What about Gustafsson?

Guest Polaris922

Ok gang I have a question... Erik Gustafsson is in pretty much every conversation as an up and coming D man. He's pretty much in everybody's lineup that's posted one.

Why hasn't he been signed yet?? Have they tendered him the qualifying offer??

Edited by Polaris922

Why hasn't he been signed yet?? Have they tendered him the qualifying offer??

Maybe because of cap issues...maybe they were instructed to not rush to sign...by Homer so it wouldn't technically count till ink was put to it...or maybe as you say they may be holding out praying for an offer sheet to drive the price up...your guess as to mine on which it could be.

Also if you look around it isn't showing anyone of the tendered RFA have signed...someone thing paper work wise hold up...who knows.

Edited by OccamsRazor

Could be Gus's camp is less than enthused about his prospects. He's stuck with bottom pairing minutes as of right now. There are at least 5 other defensemen ahead of him on the 'depth' chart, 6 if you include a healthy Meszaros. If I'm Gus, I'm hoping an offer sheet brings me somewhere I have a real chance to play.

Maybe because of cap issues...maybe they were instructed to not rush to sign...by Homer so it wouldn't technically count till ink was put to it...or maybe as you say they may be holding out praying for an offer sheet to drive the price up...your guess as to mine on which it could be.

Also if you look around it isn't showing anyone of the tendered RFA have signed...someone thing paper work wise hold up...who knows.

Interesting... I can't see him going anywhere. Especially with the cap making things tight for so many teams.

@Polaris922

He's been qualified and I have no doubt will get signed. The bigger question mark is what Brelic mentioned - his development. He is very low on the depth chart and will see crappy minutes, most likely. I will be curious to see how exactly Laviolette uses him. From everything I read and heard, Laviolette is big on Gus, so I hope he treats him accordingly.

One thing I know is if Timonen logs heavier minutes than Gus during the regular season, this team is pretty much hopeless.

Interesting... I can't see him going anywhere

Especially after he was maybe the best defenseman at this past World Cup...no...ok maybe not the best stat wise that honor belongs to Streit's Swiss teammate Roman Josi who was awesome too...

....Gus's effort might not show up on the stat sheet but he ate up big minutes when called upon (he and Tallinder were key in them winning it all).

One of Sweden Dmen (Elder i think) went down and his minutes went up again.

So honestly he is just scratching the surface of what he is capable of IMHO.

One of the few that the Flyers have remained patient with and it's paying dividends or will soon..funny what happens when you give "kids time"........

Edited by OccamsRazor
  • Like 2

@Mad Dog

@brelic

@OccamsRazor

I think Timonen's minutes will be cut by way of natural selection, so to speak. But I think Streit will be your #1 guy. I sympathize with your concerns for Gus' playing time because we watched the same thing with Depres and Bortuzzo last year. With signing Scuderi I can see it all happening again.

It'll be worth watching to see what Laviolette does... Of course there's a lot to be seen yet with the rumors surrounding Meszaros and Coburn yet as well. Gus may be 7th... Or may be 4th in the blink of an eye.

Edited by Polaris922

But I think Streit will be your #1 guy.

Minutes wise yes....maybe because as of now no matter what Kimmo is the #1 Schenn #2 not going to sit here and guess( cause i can't ) what their minutes will be, because each one really bring something different to the lineup.

Streit will get his minutes on the powerplay he will be slotted as the 5th or 6th Dman when it comes to defense.

From a defensive responsibly stand point it will be Kimmo, Schenn, Coby, Gus, Grossman , Streit hopefully working to guys strengths and staying away from their weaknesses...hopefully.

Gus will get his money on his next contract.

I sympathize with your concerns for Gus' playing time because we watched the same thing with Depres and Bortuzzo last year. With signing Scuderi I can see it all happening again.

With Depres especially! that kid has looked nothing but good when i've seen him. i'm less impressed with Bortuzzo but haven't seen him as much. Depres looks to be an easy 2nd pairing guy maybe top pairing , i like his game a lot,

Scuderi's game is way different, certainly less of an all around player than Simon, but Scuderi was an ingredient your team was missing though, a guy to actually play defense in the defensive zone. i think he'll make everyone on the blue line better with his presence.

• Like 1

@murraycraven

Any of our dman can get hurt at any given time. They all block shots. Yes Grossman might be more prone because I see him play a physical game unlike Coburn. Coburn is barely physical and he got a seperated shoulder at the end of the year. Lol

I do hope they play Gus alot but don't see Lavy doing it. He likes to play the vet more.

Edited by Vincent05