Trying to stay positive - Mason looked Good

Guest OH1FlyersFan

I liked his quickness. I liked the fact he didn't duck in the face of hard shots fired at his head. I liked the way he handled the puck. I liked how spry and energetic he looked out there compared to Bryz.

I say start him the rest of the season and see what he can do.

Too bad about the only goal. This team is snakebit this season so such a fluke thing didn't surprise me at all. Of course such a thing would happen to this team to cause them to lose this game, handing the season's only shutout win to Buffalo's backup goalie. Of course!

Hard to blame Mason for that, though. If any blame is to be handed out this game, I blame the offense which apparently decided to take the day off.

• Like 1

i think he would be a good backup but to anyone thinks he'll be starter, i dont see it plus it's against a bad buffalo team, if he's good against really good teams maybe, but it's the pressure of being a starter in the playoffs that might be the difference.

He's 24 years old. How can you make that judgement when most goalie don't make it until their mid 20's. The guy showed me more today than Bryz all season.

• Like 4

He's 24 years old. How can you make that judgement when most goalie don't make it until their mid 20's. The guy showed me more today than Bryz all season.

if you want bryz gone then you'll be hating mason too if he doesnt play to your expectations next year or year after that, so be careful what you wish for, plus he never started a playoff game, seriously why do you have so much hatred for bryz? because you want every goalie to become the next bernie parent? you are delusional and unrealistic, bernie parent didnt want win a cup, the whole team did, plus the game has changed since the 70s, sure this team can have the best goalie in the world and still lose because the game has changed.

i mean seriously, have you seen goalies win cups by 4 shutouts in cup finals since when the new nhl began in 2006? it's a joke for anyone to think that will ever happen, quick wasnt great or speculator when LA they won a cup they were playing better than the devils, i mean goalies can be good but perfect or speculator, as long they are not letting in five hole goals from center ice, i mean if you expect this goalie or that goalie to give 82 shutouts and 16 shutouts in playoffs you are way over your head.

even in the playoffs, im not expecting goalies to be great because alot of stanley cup goalies give up goals and still win cups, it's a team game now, if bryz has a bad game in the playoffs and the team doesnt show up it's on the team, it's a team game, screw the cap hit on bryz because he's a starter, you want to take a chance on inexperience goalie like mason in the playoffs, that maybe he's just a backup and nothing else, then good luck with goalie switching with boucher and bob, is that what you want?

Edited by toughfighter83

if you want bryz gone then you'll be hating mason too if he doesnt play to your expectations next year or year after that, so be careful what you wish for,

At least Mason will be MUCH cheaper and allow them to focus on fixing the D. I thought he looked good today

• Like 3

@toughfighter83

I'm beginning to question whether you're just trolling this board cause I really can't see anything you're seeing.

First of all, Bernie won the Conn Smythe BOTH years the Flyers won the cup. If you don't think he was the biggest reason Philly won, I can't help you.

Second of all, Mason will be making 1/3 of what Bryzgalov will next year. That matters when neither one of them looks much better than the other.

Third ...Quick wasn't great or spectacular? He was freaking incredible last year. LA wouldn't even have made the playoffs if it wasn't for him. And he was HANDS DOWN the Conn Smythe winner...no one else was even close.

Wow, Bryz is good and Quick wasn't anything special last year?

• Like 4

@toughfighter83

I'm beginning to question whether you're just trolling this board cause I really can't see anything you're seeing.

First of all, Bernie won the Conn Smythe BOTH years the Flyers won the cup. If you don't think he was the biggest reason Philly won, I can't help you.

Second of all, Mason will be making 1/3 of what Bryzgalov will next year. That matters when neither one of them looks much better than the other.

Third ...Quick wasn't great or spectacular? He was freaking incredible last year. LA wouldn't even have made the playoffs if it wasn't for him. And he was HANDS DOWN the Conn Smythe winner...no one else was even close.

Ya he lost me the first sentence in.

@toughfighter83

do you watch the teams play or just the goalies? leighton or nemi wasnt speculator and yet chicago won a cup, that was a team effort, what about detroit winning a cup with osgood in 08? osgood wasnt special like bryz, they had good defense.

you dont want to hear that hockey is a team sport and not one man goalie game

Edited by toughfighter83

LOL... Quick only gave up 3 goals in 3 games during the playoffs!!! 3 games in 20 that the Kings played. And the Kings won one of those games!

