On Snider, Opportunism Vs. Strategy, Long-Term Frustration

Guest Howie58

Greetings All:

I've found the articles in the Inquirer and elsewhere on Snider and his frustration with the season to be very interesting. I have a link to one; there have been others.

http://us.yhs4.search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0oG7piWRIpRz10A7SIPxQt.;_ylu=X3oDMTBybjFrcjVnBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDNARjb2xvA2FjMgR2dGlkAw--/SIG=13gn3ublq/EXP=1368044822/**http%3a//articles.philly.com/2013-05-05/sports/39044157_1_ed-snider-erik-gustafsson-shea-weber

In so many words, Snider is "teflon" like, and blames the schedule, injuries, and God-knows what else for a bad season. The broader design issue, and his short-term outlook, receive no attention. The upshot as Carchidi and others note, is that we have an owner who does not understand that his decisions (Buying Bryz's services is perhaps the most recent) have led to one of the longest droughts in championship among the major leagues.

I also thought the poll last weekend about "stay" and "go" in the Inquirer was telling. While the majority of voters wanted Lavy to stay, the majority wanted Homer to go.

The bottom line is simple: the reporters and fans understand that short-term expedience will not yield a Stanley Cup. The articles also support my view that Snider and his minions do a good job keeping the Flyers in the upper-middle class (Snider takes pride in our Finals appearances) but the big enchilada is distant. FYI--the articles blame the fans in part--they expect winners every year...though the frustration this year tells me even the great unwashed are POed with where this team is heading.

Maybe we are seeing a change. Maybe the youngsters on the team stay...etc. But my head and gut say that Snider/Homer will stay expedient. That is a recipe for long-term frustration.

Best,

Howie

Greetings All:

I've found the articles in the Inquirer and elsewhere on Snider and his frustration with the season to be very interesting. I have a link to one; there have been others.

http://us.yhs4.searc...sson-shea-weber

In so many words, Snider is "teflon" like, and blames the schedule, injuries, and God-knows what else for a bad season. The broader design issue, and his short-term outlook, receive no attention. The upshot as Carchidi and others note, is that we have an owner who does not understand that his decisions (Buying Bryz's services is perhaps the most recent) have led to one of the longest droughts in championship among the major leagues.

I also thought the poll last weekend about "stay" and "go" in the Inquirer was telling. While the majority of voters wanted Lavy to stay, the majority wanted Homer to go.

The bottom line is simple: the reporters and fans understand that short-term expedience will not yield a Stanley Cup. The articles also support my view that Snider and his minions do a good job keeping the Flyers in the upper-middle class (Snider takes pride in our Finals appearances) but the big enchilada is distant. FYI--the articles blame the fans in part--they expect winners every year...though the frustration this year tells me even the great unwashed are POed with where this team is heading.

Maybe we are seeing a change. Maybe the youngsters on the team stay...etc. But my head and gut say that Snider/Homer will stay expedient. That is a recipe for long-term frustration.

Best,

Howie

Howie:

You nailed it.

Thank you,

Bear

Howie:

You nailed it.

Thank you,

Bear

These reporters are probably going to "pay" for their candor with reduced access to the team. I also suspect Homer's recent outbursts show frustration...and the fact that he has to take some of the blame for what's happened. Plan B (no Weber, etc.) must have been lacking.

Work is really tiring me these days..the merlots help but not too much. Middle-age and budget cuts are taking their toll.

Good to hear from you...

Howie

These reporters are probably going to "pay" for their candor with reduced access to the team. I also suspect Homer's recent outbursts show frustration...and the fact that he has to take some of the blame for what's happened. Plan B (no Weber, etc.) must have been lacking.

Work is really tiring me these days..the merlots help but not too much. Middle-age and budget cuts are taking their toll.

Good to hear from you...

Howie

Howie:

I hear you with the middle-age thing. I just changed jobs. Much better place now.

Merlot does help.

This will be an interesting summer. Is there a perfect storm brewing for Paul Holmgren?

Take care my friend,

Bear

Given a choice between the Flyers or Carolina, Tampa Bay, or any other sad sack team that did win one between years of misery, I'll keep the Flyers. I understand your frustration. But who knows once in the playoffs...

i think what it comes down to, is not getting a gm that knows how to put a winning championship team together, i know this isnt baseball but the thing that the phillies did right that finally got them to win a world series title was pat gillick, he was a world series winning gm, it's the one thing that philly teams never do is actually try to get a gm from a winning organization that knows how to win, instead from bad teams or refusing to change them in the last 40 years.

for once i like to see the sixers and flyers make a freaking change for once in their lives or else i dont know how long fans will put up with nonsense of not trying to win it all instead of favoring the same losing mentality front office.

Edited by toughfighter83

Why would a team get rid of a Cup-winning GM? Homer would be a lot more effective with less upper mgmt interference and a mandatory capologist consultation before offering contracts exceeding three years or three million dollars.

