Game 5

Guest B21

Is it possible to be down 2-2 in a series? There's a philosophical question for you.

I've been the biggest MAF defender here but it is time for a change. This is why Vokoun was brought in.

Also....sit Malkin. He looks lost. Scoring has not been the problem. If nothing else, it may send a message for them to get their collective heads out of their collective arse.

Must win Game 5. If they go back to the Nassau Mausoleum down 3-2...it's over.

@B21

From the parts of the games of this series that I have been able to watch, it simply looks like the Isles are out-working the Pens. The Pens thought they were going to just be handed the Stanley Cup this year from the way they are playing. MAF has lost any semblance of confidence in net. He is doing one helluva Bryzgalov imitation though with his puck handling skills. I jokingly picked the Isles in 6 this series but if MAF keeps up his uninspired play in combination with the rest of his team's lack of defensive help, it just might come true.

@B21

From the parts of the games of this series that I have been able to watch, it simply looks like the Isles are out-working the Pens. The Pens thought they were going to just be handed the Stanley Cup this year from the way they are playing. MAF has lost any semblance of confidence in net. He is doing one helluva Bryzgalov imitation though with his puck handling skills. I jokingly picked the Isles in 6 this series but if MAF keeps up his uninspired play in combination with the rest of his team's lack of defensive help, it just might come true.

I don't disagree with any of that. Spot on.

It's funny though how expectations affect how we look a things...

Fleury: 2-2 / 3.40 GAA / .891 SV %

Nabakov: 2-2 / 4.55 GAA / .846 SV %

Is it possible to be down 2-2 in a series? There's a philosophical question for you

Great question B21... If you just watch the games you can tell the Isles feel they can beat this Pens Team. I hate to say this but it honestly appears that the Pens expect to win w/out showing up to play. That is an attitude issue and it was apparent in the Philly series and apparent in this series for the Isles.

I think you have to sit MAF for Game 5... he has looked terrible but the guys in front are not playing much better.

It is a great question. It feels that way doesn't it? Series is tied 2 apiece but it feels like Pitt is on its last legs, desperate - and I don't mean just Fleury.

I doubt Blysma (or any HC) would bench Malkin, esp in the POs, that's just crazy talk (though I fully support the reasoning behind it; he's been sloppy with the puck). But the real question besides MAF is what's with Crosby? How could he possibly go 0-7 in the FO circle last night in the 3rd? The Isles' announcers were saying something about him possibly being hurt...is that right? They never made it clear but it sounded like they were talking about the flu.

Anyway - def time for Tomas. Like you said B this is exactly why they bought his services, for the MAF meltdown. Obviously you were hoping it wouldn't come to this but it has, so use him. I read he's 3-0 this season against the Isles, can that be right? How did he get so many starts vs. them? And one was a shutout? It was a Pens' football writer for the Gazette so I'm not sure I trust it.

Wow, interesting, I didn't see that either. He didn't miss a shift as far as I can remember.

He got hit up high in the throat area in the second period, whoever was announcing kept saying that he was in distress. But that shouldn't have affected him in the third, unless he bruised something in the colarbone area.

Its weird though, because during the stretch run, you could see the intensity in the team that they tried to instill. Its just not there right now. There are only a few players who are out there giving it their all it seems.

Malkin, right now his head is as bad as Fleury's. He's floating soft passes in every zone on the ice, if his shoulder is still bothering him such that it is a problem, sit him.

Edited by nossagog

It is a great question. It feels that way doesn't it? Series is tied 2 apiece but it feels like Pitt is on its last legs, desperate - and I don't mean just Fleury.

I doubt Blysma (or any HC) would bench Malkin, esp in the POs, that's just crazy talk (though I fully support the reasoning behind it; he's been sloppy with the puck). But the real question besides MAF is what's with Crosby? How could he possibly go 0-7 in the FO circle last night in the 3rd? The Isles' announcers were saying something about him possibly being hurt...is that right? They never made it clear but it sounded like they were talking about the flu.

Anyway - def time for Tomas. Like you said B this is exactly why they bought his services, for the MAF meltdown. Obviously you were hoping it wouldn't come to this but it has, so use him. I read he's 3-0 this season against the Isles, can that be right? How did he get so many starts vs. them? And one was a shutout? It was a Pens' football writer for the Gazette so I'm not sure I trust it.

I know FO's are important but I'm can't say something is wrong with Crosby...he's still scoring and playing like...well... Crosby.

Not sure about Vokoun's numbers against the Isles - if you saw it I'm sure it's right.

I think you are right about Malkin...it should (but would never) happen. Not even for 1 game.

It all rides on Game 5. I think woever wins it, wins the series.

I'd sit Malkin just to teach him to grow the hell up. He's playing with the maturity of a child. As for Fleury... bench him till Vokoun loses. Period. Crosby was hurting when he got hit... but I have to assume he's just not in good shape after drinking shakes for three weeks. LOL

• Like 1

I'd sit Malkin just to teach him to grow the hell up. He's playing with the maturity of a child. As for Fleury... bench him till Vokoun loses. Period. Crosby was hurting when he got hit... but I have to assume he's just not in good shape after drinking shakes for three weeks. LOL

This is a Bysma flaw, when Malkin coughed up the puck that led to the Isles 4th goal, then goes back and interferes with his own goalie trying to save his butt, he should have been seated on the yellow cushion at the end of the bench and not allowed to come off of it until someone else did something even worse.