The other two losses the Kings had, Quick gave up 2 goals.

Winning is a lot easier when a goalie can hold teams to 2 goals or less.

Has Bryz held teams to under 3 goals a total of 3 times all season?! hahahaha. With Bryz in net we need to score at least 3 if not 4 goals just to have a chance to win.

• Like 1

LOL... Quick only gave up 3 goals in 3 games during the playoffs!!! 3 games in 20 that the Kings played. And the Kings won one of those games!

The other two losses the Kings had, Quick gave up 2 goals.

Winning is a lot easier when a goalie can hold teams to 2 goals or less.

Has Bryz held teams to under 3 goals a total of 3 times all season?! hahahaha. With Bryz in net we need to score at least 3 if not 4 goals just to have a chance to win.

are philly fans are always to hold goalie responsable no matter how bad the defense plays and yet it's their fault when they cant score goals?

when is it going to fall on the coach, gm, and the whole team? never?

Edited by toughfighter83

are philly fans are always to hold goalie responsable no matter how bad the defense plays and yet it's their fault when they cant score goals?

when is it going to fall on the coach, gm, and the whole team? never?

People here do blame Lavy, Homer, Clarke, Snider, and the organization (sometimes followed by an asterisk). Pay attention.

The goalie is blamed when they consistently allow soft goals, let in momentum-killing backbreaking goals, every single odd-man rush leads to a goal, and the shootout is a guaranteed loss. The goalie is part of the team, and once in a while the team breaks down - that's where a goalie is supposed to kick in. He shouldn't be expected to get them all mind you, but a few here and there would be nice. Bryz does not have the tactical skills and is not reliable enough, period. If he wasn't physically as large, and pucks literally hit him through no effort of his own (watch the semi-regular surprised reactions from Bryz), he would still be in Russia.

I am anti-Bryz, and I approve this message.

• Like 1

With Bryz in net we need to score at least 3 if not 4 goals just to have a chance to win.

With the rate the Flyers offense is scoring, Bryz needs to hold the opposition to fewer than 1 goal a game, just to have a chance to win.

Over 25% of the Flyers games this season so far, they needed the goalie to pitch a shutout to win or tie.

If they had scored just 3 goals in games they lost by a close margin, they would be comfortably in 6th place. If they had scored 4 goals in those same games, they'd be solidly in 4th place.

It was a total team "effort" this year. From going 3rd in goals scored last year to 16th isn't goalie problem. Imagine if the Flyers PP wasn't so good? It wouldn't be even that close.

if you want bryz gone then you'll be hating mason too if he doesnt play to your expectations next year or year after that, so be careful what you wish for, plus he never started a playoff game, seriously why do you have so much hatred for bryz? because you want every goalie to become the next bernie parent? you are delusional and unrealistic, bernie parent didnt want win a cup, the whole team did, plus the game has changed since the 70s, sure this team can have the best goalie in the world and still lose because the game has changed.

i mean seriously, have you seen goalies win cups by 4 shutouts in cup finals since when the new nhl began in 2006? it's a joke for anyone to think that will ever happen, quick wasnt great or speculator when LA they won a cup they were playing better than the devils, i mean goalies can be good but perfect or speculator, as long they are not letting in five hole goals from center ice, i mean if you expect this goalie or that goalie to give 82 shutouts and 16 shutouts in playoffs you are way over your head.

even in the playoffs, im not expecting goalies to be great because alot of stanley cup goalies give up goals and still win cups, it's a team game now, if bryz has a bad game in the playoffs and the team doesnt show up it's on the team, it's a team game, screw the cap hit on bryz because he's a starter, you want to take a chance on inexperience goalie like mason in the playoffs, that maybe he's just a backup and nothing else, then good luck with goalie switching with boucher and bob, is that what you want?

This smells of a heavily acohol influenced post.

There is a team chemistry issue with Bryz and in many games it is so obvious, soft goals only make it worse. the team deflates like a stuck balloon. Yes the D is banged up but that is when you need a goalie to move the puck, Mason gives this team so much more besides a cheap price tag. We need an aggressive goalie that can control the puck. Mason is that guy...

