many other options....kind of a stab in the dark kinda thing.

Yeah, could be. It's not like the Flyers have long history of being smart when it comes to their goalies so this would fit right in.

Maybe Mason gets 2-3 starts, sucks and secures us a top 5 pick?? Maybe this guy turns the tide of this franchise in some odd werid way....Lord knows, this teams needs some kind of devine intervention. Another thought, our last 100 goalie moves have SUCKED....law of averages says we win one of them eventually....maybe he reverts to his rookie form?

How do you think Bryz feels about this? DOes it affect his game?

Guess it doesn't matter because he's only got 13 games left in a Flyer uniform. Probably the easiest $70M anyone could make.

Do you sit BRyz for the rest of the season? You can't buy out an injured player...

I just shrug at the incompetence.

that's the idea Jammer- shot in the dark, hope like hell he reverts to his rookie form. If not I still don't see the Flyers buying out Bryzgalov just because they traded for Mason. Mason won't command $3mil if he doesn't play extremely well down the stretch, so IMO there are many reasons to buy out Bryzgalov but Mason's presence isn't one of them.

If the qualify him, it will be about 10% above his current pay, so about $3.5M (he's making $3.2M this year). Why would Homer trade for an RFA he doesn't plan on qualifying?

If the qualify him, it will be about 10% above his current pay, so about $3.5M (he's making $3.2M this year). Why would Homer trade for an RFA he doesn't plan on qualifying?

Is that the only option? Is there no way they can sign him for less than he's making now? I'd say he's worth about half of what he's getting now, based on past performance.

Is that the only option? Is there no way they can sign him for less than he's making now? I'd say he's worth about half of what he's getting now, based on past performance.

I believe there's team-elected arbitration, but I don't know that it's ever happened. So, it could happen, but would be through arbitration, and those never go well. You basically have to build a case against why this guy isn't worth the money, and usually the relationship ends up so fractured that teams part ways with the player.

I can only hope that he wasn't brought in to be a starter. RFA this year, can't imagine he'll resign for more.

I keep reading that Mason's problem is that he is mentally fragile. That should work out real well in Philadelphia.

this just wants to make me puke....

Bobrovsky, 24, was a March “Star of the Month” and he’s the big reason the Blue Jackets are in the playoff hunt. He’s got a 2.13 GAA and .927 save percentage.

Bryz would be a perfectly acceptable #1 perfectly capable of leading this team to playoff success (cup? I don't know) but at his current salary and the current contract length, he's costing us the puzzle pieces a team needs to succeed.

I can only hope he's bought out -though not because I'm deluded to think he sucks the way most here seem to.

WE just can't afford his 5.6 for the next bazillion years AND ice a team good enough to win.

Need to buy our Bryz, take that on the chin and hopefully make a move for a Bernier type alt to Mason. Between the two of them, they'd make about as much as Bryz does now.

I think Bryz is better than Mason, Bernier's probably better long term than both. But you have to convince the Kings to give him up. Taking our cast offs have worked well for them, I'm just not sure they can afford any more since they all make so much.

No worries; Homer will re-acquire him shortly thereafter.

I'm not really sure I see a whole lot of logic in this move (surprise). Leighton was a UFA after this year so the Flyers could have gotten rid of him by just doing nothing. So now they have Mason who is a RFA after this season. They can't sign him for what he's making now (almost 3 million), so if they end up not re-signing him they just completely wasted a 3rd round pick. And if they re-sign him for less, and he continues to suck, they're really no better off than they are now. And they're still out the 3rd round pick. Seems like a strange move to me.

Homer HAD to trade someone. And he HAD to get rid of a draft pick. This was about as painless as it could possibly be. Yes we may have wasted a 3rd. In the world of Flyer gm trade deadline deals, we got off pretty easy today. Be thankful Jack

• Like 1

I don't get why we have to include the 3rd tho, heard they needed to clear some cap space to get Gaborik. Did Homer get fooled into giving up a high pick? I would've gave up no higher then a 5th for that salary and the season is almost done anyways so a backup now is not needed much.

Homer HAD to trade someone. And he HAD to get rid of a draft pick. This was about as painless as it could possibly be. Yes we may have wasted a 3rd. In the world of Flyer gm trade deadline deals, we got off pretty easy today. Be thankful Jack

Well, I do agree with you there. I was actually thinking of Homer sitting there in his office, staring at his whiteboard, flipping through his binders and roster sheets, looking up at the clock as the seconds tick away to 3:00pm... he couldn't help himself. I realize that. So yeah, it could have been much, much, worse.

I don't get why we have to include the 3rd tho, heard they needed to clear some cap space to get Gaborik. Did Homer get fooled into giving up a high pick? I would've gave up no higher then a 5th for that salary and the season is almost done anyways so a backup now is not needed much.

Your problem is that you actually think these things through. Homer is not burdened by that particular affliction.