Burmistrov Leaves Jets for KHL

goalnut3133

So, to the surprise of some, Alexander has left the Jets for a 2-yr deal with the KHL. Another story of a promising young talent, having more than a point a game in the OHL, never surpassed 28 pts in an NHL season! I'm not liking the disparity I see between the jr. leagues & the sometimes failed transition into the NHL. Alex was not ripe enough for the big league despite his stats. I'm hoping our Bo Ho, despite all the glory I'm hearing about that boy, is not going to be another failed attempt at a potential star player.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/story/2013/07/08/sp-nhl-hockey-winnipeg-jets-alexander-burmistrov.html

I think Burmstrov was rushed to the NHL too fast due to the lack of quality centers for the Jets lineup. I had my hopes up also as I drafted him on one of my fantasy hockey teams. Who knows we don't know if there could be family considerations in Russia. And it is an Olympic year.

I wonder if this is just another Radulov failure where Burmstrov returns at the end of his entry level contract looking for that big RFA money?

@hf101 Yes, he was definitely too rushed. But I guess it was something they couldn't pass up, looked too good on paper? Yah, I'd forgotten about the Olympic factor. Ah ha, I bet he does return at the end for the big contract! Good point. Well the upside is that he's still so young at 21, & will have gotten more experience under his belt by then. Will be interesting to see how he develops later.

• 10 months later...

@goalnut3133

Burmistrov was quite a talent in junior. Excellent skater, soft hands and great defensively. I thought they'd rushed him myself, he certainly could have used some size before playing the NHL.

And ain't coming back...

Burmistrov sticking in KHL next year, won’t return to Jets

Claude Noel might be long gone from Winnipeg, but that’s apparently not enough to get Alex Burmistrov back with the Jets.

Burmistrov will stick with KHL club Ak Bars Kazan next year rather than return to the NHL, agent Yuri Nikolaev told the Winnipeg Sun. Burmistrov, 22, spent last year in Russia and performed well for Ak Bars, scoring 10 goals and 37 points in 54 games, but there was some hope he’d be returning to the Jets after Noel — who Burmistrov reportedly clashed with throughout his two seasons in Winnipeg — was dismissed and replaced by Paul Maurice in mid-January.

Nikolaev did say, however, that Burmistrov will consider a return to the Jets once his two-year deal with Ak Bars concludes at the end of the 2014-15 campaign.

The eighth overall pick at the 2010 NHL Entry Draft — taken ahead of the likes of Mikael GranlundJaden Schwartz and Vladimir Tarasenko — Burmistrov had a solid sophomore campaign with Winnipeg in 2011-12, scoring 13 goals and 28 points as a 20-year-old. He looked to be part of the Jets’ foundation moving forward, but tensions with Noel proved his undoing — both Burmistrov he and Nikolaev spoke publicly about how Noel’s presence behind the bench was one of the reasons for the move to Russia last summer.

Earlier this week, the Winnipeg Sun reported on rumors of Burmistov contemplating a move back to North America. It’s worth noting that while he’s not under contract to the Jets, Burmistrov’s rights remain with Winnipeg should he return to the NHL.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/30/burmistrov-sticking-in-khl-next-year-wont-return-to-jets/

He is not a bust-not yet. Guys like Filatov who simply couldn't handle the pace and the rugged nature of the NHL and who returned to Russia with their tails between their legs are becoming fairly common place as the physicality of the NHL seems to be rising.\

Burmistrov simply hated Claude Noel's guts. I think he will return some day to the NHL and while I do not see him as a future first team all star I think he has enough talent to make an impact and have a decent NHL career.

You can see the skill oozing out of this kid. He just kinda seemed to lose his way, for whatever reason. I do think it he was rushed to quick. He could have used some AHL time, to perfect his craft, gain some weight and get some confidence. There is a lesson to be learned here. I'm hoping the Flyers become conservative under Hexy, much like the Wings. I want our prospects to spend some time in the AHL, a couple years if needed. I think the Wings might take it a bit to far, some guys stay down there for 3-4 years, which is to long for my liking, but I'd rather see that than have them rushed and their confidence destroyed.

• 1 year later...

More Burmi speculation: http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/hockey/jets/future-of-burmi-may-get-intriguing-309464031.html

If the Jets don't figure out either: 1) how to get him back in the fold (talk about a "free" upgrade); or 2) trade his rights for a pick or picks at the Draft, then I consider that a significant failure by Chevy. You've got a former 8th overall pick, desperate to be back in the NHL, who is highly skilled, defensively responsible and versatile. That's an asset that you can't keep getting zero return on. 

I'm betting he's traded by end of day Friday.

The risk of him being a cancer in the locker room is high. They are pumping his tires so the whole world knows how great he is, in an attempt to trade him.

I don't see why he wouldn't come back. He had issues with the coach, not the franchise, or city, or fans.

The first part is true re Noel, but sadly many fans put him into the "typical petulant Russian" category. You even see online comments calling him a "lazy Russian" - he's Russian for sure, but I saw no evidence of him being lazy. As for the petulant stuff, history will record that during the lockout Burms dutifully reported to St. John's without gripe. He gets no credit for that.

I'm betting he's traded by end of day Friday.

The risk of him being a cancer in the locker room is high. They are pumping his tires so the whole world knows how great he is, in an attempt to trade him.

You might be right. But I disagree that he will be a cancer in the room, unless fans go out of their way to poison things and create that. If he's traded, it's because Chevy gets real value for him, not some discounted rate. If that's only what's on offer, he will keep his rights and even try to bring him back. As a new Jets fan, I for one, will welcome him back. I might be in the minority there I guess, but that's fine with me.

@Podein25

The first time Burmistrov scores on a breakaway or sets up Ladd on a no look pass, everything will be forgotten and he will be welcomed back as if nothing ever happened. With the real possibility of losing Stafford and Frolik this offseason as well as some lower level forwards, signing Burmistrov should be a priority.

The first time Burmistrov scores on a breakaway or sets up Ladd on a no look pass, everything will be forgotten and he will be welcomed back as if nothing ever happened.

Clearly you've never met Winnipeg sports fans. They are a special bunch I would say. Otherwise I tend to agree with you. I do know Jets fans who quite liked Burms, thought he was misused by Noel. 

With the real possibility of losing Stafford and Frolik this offseason as well as some lower level forwards, signing Burmistrov should be a priority. 

I think Stafford will almost certainly be re-signed. Frolik I'd say is 50-50 right now, could go either way. Lots of moving parts. Chevy is also trying to extend 2017 UFAs like Buff and Ladd.....

Sounds like Frolik has started talking with 3-5 other teams, as the FA pre season opened up. Jets apparantly still in the mix.

I guess we'll see if he was sincere when he said it he was humble and wanted to be a Jet....or weather he takes his agent's advice and takes the money.

@Podein25

Burmistrov is my favorite Russian that we've ever had on the Colts. I loved his two way game, his speed and his skill. I've seen a lot of lazy petulant Russians, but he's not one of them.

I know. But don't tell certain Jets fans that. You're average beer-swilling, truck-driving (NTTAWWT), Don Cherry-loving Jets fan hates all Russians (and most Euros).

Archived