This season will be like 2010 all over again!

I mentioned this in one of the threads, but I really think this team is going to get hot at the right time and get into the playoffs. And with all things clicking, plus a few people returning from injury, they will make a run much like 2010. I think they end up playing Montreal in the 1st round instead of the Pens, so they won't be as worn down from a physically and mentally draining first round like last year. But I see good things ahead, and certainly have no interest in stinking up the joint so we have a chance (which isn't a sure thing thanks to the draft lottery) at getting Jones. I will be back home right as the playoffs start, and I plan on watching the Flyers in the playoffs, hopefully live.

The next few weeks can really be a lot of fun. This team never had an issue with talent; it was all about playing with heart. They are showing that now. A team that plays with heart never thinks they're out of the game, no matter how many goals they are down. This is a vital mentality to have come the playoffs. It was vital in 2010 against the Bruins. I think some of that magical run will rub off on this year's Flyers before it's all said and done.

• Like 2

@Navyhockey

I was happy with beating the Leafs. But I'll still take a chance at filling the gaping hole for a top defenceman over a slim chance of making the playoffs only to go out in the first round...second if we're lucky. That hole isn't going to fill itself. Timonen is just about done. Coburn and Meszaros are out. That leaves a shakey defence even thinner than it was. Doesn't bode well for best of 7 playoff series. And there's no chance in H. E. double hockey sticks a team with names like Gervais or Huskins on d wins 4 rounds of hockey. Can you imagine the meltdown Bryz would have under that pressure?

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Like 1

I mentioned this in one of the threads, but I really think this team is going to get hot at the right time and get into the playoffs. And with all things clicking, plus a few people returning from injury, they will make a run much like 2010. I think they end up playing Montreal in the 1st round instead of the Pens, so they won't be as worn down from a physically and mentally draining first round like last year. But I see good things ahead, and certainly have no interest in stinking up the joint so we have a chance (which isn't a sure thing thanks to the draft lottery) at getting Jones. I will be back home right as the playoffs start, and I plan on watching the Flyers in the playoffs, hopefully live.

The next few weeks can really be a lot of fun. This team never had an issue with talent; it was all about playing with heart. They are showing that now. A team that plays with heart never thinks they're out of the game, no matter how many goals they are down. This is a vital mentality to have come the playoffs. It was vital in 2010 against the Bruins. I think some of that magical run will rub off on this year's Flyers before it's all said and done.

I think that we all appreciate your enthusiasm but winning streak notwithstanding, this team is battered and is in no shape to do much in the playoffs. Just getting to the playoffs would be a miracle. The D corps is decimated and may receive only slight help from injury returns. The goaltending remains suspect. This is time to see what is in the cupboard, maybe a few nice surprises, and make plans for the summer leading into next year. Your enthusiasm and your own heart is great to see though. ;) Go Flyers!

• Like 1

I'm right there with you, my friend!

Like the way you think!

There are 2 ENORMOUS differences between 2010 and now.

1. Chris freaking Pronger is gone.

2. The Flyers have to jump over/fight with a significant number of teams, in 2010, there were only 1-2 teams fighting for that last spot. This year there are 4-5, making it that much more difficult to move up.

I am on record that a high draft pick/franchise type player is more important than a one-done playoff run. But Iove the fact that people are still passionate about the team, and if they make the playoffs, I'm right there cheering with you, Navy!!

• Like 1

This team never had an issue with talent; it was all about playing with heart

Not for nothing, but this is *exactly* what I'm talking about when I say this little run, and conceivably making a brief appearance in the playoffs, will ultimately do more harm than good. It creates this illusion that all is well, and the struggles this team has had for more than two seasons now have been a series of temporary quirks that don't mean there is anything structurally wrong with the roster....encouraging the continuation of the patch-and-plug approach management adopted years ago.

I admire your enthusiasm, your heart and passion for the team, but.... The roster is in trouble. Each season is more and more of a rollercoaster, each season the flyers are a little less competitive, something has to kick them out of this cycle, or we are in for more of the same forever.

That 2010 team underachieved, until it counted. And then they stood up. The talent on this team has eroded drastically since then. They have played at their appropriate level this season, and that can not be allowed to stand on the basis of a month's worth of overachievemen.

• Like 3

Not for nothing, but this is *exactly* what I'm talking about when I say this little run, and conceivably making a brief appearance in the playoffs, will ultimately do more harm than good. It creates this illusion that all is well, and the struggles this team has had for more than two seasons now have been a series of temporary quirks that don't mean there is anything structurally wrong with the roster....encouraging the continuation of the patch-and-plug approach management adopted years ago.

I admire your enthusiasm, your heart and passion for the team, but.... The roster is in trouble. Each season is more and more of a rollercoaster, each season the flyers are a little less competitive, something has to kick them out of this cycle, or we are in for more of the same forever.

That 2010 team underachieved, until it counted. And then they stood up. The talent on this team has eroded drastically since then. They have played at their appropriate level this season, and that can not be allowed to stand on the basis of a month's worth of overachievemen.

It's hard to believe anyone can look at our D and goaltending and think this is a team that could win a cup. Our defence looks closer to AHL than NHL. Our goalies are ranked THIRTY-something in the league. I'll cheer for them if they make the playoffs. But I'll also know it's just another year of not winning the cup and not addressing the need of getting a #1 defenceman.

• Like 1

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but this is not a good team right now, 4 game winning streak or not.

The fact that four games is twice as long as their second longest winning streak this season is a little depressing. But I'll take a few more and be happier for it.

I can't believe we're invoking 2010 again...

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but this is not a good team right now, 4 game winning streak or not.

-- Agreed. I like the positive outliook but this Team is not going on a run. They are simply not that good of a Team and the defense, as well as the golaie, have nothing to give in a series. They will get exposed come playoff time... I just do not see it.

An AHL defense and a mentally-soft, overworked goaltender (who's terribly traumatized by it all, as we see him literally *ducking* his job now) can't carry us far in the POs.

I don't hope for a repeat of 2010 I only hope we get rid of Bryzgalov. If him and Mason are here in October so be it but we'd better not lose the chance to buyout this clown.

• 3 weeks later...

I would just like to point out that I was extremely wrong with this post! Although they probably will get hot at the end of the season, thereby screwing their draft position. I guess I allowed personal feelings of wanting to see Flyers playoff hockey to cloud my judgement. Oh well, I guess I will celebrate the homecoming with some Phillies baseball. What's that, they suck too? It's going to be a long summer!