Mason / Bryzgalov goalie tandem for 2013-14

Guest hf101

I think keeping Bryzgalov for another season is the best option for the Flyers going into next season. Bryz will make a better than average backup. And I really don't care about his cap hit for one more season. The total for both of them is 7.16M. The Rangers pay 8.2 M for Lundquist and Byron. The Penguins pay 7M for Fleury and Vokoun.

Buying out Bryz this summer would be a mistake considering the other options available this season. Mason will earn the starting role and Bryz can play his 20-25 games as the back-up. Buy him out next summer when there are many more options available without losing roster players, prospects or draft picks.

• Like 1

@hf101

In what way would bryzgalov make a better than average back up? If he's an absolute bottom of the barrel starter (was it 37th in sv%?), what makes you think he'd be in anyway serviceable as a backup?

Imo, if the idea is filling back up duties behind mason, may as well bring back leightonen. It better, boucher.

I mean, bryzgalov hasn't just been not worth his salary, he's been amongst the worst goalies in the league. I see zero situations where it is preferable to have him in a flyers jersey ever again.

• Like 3

@aziz

yeah so his save% was less than outstanding, Bryz was .900 and Quick was .902 I'm not saying Bryz is almost as good as Quick, just that stats don't always tell what happened during a game or the season. We both know there were other issues with the team.

We could go round and round on this, but a backup goaltender generally is expected to win half of his starts. Bryz has shown he can do that. Looking back at last season, Bryz was not horrible in every loss this past season. I thought there were many games he gave the team a chance to win. And for the most part a backup goaltender is there to give the team a chance to win.

I just think the options out there this off season are limited.

FWIW, there was a report yesterday that Rich Winter, Bryz's agent, has been told Bryz won't be bought out.

Yeah the same person told Jeff Carter that we will count on him for the lenght of his contract just 2 weeks before he was traded to LA ;)

Edited by krasy

@jackhole

He wouldn't acknowledge him. He'd look away. Then there was the sleeping (or pretending to) while on the bench. Good teammates (especially goalies) may want to play, but will also cheer the other guy on. Bryz I guess thought he was above that.

FWIW, there was a report yesterday that Rich Winter, Bryz's agent, has been told Bryz won't be bought out.

According to Ryan Dadoun There was this update last night:

Update: “I didn’t assure Rich Winter of anything. When the time comes to do our business we will do whatever is best for our hockey team,” Holmgren told Tim Panacci. In other words, anything is still possible.

@Bertmega

@Hexy27

good points, but I also think that Bryz is well aware that the goalie plan has changed since the Classic. Bryz could also shut himself down from the media again. IF he has an interest to play next season in the NHL then it isn't unreasonable to expect that he would play his best no matter what his role is. Pouting would result in a direct one way ticket to the KHL.

Fixed it for you: He could will be be a locker room disaster.

^ This.

The fact that it has been "leaked" to the media that the players "do not want to play for him or with him" tells me you have to get rid of him. Why would you want your core to be exposed to this virus?

This is all smoke and mirrors. Bryzgalov will not be a Flyer by September... though he will be receiving cheques from them until 2027.

^ This.

The fact that it has been "leaked" to the media that the players "do not want to play for him or with him" tells me you have to get rid of him. Why would you want your core to be exposed to this virus?

This is all smoke and mirrors. Bryzgalov will not be a Flyer by September... though he will be receiving cheques from them until 2027.

Brel... I dont understand what the benefit is to bringing him back. It is going to turn into a circus and could land us right back into the whole #88 type situation. They just need to cuts ties with Bryz. I am nto sure how there is any benefit to keeping this guy around the young core. It is going to be too much of a distraction for a young Captain to handle.

And to think Bryz is going to play the good soldier is crazy talk.

Brel... I dont understand what the benefit is to bringing him back. It is going to turn into a circus and could land us right back into the whole #88 type situation. They just need to cuts ties with Bryz. I am nto sure how there is any benefit to keeping this guy around the young core. It is going to be too much of a distraction for a young Captain to handle.

And to think Bryz is going to play the good soldier is crazy talk.

Absolutely. It's one thing if you just don't have the skills you're being paid to use. Leighton comes to mind.

But Bryz brings a whole lotta baggage with him that you can see is wearing very thin with the rest of the team. Keeping him around makes this team worse, even if he is not in goal.

We could go round and round on this, but a backup goaltender generally is expected to win half of his starts. Bryz has shown he can do that. Looking back at last season, Bryz was not horrible in every loss this past season. I thought there were many games he gave the team a chance to win. And for the most part a backup goaltender is there to give the team a chance to win.

you're right, of course, but surely there are cheaper, more stable, less likely to cause a circus ways of finding someone who can win half their games, aren't there? there aren't a lot of super impressive names on this summer's UFA list, but you don't need super impressive for that role.

bryzgalov brings problems with him, and doesn't solve any problems 30 other guys can't. why take bad with good if you can just have good?

• Like 1

Agreed... for a young team this is not something you want. It is not like the Philly media is going to play nice in this situation either. This could turn into something very ugly... In the end I am 98% sure that Bryz is a done as a Flyer within the next two weeks.

Unless there is a move to trade for Bernier or another potential goalie, Bryzgalov will be on the Flyers next season.

Here's the "Agent says Bryz staying" report:

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/20130619_Flyers_mulling_options_at_goaltender.html

Yes, this should be treated as if the team has no interest in trading for Comrie. But I just can't see the Flyers going into next season with Steve Mason and whatever Michael Leighton replacement is available as their tandem.

Whatever's going to happen with the buyouts will happen in the next few weeks.

Fasten your seatbelts, it's going to be a bumpy night.

Agreed... for a young team this is not something you want. It is not like the Philly media is going to play nice in this situation either. This could turn into something very ugly... In the end I am 98% sure that Bryz is a done as a Flyer within the next two weeks.

On a related note, your avatar turnover rate is approaching Homerian levels.