Lecavalier being put on Giroux's line?

Guest pilldoc

Ok. Saw this article on Philly.com. No one has posted a topic similiar to this , so here it goes.

http://www.philly.co...rouxs-line.html

]The Flyers are at least kicking around the idea of moving recently signed center Vinny Lecavalier to RW on Claude Giroux's first line. That was one of the many interesting aspects of a conference call Saturday with Lecavalier and reporters. From here, if the Flyers placed the 6-foot-4, 215-pound Lecavalier on Giroux's unit they would be putting all their eggs in one basket. It makes more sense to have two strong units, with Giroux centering Scott Hartnell and Jake Voracek, and Lecavalier centering Brayden Schenn and Wayne Simmonds. The third line might have Sean Couturier centering Max Talbot and Matt Read. The Flyers should want BOTH Giroux and Lecavalier to take draws. Both are excellent in the faceoff circle. Giroux won 54.5 percent last year, while Lecavalier won 54.4 percent. The Flyers were 23d in the 30-team NHL last season, winning 48.5 percent of their draws. Faceoff wins should be more common in 2013-14. The Flyers recently re-signed Adam Hall, who won 59 percent of his draws in 11 games with the Flyers last season.

Follow Sam Carchidi on Twitter @BroadStBull.

Read more at http://www.philly.co...J7vg5V6ZEXXW.99

Edited by pilldoc

Not sure what's going on with your post, doc, but the same paragraph shows up 5 times.

Yeah, I think you might see Lecavalier on Giroux's wing at one point for the novelty, but I think it would be silly to fix what's not broken. Voracek had a monster year playing on Giroux's wing, and he's just getting started. THe impressive thing is that he maintained his consistency even when Giroux was in a slump. He makes things happen on his own. So in that regard, I can at least see the point of trying it out, you know, so media can talk about Vinny and Claude on the same line. The PP seems like another natural spot to have Vinny with Giroux, Voracek at the point, Hartnell or Simmonds in front of the net, and Timo or Streit as the defenseman.

• Like 1

<br />Yeah, I think you might see Lecavalier on Giroux's wing at one point for the novelty, but I think it would be silly to fix what's not broken. Voracek had a monster year playing on Giroux's wing, and he's just getting started. <br />

but hartnell is a waste up there. personally, i'd like to see some variation on:

lecavalier - Giroux - voracek

hartnell - schenn - Simmonds

read - couturier - Talbot

mcginn - rinaldo - hall

that second line would have basically zero flair, but would be aggressive with good offensive instincts. would be a handful in the offensive zone, though getting into the offensive zone to begin with might be a challenge.

Not sure what's going on with your post, doc, but the same paragraph shows up 5 times.

Yeah, I think you might see Lecavalier on Giroux's wing at one point for the novelty, but I think it would be silly to fix what's not broken. Voracek had a monster year playing on Giroux's wing, and he's just getting started. THe impressive thing is that he maintained his consistency even when Giroux was in a slump. He makes things happen on his own. So in that regard, I can at least see the point of trying it out, you know, so media can talk about Vinny and Claude on the same line. The PP seems like another natural spot to have Vinny with Giroux, Voracek at the point, Hartnell or Simmonds in front of the net, and Timo or Streit as the defenseman.

oops! :) ..I was having issues with copy and paste...i will clean it up...sorry :( .....but yeah. I agree with your thoughts. Leave them separate on the 1st and 2nd line, but come PP time, I could see them together.

Edited by pilldoc

but hartnell is a waste up there. personally, i'd like to see some variation on:

mcginn - rinaldo - hall

that second line would have basically zero flair, but would be aggressive with good offensive instincts. would be a handful in the offensive zone, though getting into the offensive zone to begin with might be a challenge.

I think I'd like to see what in shape, non broken foot Scott Hartnell is like on the top line... If he can't keep up then tinker, like you Simmonds Schenn and Hartnell would be tough once they got possession but getting the puck may be an issue.

mcginn - rinaldo - hall

During the same conference call, Vinny said he couldn't play LW:

Tim Panaccio@tpanotchCSN5h

If I am Lavy, dont want to mess with obvious chemistry Giruox/Voracek have. I put Lecavalier w/Schenn and Simmonds. Vinny says cant play LW

hell, just put Giroux on the left. his favorite shooting spot is that left side faceoff dot, anyway.

I dunno. I think way too much is made of the forward positioning. go to youtube and search any winger you feel like, with the word "goal" after his name, and at least half of what comes up will be that guy scoring from his off wing. do "hartnell goal" and it is almost all of them from the right side. just don't see how it makes any difference at all.

It's more the defensive zone than the offensive zone that defines the winger's responsibilities. But I'm suprised that he can't play on his "natural" wing. It should be easier, not harder.

I like the idea, even of putting VLC at center and putting giroux into the playmaking wing he was coming out of junior.

Responsibility could give Lecavalier the desire to play 82 hard games and free up Giroux om potential injury in the circle.

Makes VLC - as the team was probably envisioning - into a younger, longer term Jagr.

Ok. Saw this article on Philly.com. No one has posted a topic similiar to this , so here it goes.

http://www.philly.co...rouxs-line.html

]The Flyers are at least kicking around the idea of moving recently signed center Vinny Lecavalier to RW on Claude Giroux's first line. That was one of the many interesting aspects of a conference call Saturday with Lecavalier and reporters. From here, if the Flyers placed the 6-foot-4, 215-pound Lecavalier on Giroux's unit they would be putting all their eggs in one basket. It makes more sense to have two strong units, with Giroux centering Scott Hartnell and Jake Voracek, and Lecavalier centering Brayden Schenn and Wayne Simmonds. The third line might have Sean Couturier centering Max Talbot and Matt Read. The Flyers should want BOTH Giroux and Lecavalier to take draws. Both are excellent in the faceoff circle. Giroux won 54.5 percent last year, while Lecavalier won 54.4 percent. The Flyers were 23d in the 30-team NHL last season, winning 48.5 percent of their draws. Faceoff wins should be more common in 2013-14. The Flyers recently re-signed Adam Hall, who won 59 percent of his draws in 11 games with the Flyers last season.

Follow Sam Carchidi on Twitter @BroadStBull.

Read more at http://www.philly.co...J7vg5V6ZEXXW.99

So they want a space-clearer for G's line?

I would rather see Vinny center the 2nd line. He could always spend time on the PP with Giroux.

I found that article puzzling as well. Lavy would be nuts to break up the chemistry between G & Jake.

hell, just put Giroux on the left. his favorite shooting spot is that left side faceoff dot, anyway.

I dunno. I think way too much is made of the forward positioning. go to youtube and search any winger you feel like, with the word "goal" after his name, and at least half of what comes up will be that guy scoring from his off wing. do "hartnell goal" and it is almost all of them from the right side. just don't see how it makes any difference at all.

That's true, isn't it?

But isn't G more of a play-maker than a sniper?

I guess that's why I'm not a hockey coach, eh? :)

. . . .Simmonds Schenn and Hartnell would be tough once they got possession but getting the puck may be an issue.

That might be a good line, but so might Vinny playing center on that line with Simmonds & Schenn. That would be the black & blue line.

• Like 1