Wild not re-signing Backstrom? Then who?

hf101

In an interview with the Minnesota Star-Tribune, Leipold explained his thoughts on retaining Backstrom.

“Last year was not one of his best years and we think we may have overplayed him,” Leipold explained. “But he’s a good goalie. There’s a number of teams in this league that would like to have him.

“We know Niklas is available and we know exactly what kind of player he can be and we know what he can do. He keeps himself in incredible shape. We are not uncomfortable with Niklas Backstrom as our No. 1 goalie.”

For sure not at 6M. The Wild would like to buy out Danny Heatley but the shoulder ailment could force the Wild to retain him. They are currently 6.7M under the cap with decisions to make on RFAs Cal Clutterbuck, Justin Falk and Jared Spurgeon, There is probably no room for FA Matt Cullen or Marc-Andre Bouchard.

I'm somewhat surprised that the Wild would not try to retain Backstrom for a couple of more years. I'm thinking a trade must be in order, as they are somewhat tight against the cap.

Bernier maybe, but Halak is more a guaranteed starter.

In an interview with the Minnesota Star-Tribune, Leipold explained his thoughts on retaining Backstrom.

“Last year was not one of his best years and we think we may have overplayed him,” Leipold explained. “But he’s a good goalie. There’s a number of teams in this league that would like to have him.

“We know Niklas is available and we know exactly what kind of player he can be and we know what he can do. He keeps himself in incredible shape. We are not uncomfortable with Niklas Backstrom as our No. 1 goalie.”

For sure not at 6M. The Wild would like to buy out Danny Heatley but the shoulder ailment could force the Wild to retain him. They are currently 6.7M under the cap with decisions to make on RFAs Cal Clutterbuck, Justin Falk and Jared Spurgeon, There is probably no room for FA Matt Cullen or Marc-Andre Bouchard.

I'm somewhat surprised that the Wild would not try to retain Backstrom for a couple of more years. I'm thinking a trade must be in order, as they are somewhat tight against the cap.

Bernier maybe, but Halak is more a guaranteed starter.

halak has been battling injuries, it's the reason why elliot has been starting, i wouldnt take him either, backstrom will probably want alot and he's battling injuries too, that's why they are not resigning him. i would wait until next year and try to get lindy, he's a proven starter and been solid in the playoffs.

@toughfighter83

I believe Halak was fit to play during the playoffs, just that Elliot received all the starts. I'll assume Backstrom wants a longer contract for more money than what the Wild are offering. But geez they can't wait till next year. They have Harding who has MS and one can not be for sure he wouldn't have times where his medicine needs to be adjusted and he can't play. Kuemper is a nice fill in when Harding has issues, but the Wild are a playoff team and need a #1 goalie.

What makes this even more crazy is how they moved Matt Hackett, a highly thought of youngster in net to Buffalo in the Pominville trade...just my opinion, but I felt he should have been the goalie of the future for the Wild.

@hf101

Is there anything out there discussing Harding's MS? There's been a lot of talk saying he has it, but MS has a super wide range of signs, and some folks don't even feel the effects of it.

Not recently. However in the later points of the season when the Wild were dropping in the standings Kuemper was called up to replace Harding. Reports at that time was that Harding didn't feel like himself as he was switching medications. The Wild seem confident he can play but they are obviously looking for a #1 guy.

What makes this even more crazy is how they moved Matt Hackett, a highly thought of youngster in net to Buffalo in the Pominville trade...just my opinion, but I felt he should have been the goalie of the future for the Wild.

That was a horrible trade. Hopefully has a successful season this year for them. I think the plan was that Pominville would replace Heatley. I guess they will have to take one of their players to arbitration to buy out some time to clear Heatley healthwise.

Harding started the season as the backup and even had a shutout in his first start before his MS was getting worse. He had a difficult time getting his medication regulated and missed most of the season with Kuempfer serving as the primary backup.

Because of an injury to Backstrom Harding played in the first round series against Chicago which they quickly lost but not because of Harding. He is trying to get his medication under control over the summer and has vowed to be back at the start of the season.

He has had hip surgeries as well as ACL and MCL surgeries with his right knee being like spaghetti forcing him to miss a whole season. Now the M.S. the man has went through it all. I root for him every game he plays in because every interview I have ever seen he is smiling. I cant even get mad at him for absolutely OWNING my Wings.

He better win the Masterton trophy. I wouldn't even mind if they renamed it the Harding trophy. If anyone can come back next season it is Harding.

Harding won the Masterton trophy.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=674058

thank you I missed it so now time to get off my soapbox. I am telling ya though if he is half as good of a human being as he comes across in interviews he is a great guy, he refuses to feel sorry for himself with the MS or the multiple surgeries. A truly inspiring human being. He really does always kill my Wings and I really don't mind....

With Bernier traded to the Leafs the Wild are now shifting gears, and probably for the better. Apparently they have contacted Pittsburgh for Fleury.

I can see this a deal both sides would seriously consider.

As crazy as this sounds, I think the Wild are one of the few teams where they *might* entertain a trade for Bryzgalov.

They play sound defensive hockey, and have excellent defensemen. Bryz could return to his Phoenix form there. And I'm almost certain Bryz would have no problem lifting his NMC to get the heck out of Philly... you know, with all the shot blocking defensemen, not to mention the poor people in the streets.

Trade Bryz for the rights to Backstrom and a draft pick.

@brelic

I don't know a 5.6M cap hit for the next 7 years isn't exactly what the Wild probably have in mind. Why give up even a pick for that when they could sign him to a much shorter cheaper contract if Philly buys Bryz out?

Looks like the Wild tested the waters and chose to re-sign Backstrom for 3 years at a 3.42M cap hit for the next 3 years.

Seems like a win / win for both sides.

@hf101 Seems to me, he could have got a lot more on the UFA market.....looks like he like in in Minny, cause on the surface, he took a pay cut to be there and take them to the promised land. Betcha the young talented forward and d-man pool had a part in this decision. By the time the last year of this deal comes up, the Wild's youth movement will be contributing big minutes for that team. I expect Minnesota to win the Presidents trophy in a few years.

@hf101 Seems to me, he could have got a lot more on the UFA market.....looks like he like in in Minny, cause on the surface, he took a pay cut to be there and take them to the promised land. Betcha the young talented forward and d-man pool had a part in this decision. By the time the last year of this deal comes up, the Wild's youth movement will be contributing big minutes for that team. I expect Minnesota to win the Presidents trophy in a few years.

A Stanley Cup would be better ;) . Yeah add the quality youth and a couple of vets like Parise and Suter. Unfortunately for them though they wanted to buy out Heatley but can't after his shoulder surgery. Looks as if they are shopping Gilbert and Clutterbuck.

Wonder what the price tag for Gilbert is. He appears to be a younger and cheaper Mark Streit, imo.

@hf101 Gilbert is an interesting guy. He did some decent work on the Wild 2nd pp. He did turn 30 in January. I think he's one of those really, really late bloomers who could take off if given the right playing time with the right players. He is kinda blocked in Minn, looks like a prime candidate to be moved......agree with Clutterbuck being moved also. Great team guy, decent hands, he can play on my 3rd line any day. I saw this coming, the kids will force out the respectable vets.