My NHL Draft research complete these are the top 5 in order I like for us

Mario99

@Mario99

I was surprised to not see Erne's name among the ISS top 30 that came out yesterday. I wonder what's that all about....Erne was a a 1st round pick throughout most of the year, usually in the top 20. I figured he'd go in that 15-22 range.

not sure about that list... I still think at #11 Nurse (might be a stretch) is there and if not Risto will most likely be there. I rather have Risto than any of those players frankly. Not huge on Zadarov either but would like to think Nurse or Risto is there...

Mantha could be interesting as he has nice size and is a winger but I think taking him at 11 is a stretch. Same goes for Rychel here...

Shinkaruk - we do not need another center (small too) - no thanks.

Lazar is a nice player but again I think we are fine at center unless you are booting coots in a trade. Also, Lazar and Shinkaruk are not stepping into the NHL so maybe you bring Laughton up if Cooter is traded.

Edited by murraycraven

On those mocks and rankings everyone has an agenda whatever it might be, so I don't put much stock in those also

Mantha has great hands and vision and a good skater for his size, he reminds me of a poor man's Mike Bossy from left side shot,

Shinkaruk has all the tools and skill but is 175 lbs but can play, Erne was compared to a young Simon Gagne and is big and nasty

6-1 200 lbs, Rychal is not like his Dad he skates and has a great shot also big winger that we need 6-1 200lbs, Lazar didn't play well

In last 2 games of the Playoffs so I am down oh him, watch out for Burakovsky he might be a sleeper kinda of light at 175 lbs

But is great in open ice

Craven, I would stay away from drafting Defensemen, Flyers have not had much luck or success in drafting them also we had 2 Finnish Defensemen that didn't work out long term for us, Pitkanen was a dumb player had no hockey sense and Niinamaa was a head case with his concert going before a game

I'd take Seth Jone or Nurse but I feel Carolina at 5 is taking Nurse, bank on it

Cheers

Craven, I would stay away from drafting Defensemen, Flyers have not had much luck or success in drafting them also we had 2 Finnish Defensemen that didn't work out long term for us, Pitkanen was a dumb player had no hockey sense and Niinamaa was a head case with his concert going before a game

I'd take Seth Jone or Nurse but I feel Carolina at 5 is taking Nurse, bank on it

Cheers

I understand the take the best player available and the flyers are terrible at drafting defensemen let alone grooming a defensemen for the NHL. I am more than hoping that Nurse is sitting at the 11th pick and I undestand it is a stretch. this is an important draft for the flyers and I can completely see them not drafting a defenseman at 11. with thier history I would be a little gun shy as well ;) but the back end of this Team really needs help...

Do you think Risto is available at 11? What dont you like about him other than being Finnish?

@Mario99

Have you seen any of these guys play, other than highlights?

Mantha seems like a boom or bust type to me. Not sure I'd want to use the 11th overall on that type of player...actually I wouldn't. Same goes for Burakovsky. Shinkaruk is a good player. Rychel, in jammers opinion (he of Windsor Spitfire fanaticism) isn't worth a 1st rounder. I'll take his word. Lazar isn't a bad choice. Erne is a huge reach at 11 IMO. He really didn't up his game much this past year compared to the previous...not a good sign.

Edited by flyercanuck

flyerrcanuck and Craven, Risto just doesn't do it for me, dont think he has much upside offensivley nice shot plays in a tough league but he reminds me of Ossi Väänänen, did you know that Mantha's grand pa is Montreal Canadiens great

André Pronovost

flyercanuck Shinkaruk is small like Kane, Drouin is a little bigger but same type of game IMO, who are your guys at 11

Here is Meltzers take on Mantha:

Anthony Mantha (Val-d'Or, QMJHL): There will be some folks who will dispute the "power forward" designation for the 6-foot-4 right winger, because he is an above average skater with some finesse in his game. There are some who say he's not nearly physical enough and lacks jam (especially Red Line Report's Kyle Woodlief, who detests this prospect because he believes Mantha to be very soft) while others say he is as physical as he needs to be at his current level of play. What no one disputes is the fact that he has good hands with a formidable one-timer and deflection ability, is a good passer and is hard to take off the puck along the walls. As he reaches the pro level, he will have to use his size and strength to create opportunities for his finesse game, and not vice versa. For a reference point. think of the learning curve that Joffrey Lupul, James Neal, Bobby Ryan and James van Riemsdyk have undergone. Mantha also has some work to do to improve defensively but is already on the right track. The player, who was born a little too late for the 2012 Draft eligibility cutoff, made good strides in all areas this past season. He is a likely mid-to-late first-round pick but it would also not be a stretch if the Flyers took him with the 11th overall pick.

Anthony Mantha is a poor man's Mike Bossy, you cant have a whole team of grinders you need guys with skill to go with the bangers, remember Rick McLeish

Bossy was like 5'11" and 180 lbs, Mantha is 6'4" and 205 as an 18 year old.

@murraycraven

Some folks who follow the Q say he does take shifts off. He's big and is still growing into his body so I think his skating looks laboured at times - could be confused with laziness. He's got bloodlines in his favour (Provonost family). Total stretch at #11.

• Like 1

I've always been a HUGE Horvat fan, so even though we need a d-man, I'd be thrilled to have him in the O&B. Like what I've seen of RIsto, but ya know, the more I read about Pullock (sp?), the more I'm interested. First off, absolute rocket of a shot, great passer, and I'm reading reports that his physicality is really underrated.

PLEASE stay away from the prima donna Rychel....ego to big, not interested in defense....pass.

@Mario99

I was surprised to not see Erne's name among the ISS top 30 that came out yesterday. I wonder what's that all about....Erne was a a 1st round pick throughout most of the year, usually in the top 20. I figured he'd go in that 15-22 range.

Tidbit of interesting connection between Erne and Nathan MacKinnon. Erne was a second round pick in the QMJHL draft of the Halifax Mooseheads. Rumours were Patrick Roy and his Quebec Remparts had a deal for him to come to Quebec Remparts. The Moose used this leverage to trade him to Quebec and with the return they got, Quebec's first round pick and more to Baie Comeau to get Nathan MacKinnon.