Man, you guys are old as dirt! What you wouldnt give to be young and 42 again like me!

gee..I'm with MD...44 here too (well I will be in July)....would like to see the Flyers win a Cup before I start collecting Social Security...here's hoping we still have it by then.....

all joking aside i totally agree with all the above statements.......basically it all comes down to an arrogant cockiness that Snider thinks he always has the answers....and the truth of the matter is ...he has totally screwed the pooch on this....he don't have a clue.....

Howie:

I hear you with the middle-age thing. I just changed jobs. Much better place now.

Merlot does help.

This will be an interesting summer. Is there a perfect storm brewing for Paul Holmgren?

Take care my friend,

Bear

Congratulations on the new job. I hope it goes well.

Homer may be facing some unpleasant realities. And I have to wonder if good free agents who might have come to the team in past years reckon this is a time to stay away.

Stay thirsty my friend.

Congratulations on the new job. I hope it goes well.

Homer may be facing some unpleasant realities. And I have to wonder if good free agents who might have come to the team in past years reckon this is a time to stay away.

Stay thirsty my friend.

Howie:

Thank you,.

I hope that this team and this managment find a way out of the darkness right now.

I am watching the playoffs and seeing tremendous skillsets and talnted lines rolling one after another. It has rekindled my love for the game, no matter what team.

Stay thirsty, and well, my friend.

Bear

i think what it comes down to, is not getting a gm that knows how to put a winning championship team together, i know this isnt baseball but the thing that the phillies did right that finally got them to win a world series title was pat gillick, he was a world series winning gm, it's the one thing that philly teams never do is actually try to get a gm from a winning organization that knows how to win, instead from bad teams or refusing to change them in the last 40 years.

for once i like to see the sixers and flyers make a freaking change for once in their lives or else i dont know how long fans will put up with nonsense of not trying to win it all instead of favoring the same losing mentality front office.

And you cannot keep putting unqualified people with no demonstrative results in positions of management, authority, and decision-making always from within this organization in unwavering homerism because they were once great Flyer players and have Snider's man-love. In fact, the real issue, the true deal breaking issue as many of us believe it to be is simply Ed Snider. For all the good he has done, and there is quite a bit to give him credit for, his failing legacy, and what will unfortunately at some point end up on his headstone is that he did not have the right vision or ability to assemble a truly capable organizational management from top-down to win the big prize. The Flyers are a stagnant organization living on their self belief that they are a model hockey organization becuase they "try" all the time, but the reality is that they have nothing to show except playoff appearances and season wins, nothing over 38 years since winning a Stanley Cup with a style of play has has long since become antiquated. It is a pity, really.. But Flyer Fans, you can all chose with your wallets and purses. I can tell you that I am watching some great teams play some great hockey in these playoffs.

And you cannot keep putting unqualified people with no demonstrative results in positions of management, authority, and decision-making always from within this organization in unwavering homerism because they were once great Flyer players and have Snider's man-love. In fact, the real issue, the true deal breaking issue as many of us believe it to be is simply Ed Snider. For all the good he has done, and there is quite a bit to give him credit for, his failing legacy, and what will unfortunately at some point end up on his headstone is that he did not have the right vision or ability to assemble a truly capable organizational management from top-down to win the big prize. The Flyers are a stagnant organization living on their self belief that they are a model hockey organization becuase they "try" all the time, but the reality is that they have nothing to show except playoff appearances and season wins, nothing over 38 years since winning a Stanley Cup with a style of play has has long since become antiquated. It is a pity, really.. But Flyer Fans, you can all chose with your wallets and purses. I can tell you that I am watching some great teams play some great hockey in these playoffs.

i agree with you totality, it's definitely snider because he doent want to change, this team has talent, the problem is fo and snider dont want to fix the problems with the team and coaching.

i agree with you totality, it's definitely snider because he doent want to change, this team has talent, the problem is fo and snider dont want to fix the problems with the team and coaching.

I agree, but let me suggest that Ed Snider believes in his heart that he and his organization are truely doing the right things and the right way. He has no one to challenge him otherwise. He has created this adoring homerism of a culture in his Flyers organization. He confuses this dysfunctionism with being a Flyers Family. His team makes the playoffs consistently. His team is right up there in the NHL in wins. He has a loyal fan base. His Wells Fargo Center consistently sells out. He looks to be successful with the Flyers by most measures. But, the one thing that must be hard for Ed Snider and his entire organization to get their arms around is why after 38 years of doing what they think they are doing right they do not have another Stanley Cup. Because nothing except that matters. Nothing. Thus, as the thread started and suggested the excuses come every year and all the time. It is always something. There is always an excuse. There are many business organizations like this today. Usually the stockholders clamor for change when the results are not there. Unfortunately, the Flyers are an Oligopoly with Ed The Ringmaster pulling the ropes. That is why there is such a negativism by so many people on this forum that truly understand hockey and a pale over the team and organization going into the summer and the upcoming season. Clearly organizational change bedrock up is absolutely necessary. Who stole my cheese, all change is very difficult. Especially as you get older and entrenched in your thinking. That is exactly what we are seeing lived out with the Flyers, and Mr. Snider.

And so unfortunately the frustration will continue.