• Like 1

I agree with the sentiment, screen name toughfighter83, though I have doubts if thats really toughfighter83 you "sound" different(like when a buddy goes into your dorm and types over your account when your in the bathroom and doesn't tell you).....anyway, there obviously are several issues going on this shortened season and everybody knows it.

There's a difference when you can see things from afar and your not directly engaged in the loss of battle.

The GM is right with his comment, "I like this team".

Now not every player is an all star, and there are a lot of bad plays that are going on. This team needs to be mircomanaged on how to do set plays and counter plays and reverse counter plays. Drills, drills , drills , drills, drills , drills and furthermore drills.

It has got to be inscribed, deeply very deeply in their skulls, fundamentals and advance fundamentals. Fedetenko said it best, Timmo brought it up in the past. You want to go back a few years....PRONGER even said it during the season.

Every waking moment of practice should be dedicated to this. I mean you got to go out there and be a Machine, this is not the ALL STARR game.

You got to Work! now turn to the left...Work, now turn to the right. Work your tail and keep that puck from their lane.

Work! now turn to the right. Work, now turn to the left. Shantee.....

All seriousness aside. Like many have said this has been a debbie downer year. We need a top D pairing eventually. But I kid you not, even if we had Weber, Jones and an all star Defender, unless systems are inscribed and I mean put a blind fold on and pass the puck and know where your linemate is at, type of instillment, those guys are going to look like the team against the Globe Trotters...paid actors.

Don't be a paid actor.

And the real issues are the cap hits as well, I like Bryz as a player and a person. Unfortunately he looked at the menu and said give me the Super Size Submarine sandwich with everything.....and he hasn't paid (show'd the goods, for that appetite). He should of asked for half a sandwich and then the next time in line say, I KNOW I can eat the supersized one.

He wanted a big paycheck and wrote a check his performance hasn't paid, that's all.

He lives, he learns. That's why I'm ok with the buyout, not happy as a person to do it to someone....but this is an Entertainment Industry,

I dont agree with buying out Briere, he is a Playoff asset and believe me, teams need pieces like that in the Playoffs to help them through. Now as a player of his stature, I wouldn't necessarily like to be only thought of as a sole contributer in the playoffs like Claude Lemiuexe use to boast about a little.

But he needs to get out of his whole, kinda like Hartnell did during his personal issues...,Man what a teammate like Jagr to have during those times, he has become.....Mr. International...sees things from a distance and can detail you a gameplan. I really miss that from our team. You just don't let that slip away when you have that voice. He sounds like fun times and growth, even Freakin' Hartnell took "Hart" and became a better sports man. Talbot too had a banner year, as well as G, and you know Jake was sitting by the fireplace eating it all up as well.

Shot off the boards into the net. Even if Mason has his skate against the post a Sabre I think it was Kaletta was right there to shoot again at the side of the net. Who took him on the play?

Simple rule: If you play good, good things happen,if you play bad,bad things happen.

i think he would be a good backup but to anyone thinks he'll be starter, i dont see it plus it's against a bad buffalo team, if he's good against really good teams maybe, but it's the pressure of being a starter in the playoffs that might be the difference.

LOL, all that based one 1 game.

How long have you been scouting for the NHL

how long have you?

Big man, I never claimed to be a scout.

You did.

The point is that you're making all these judgements like you're some kind of an expert.

To make a blanket statement that he'll never be a good starter is absurd.

Its probably less than likely but to make an absolute statement at this point in his career, especially when you're some guy watching from a couch and TV set drinking beer, is unwarranted.

He certainly has some potential but we'll have to see what happens

Big man, I never claimed to be a scout.

You did.

The point is that you're making all these judgements like you're some kind of an expert.

To make a blanket statement that he'll never be a good starter is absurd.

Its probably less than likely but to make an absolute statement at this point in his career, especially when you're some guy watching from a couch and TV set drinking beer, is unwarranted.

He certainly has some potential but we'll have to see what happens

i dont drink alchol and second,im making a realistic comment which alot of fans dont like and people going after me for it, i wasnt expecting this team to be good anyway even before this season, im not suprised and im not going after bryz because i know this team sucks which alot of people dont seem to get accept blaming bryz for the team's problems, which is ridicious, this team was playing like crap since 2011,when bryz wasnt here and of course blaming bob and ride him out of town and he's a better goalie now, and doing the same with bryz, i dont care about how great the offense was, lav coaching stinks.