Where does Grabovski land?

I have no idea what Grabovski wants for money, but it seems odd that not a single GM has been able to sign him. He's a good player run off by a team that really made a mistake.

Part of the delay with Grabovski is likely due to the surprise of being bought out and that he was bought out on his wedding day. Add a nice honeymoon to that and I can easily see him not signing right away.

I would think the Capitals, Calgary, Florida and Tampa all want him. His best choice imo is either with the Capitals or Tampa.

• Like 1

Part of the delay with Grabovski is likely due to the surprise of being bought out and that he was bought out on his wedding day. Add a nice honeymoon to that and I can easily see him not signing right away.

I would think the Capitals, Calgary, Florida and Tampa all want him. His best choice imo is either with the Capitals or Tampa.

Why: Yeah, I would bet the honeymoon is a major factor in his not being signed yet.

Where: a team that will give him the money he wants AND will not put make him a 3rd line centre. He has no interest in doing that again, clearly.

JR

@hf101 Now that Calgary is mentioned, how could they *not* sign Grabo, he should be their best center....that team has had a hole in the middle for decades, since Jim Peplinski and the boys were young. He's not the legit #1 guy they really need, but he's better than what they have now.

@hf101 Now that Calgary is mentioned, how could they *not* sign Grabo, he should be their best center....that team has had a hole in the middle for decades, since Jim Peplinski and the boys were young. He's not the legit #1 guy they really need, but he's better than what they have now.

Calgary's in full rebuild mode right now (you know, the kind that Jay Feaster said they would never do) may not be interested in Grabovski.

JR

@JR Ewing Even in full rebuild mode, you still have to pretend you intend on winning, no? Grabo would be the cheapest 1st line center in the league, for a one year deal, I don't know how you would fill that positon any cheaper....and if he plays great, you have first crack at signing him to an extension....seems like a win, win kinda thing. Even if he stunk it up (which I doubt), Feaster is investing a few mill for one year. Seems like the kind of money saving move that would appease the fan base and the ownership group.

@jammer2

That very well could be. I certainly don't know what Feaster intends to do, but I think there's indications in what he's done so far. We know he's gotten rid of the viable talent on his roster, and the only players left who are really being paid are the guys with NTC or NMC attached to their contracts.

However, Grabosvki could land there if he's willing to sign for a low enough figure for CGY to remain interested. Tanking teams don't usually like to spend a lot of money to lose, after all.The big question mark in this is what he's willing to take. I have no idea.

JR

@JR Ewing Calgary has a pretty loyal and smart fan base....but even they can be pushed to far. If they try to ice an AHL team while preaching rebuild, I wonder how the season ticket holders take this. If they signed a few guys like Grabo, they could at least pretend they plan on competing...lol.

Calgary actually makes sense, but I could see him in the KHL if money is a big motivating factor. He'll make more over there than he'll ever get offered here again.

I don't have the link handy Charlio, but I saw a quote from his agent the other day, and he made no bones of the fact that Grabovski isn't wanting to go back to Russia.

JR

@JR Ewing Sounds like a guy who has a lot to prove. I hope he comes back and has a great year, and all his detractors can sit back and look at what could have been should they have signed him. Can't believe all the GM's who watched the Leafs vs Bruins series would not be calling him, especially at this discounted rate.

Can't help myself : I'm just no where near as cheery on Grabovsky as the rest of you. I personally think he ends up overpaid in Russia. I wouldn't give him league minimum to be anywhere near my locker room.

@ruxpin Wow, we see him different, I see one of the best two way forwards in the game, whose offense got recked by a clueless coach. He has been a 30 goal forward just 2 years ago, he has the talent to do it again, just needs a new home and respectable linemates. Should he resign in the NHL, he will only get 2 mill a year or so...but deserves upwards of 4 mill. If I had to vote for most underrated player, Grabo gets my vote. I hope he gets a chance to prove you wrong....lol.

@jammer2 The fact he's still sitting there despite the fact he has some talent says to me where there's smoke there's fire with him character-wise. I fully expect him to share a flight to Bozoland with Bryz.

I've learned over the years to trust your take on players, though, so we'll see.

@ruxpin Honestly rux, I've seen this guy play 80+ games approx in the past few years, his work ethic is beyond reproach. I can't answer why he's still sitting there for the taking, but if I was a GM, I'd be all over him. His offense has all but disappeared, but that is cause Caryle used him stictly as checker, then shockingly berates him for lack of offense, when most of his starts come in his own end, against the other teams scorers. If anyone in this league got a raw deal, it's this man. All the anger when he was bought out, totally justified. He gave his heart and soul to that team. His playoff series was exceptional, I don't think it would have gone 7 games had it not been for his stellar defensive play against Bergeron.

According to Eklund:

It is no secret that Grabovski is about to decide on a team and that Winnipeg has decided to go with Blake Wheeler after inking him to a huge contract last night. Carolina, Ottawa and Washington are all in the mix, but this morning I am also hearing talk of Edmonton...

I guess he would be a 3/2 center with each of those teams. The Capitals give him the most promise to be a 2nd line center.

I'd be happy if the Caps end up making a move on him, I'm just not getting my hopes up. McPhee has said he likes the roster the way it is, but at this point I can't imagine Grabovski is going to get too much money we might as well try to get him at a low price for a year.