You knew this was coming, right? Shea Weber

Guest murraycraven

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the way Homer structured the Weber contract was a $13 million signing bonus upon signing the contract, $1 million base salary last year, then another $13 million bonus this summer. So Nashville has only paid Weber $14 million so far. I'm not sure when that second monus is due, but Nashville can trade him prior to that and not be responsbile for it. So if Nashville does move him, it will be prior to the bonus being due. I have not read this or heard anyone report this, I'm just guessing, but it seems pretty logical.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the way Homer structured the Weber contract was a $13 million signing bonus upon signing the contract, $1 million base salary last year, then another $13 million bonus this summer. So Nashville has only paid Weber $14 million so far. I'm not sure when that second monus is due, but Nashville can trade him prior to that and not be responsbile for it. So if Nashville does move him, it will be prior to the bonus being due. I have not read this or heard anyone report this, I'm just guessing, but it seems pretty logical.

It is due July 1. The bonuses were timed so that they would take place before Nashville would be able to trade Weber.

The contract - as was detailed vociferously by fans - was structured to make it almost impossible for Nashville to match.

A team would have to be insane, after all, to give a guy $27M in one season.

• Like 1

I *think* the bonus would be due on the annivesary date of the contract, so it would make sense to trade him before that....IF they were looking to trade him, which won't be to Philadelphia at any rate. The bonus is a strictly a cash flow $ issue, the cap number is what it is.

Edit: What Rad said....disregard my blabbering

Edited by sarsippius

I *think* the bonus would be due on the annivesary date of the contract, so it would make sense to trade him before that....IF they were looking to trade him, which won't be to Philadelphia at any rate. The bonus is a strictly a cash flow $ issue, the cap number is what it is.

They can't trade him until after a year from the date they signed the contract.

Sorry, but I just had to post this... we have been through this before a million times but when I read over this I just started laughing... this is from John Boruk's article on CSN Philly:

Q. The Flyers' priority should be defense. From where will that come?

A. The Flyers have plenty of defense actually. At last count, the team has eight defensemen signed for next season, but if you measure their blue line from top to bottom, it speaks more to quantity than quality. They could make a play for Coyotes defenseman Keith Yandle, but with the Mark Streit signing, I don’t see the Flyers venturing down that desert road. I’m hearing rumblings that the Predators could make Shea Weber available come July 23, the one-year anniversary of when Nashville matched the Flyers' 14-year offer sheet. The Preds, coming off a terrible season, have a ton of money locked up in two players (Pekka Rinne and Weber), and Paul Holmgren would pull off a Chris Pronger-type megadeal in a micro-minute if they had a chance at Weber ... and then we won’t have to have this discussion again for a long time.

They way this offseason is shaping up I would not be surprised (joke) if the Flyers are linked to Lidstrom - coming out of retirement... I can not imagine for one minute the Preds passing Weber to anyone considering they paid 27M (?) in year one of that contract.

Yeah, it would just make no sense for the Preds to trade him at that point, especially considering the front-loaded contract. Although if another team would be willing to do a Herschel Walker type of deal (sorry for the football analogy), they'd probably do it.

My opinion? Weber is a great player & would vastly improve the Flyers, but he's no Eric Lindros. If an Eric Lindros comes along, trade half your team to get him; if not? Nope.

Only if this ends Bryz's tenure in Philly...then sign me up and i'll drive him to the airport.

I would do just about anything to see Bryz leave Philly. Replacing a bad contract with a worse one-not at this point.

I admit, I liked the move by Homer at the time, but given time to reflect, I praise Marty Moose daily that Nashville matched.

You traded half your team for Lindros once already... How'd that work out?

It actually wasn't that bad but yet once again if the Flyers had removed Hexy and his seive like ass from the 96 or even 97 team and actually got someone that could stop a puck they might have had a better chance of raising the Cup...we'll never know one thing i think would have maybe changed is they wouldn't have got swept in 97...goaltending has been the Achilles heel of this organization...look no further than choosing Beezer over Cujo!!!!!!!

It actually wasn't that bad but yet once again if the Flyers had removed Hexy and his seive like ass from the 96 or even 97 team and actually got someone that could stop a puck they might have had a better chance of raising the Cup...we'll never know one thing i think would have maybe changed is they wouldn't have got swept in 97...goaltending has been the Achilles heel of this organization...look no further than choosing Beezer over Cujo!!!!!!!

The point was the team you traded with went on to win the Cup, while your investment faltered then eventually had to stop playing. I've always wondered if you guys would've won one if that trade had never happened...?

The point was the team you traded with went on to win the Cup, while your investment faltered then eventually had to stop playing. I've always wondered if you guys would've won one if that trade had never happened...?

While we're rubbing salt, remember that the other team that traded for him but didn't get him thanks to Larry Bertuzzi's decision won a Cup too, 2 years later. Dick :D

• Like 1

While we're rubbing salt, remember that the other team that traded for him but didn't get him thanks to Larry Bertuzzi's decision won a Cup too, 2 years later. Dick :D

I wasn't rubbing salt in the past so much as pointing out the folly of Andy's post! Lol

I've always wondered if you guys would've won one if that trade had never happened...?

Yeah well i always wondered what would have happened if the Flyers had addressed the goaltending issue in the draft before Lindros, instead of taking yet another center in Ricci and took that journeyman ( ;) ) Broduer instead....hindsight ain't it lovely....or even a young Jagr at the time...yet they passed.

@doom88

I actually do agree with that to a large extent. I think we've discussed ad nauseam how Stevens' hit in game 7 would have suspension-worthy today. But E didn't do himself any favors by string at the ice too much either. It's just a damn shame for him, for Philadelphia, that things turned out the way they did. Of all the woulda coulda shouldas over the last 38 years, Lindros' shortened career is maybe the saddest.

Edited by sarsippius