I don't disagree with any of that. Spot on.

It's funny though how expectations affect how we look a things...

Fleury: 2-2 / 3.40 GAA / .891 SV %

Nabakov: 2-2 / 4.55 GAA / .846 SV %

Reminds me of the goalie numbers from our first round last year!

Well, since we know Disco doesn't have the stones to sit Malkin, I'd be in favor of putting Iginla up on Crosby's line and moving Kunitz down with Malkin and Neal. That line was deadly last year, and Malkin does well with a guy like Kunitz on his line. That said, Malkin needs to get his head together. And he's SO easily rattled these days. And as much as I've ragged on him this year, I'd like to see TK in the lineup for game five. He can match NYI's speed, and he plays a simple North-South game. Fancy stuff is the LAST thing we need more of right now... Malkin's blind passes are a perfect example of that.

You don't seat Malkin. I get what you are saying, but he is too valuable to your team to seat him. His offensive prowess and physicality outweigh his antics. You just don't seat a player of this caliber. Won't happen in the playoffs.

I think the Pens will still win this series, even though if I am a Pens fan, I woudl feel very nervous right now. Your team starts looking very similar to the way they were looking when they played the Flyers exactly a year ago. But I think th edifference this year would be the character guys who you brought in - Morrow and Iginla. I think tonight the Pens will crash the Islanders and win it in the next game. Just my prediciton, of course. But Fleury has to start playing up to his capabilities, which I think he can.

Edited by Mad Dog

You don't seat Malkin. I get what you are saying, but he is too valuable to your team to seat him. His offensive prowess and physicality outweigh his antics. You just don't seat a player of this caliber. Won't happen in the playoffs.

The time to sit him would have been in the regular season when he started this, or just for the end of last game, but you would have to be nuts to scracth him. I'm hopping some like Iginla walks up to him and says something like "Comrade Duuuuuuude, I dropped everything to come here and win the cup, could you get your head out of you russian butt and stop sucking so bad"

• Like 1

Seemed like they threw a different switch at the start of the second. Also no Glass (wasted slot) with Vitale on face offs. Vokoun was the difference. Neal / Malkin / Kunitz together clicked as did Iginla / Crosby / Dupuis.

See... I told you. Nothing to worry about. ^_^

Now the question is who do you start in Game 5? Do you still go with Vocoun? I personally would.

Absolutely. And if it were me I'd ride him right to the parade!

Now the question is who do you start in Game 5? Do you still go with Vocoun? I personally would.

OMG you absoultely go with Vokoun. Without question.

MAYBE give Fleury another chance in Game 1 of the next series (if you get there).

Vokoun is in until he gives up as many goals as fleury, at least. You always ride the hot goalie.

• Like 1

OMG you absoultely go with Vokoun. Without question.

MAYBE give Fleury another chance in Game 1 of the next series (if you get there).

I don't think it's a real dilemma either. But I guess I am thinking more down-the-road, long-term sort of thing... If Vocoun does well in this playoffs, it really brings up a question what do you even do with MAF moving forward. Vocoun was really brought in more as a MAF's back up. I just don't know how fragile Fleury is and what this (getting benched for an unforeseen future) does to his confidence if Pittsburgh still views him as a franchise goalie. You guys know him better obviously...

But yeah, you run with a better 'tender. That's the rule of thumb and it would probably be a very easy choice for Bylsma.

Edited by Mad Dog

I don't think it's a real dilemma either. But I guess I am thinking more down-the-road, long-term sort of thing... If Vocoun does well in this playoffs, it really brings up a question what do you even do with MAF moving forward. Vocoun was really brought in more as a MAF's back up. I just don't know how fragile Fleury is and what this (getting benched for an unforeseen future) does to his confidence if Pittsburgh still views him as a franchise goalie. You guys know him better obviously...

But yeah, you run with a better 'tender. That's the rule of thumb and it would probably be a very easy choice for Bylsma.

Not just his backup, but also because Fleury has done this in the past. Most fans don't consider him the franchise goalie, his numbers in the log run are not that great. He can play fabulous one game then crap the bed the next. If they ride Vokoun, and Vokoun takes them far, it could signal the end of Fleury. The $5M cap hit is something they could use elsewhere.

Ah - the 800 lbs. gorilla in the room.

Fleury has a $5,000,000 cap hit up to and including the 2014-15 season. The offseason prior to that is our fiscal cliff....Malkin, Kunitz, Orpik, Letang and Niskanen are all UFA. The general thought was you won't be able to keep both Malkin and Letang without shedding some salary...Paul Martin's name seems to come up a lot.

So..........why not Fleury? Not saying I would but it's a legitimate question. You know he's good in the regular season but the postseason....not so good. Even the year they won the Cup they did it with the lowest save % (.909) in the 15-20 years prior. If you are the Pens, the playoffs are the goal.

Do you keep Vokoun for 1 more year and groom Hartzell or Zatkoff behind him? Zatkoff had a .920 save % and 1.96 GAA for the WBS Baby Pens.

Not sure what I would do or what the Pens will do...but it has to be discussed.