Lost the appeal to Free Agents?

pags569

Here is something that has been on my mind for a little bit and wanted to hear everyone's opinion on the subject. Are the Flyers no longer a desirable destination for UFA's? Take a look at what has happened over the past couple of years with the large contracts handed out to Richards/Carter/(I guess you can throw in JVR as well) and then Homer trades them away. Right wrong or indifferent, these trades have to leave a lasting impression among other players that their future would be uncertain, no matter what contract they signed, in Philly. To me, it seems this could be one of the problems in landing high profile FA's. We could go the route of buying out of goalie and Danny boy, but that money will go towards overpaying a player to come play for us rather than some player WANTING to play for the O & B. If I was a player and saw what org was doing with Snider pulling the strings in the background, I would think twice about even considering to play for the Flyers. Anyway, that's just what I see and am concerned that the only way to really make our team better is through a trade or the draft and not through free agency.

Guys wanted to resign, Homer screwed up. Although if Nsh doesn't match, Homer turns out a winner. Nsh screwed Homer back by waiting so long to match, handcuffing Homer each minute. Well played.

Still, guys like Jagr recently say how much they loved playing in and for Philly. It's still desirable, and everyone knows if they can be that Cup-winning difference, they will be immortal.

Players want money, and to actually play in front of fans. The city and adjacent areas help attract FAs too.

I think Philly is still a hockey town, two years ago Bryz and Jagr came along for nothing except money. Same with Talbot.

This last off season Suter and Parise used everyone else to drive up their value before signing with the Wild, by the time they signed most of the top tier free agents were gone. I believe Philly like my Wings thought they were in the running and were left holding a pretty empty bag when it was all said and done.

This year has an interesting mix, no in their early prime UFAs, lots of aging veterans past their prime looking for one more payday, blue line help is pretty ugly, trading should be a bit more prevalent this off season.

• Like 2

What they need to do is pressure a few guys that they gave NMCs to to go away because they're doodooheads and we don't like them any more.

Nothing makes a place attractive to free agents like offering NMCs and then threatening to bench or scratch vets if they don't waive them.

Simmonds and Voracek both just re-signed. Honestly I'd love to see Holmgren get away from chasing the high priced FAs every single year.

This.

I guess I shouldn't drink and post any more.

Maybe you guys are right and we'll be fine. I guess I'm just tired of the old song and dance we seem to go through where we give up on our young players.

Probably a little bitter about Bob too....

Here is something that has been on my mind for a little bit and wanted to hear everyone's opinion on the subject. Are the Flyers no longer a desirable destination for UFA's? Take a look at what has happened over the past couple of years with the large contracts handed out to Richards/Carter/(I guess you can throw in JVR as well) and then Homer trades them away. Right wrong or indifferent, these trades have to leave a lasting impression among other players that their future would be uncertain, no matter what contract they signed, in Philly. To me, it seems this could be one of the problems in landing high profile FA's. We could go the route of buying out of goalie and Danny boy, but that money will go towards overpaying a player to come play for us rather than some player WANTING to play for the O & B. If I was a player and saw what org was doing with Snider pulling the strings in the background, I would think twice about even considering to play for the Flyers. Anyway, that's just what I see and am concerned that the only way to really make our team better is through a trade or the draft and not through free agency.

No such thing as city (A) has lost it's appeal to Free Agents in any sport. For the most part, it's all about the dollars, and philly isn't afraid to spend those.

Philly's a big market that treats athletes well. It can be more lucrative for a player to come here (even for less money than they've been offered elsewhere) because of local endorsement deals and event opportunities. Plus the management of the team (while they can't seem to ice a decent squad, really seems to treat it's players well. They do seem to like it even it means they might not be winners anymore.

The city and adjacent areas help attract FAs too.