Little Joe Pavalski signs 30 million, 5 Yr extention

Guest J0e Th0rnton

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=679090&navid=nhl:topheads

That's great news to me as i love Little Joe. We currently have a cap hit of 4 mill for Pavs, and a 2 mill jump is not too bad. Coutures cap hit is currently around 2.9 million, jumping up 3 mill more. that's 5 million more than current to extend our 2 great young centers.

We GOTTA find a way to buy out Havlat now. Grrr on him being ineligible for buyout(Please god let this change). Boyle 's contract comes off the books next season too and Demers is RFA. Havlat's contract makes up the difference in their extentions and he is borderline useless and made of glass.

6 million for our two younger centers with Thornton and Marleau still not signed is a sign that things will be changing next season. We can't keep both unless they agree to smaller contracts. The Salary cap is reported to stay this way for the next 2 years. they both currently have cap its of 6.9 and 7 million. Would they agree to dropping to equal? Joe T would as he has in the past and said "I am already rich, I just want us to be able to put the pieces together for a cup". Not sure about Marleau, who took more than expected to resign last time.

@J0e Th0rnton I think 6 mill a year is right in line with the going rate for Pavs. He's only 29 and even at the end of this deal I anticipate him being a very useful player. I had no idea he was a former Flyer, if only for a few seconds. One of the best 7th round picks in recent memory. Not to often you see a 25-30 goal guy plucked in the 7th round. Man, when he's on, he seems unstoppable. I owned him a few times in fantasy hockey, kinda frustrating, either he carried my team or was very off and on.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=69898

Overall, you will not see many shark fans complaining. Most think it is a wee bit too much but not really given the market, and overall, we are very happy. Couture and Pavs would fetch a fair price on the open market for their two way skills given what guys like Filipula, Clowe and Clarkson are getting(Both are better than any of them)

Core players locked up for 5-6 years.

If the cap goes up next year, we have a bit more breathing room. if not, well, we have around 15 million for Thornton/Marleau/Boyle. Boyle being 37 can expect a paycut. We might be able to swing it. Thornton an Marleau up till now have agreed to short term 3-4 year contract extentions every few years in a land where everyone was asking for very long term deals. Both have expressed desire to win a cup there.

Pavs original extention was only 4 million a year when he could have asked for more on the market. He is being rewarded now.

I hope and hope that the next thing I hear is Thornton and Marleau get extentions at a hometown discount.

I like Pavelski but that sounds like a million or two high to me. I suppose inflation hits hockey too!

Well, Pavelski puts up a good deal of points considering he does most of it at ES, and more recently has been doing it on the third line checking opposing teams with little help. He also is the teams go to PK guy

Looking at the Market and recent signings.

Filppula is making 5 million. He has one 23 goal, 66 point season under his belt. Same age as Pavelski, but overall, usually a 40 point guy tops. He does not kill Penalties often.

Clarkson is making 5.25 million a year, and is a one time 30 goals scorer with a career high 46 points who does not kill penalties.

Jordan Staal makes 6 million for the next 10 years. His defensive play is roughly the same, but his offensive value is a wee bit less. He is the best comparison.

For all the extra things Pavs brings to the table, he could have tested the Market and possibly gotten more.

This made me laugh

"Phew. Was worried I'd be on the hook for dinners this year. Big Money Pavelski will be taking care of them now"

Jason Demers responds

"that's what you think couture hahaha"

So will little joe be Big Joe next year? I was looking at the roster in cap geek and it seems as if the Sharks are maybe in that do or re-tool next year mode. This is a huge season, all the pieces are in place. I think Pavelski is capable of being more than a 40pt player, but much depends on where he is played. A healthy Havlat is also key for success next season.

Sort of ironic that both Havlat and Heatley were both injured to avoid buyouts.

So will little joe be Big Joe next year? I was looking at the roster in cap geek and it seems as if the Sharks are maybe in that do or re-tool next year mode. This is a huge season, all the pieces are in place. I think Pavelski is capable of being more than a 40pt player, but much depends on where he is played. A healthy Havlat is also key for success next season.

Sort of ironic that both Havlat and Heatley were both injured to avoid buyouts.

I don't think so. Wilson, Thornton and Marleau all seem to think they will retire sharks. The cap i keep hearing different things about. Some say it will stay the same, and others insist it will likely wok its way up to 70 million next season. Even if it stays the same, Havlat is being bought out at the first opportunity(Nobody is happy with him) or we may trade him for future considerations if anyone wants him. Boyle is 36-37 and his contract is up. he will likely never get that kind of money again, and can be resigned at a lower price. Thornton and Marleau are both 33-34 and Thornton has always proven willing to take a discount and short terms. I think 6 million is the new cap for our forwards to be honest. Thornton and Marleau both want a cup, not money. Thornton has said as much in an interview.

Pavelski is already more than a 40 point player.

He is a regular 25-30 goal, 60 point player and seems to produce no matter who he plays with at ES(but has best results with the top line of Pavelski/Thornton/Marleau. That line is deadly). He plays in all situations and is a pointman on our PP. But he is also our top Pker. The past 2 seasons he has been a 2nd/3rd line center and occasionally jumps to the wing for Jumbo Joe and Marleau. This past season he played with Wingels and Torres. Well, he tends to hop all over every line occasionally. The coach makes everyone practice together so he can throw mishmass lines out. The season before last we saw a lot of Clowe/Pavelski/Wellwood/Mitchell/Setoguchi.

Couture is much the same. They juggle his linemates a lot, but he always comes through looking great. not the best skating in Couture, but his hockey IQ is amazing and makes up for it.

I suspect before long, we will hear that Jumbo is extended, and likely, Marleau as well. But not for more than 6 million a season.

Rofl. I did not realize until now just how many centers the Sharks have.

I think 10 centers must be the NHL record. Granted that is why we are such a good faceoff team. We cheat on faceoffs and if one guys gets thrown out, the next guy cheats on faceoffs and the refs rarely stop and throw the second guy out.

Thornton, Marleau, Pavelski, Couture, Kennedy, Burish, Sheppard, Wingels, Desjardins and Hertl are all natural centers.

@J0e Th0rnton

Well that makes sense, I wasn't aware that they would sign for a discount. Realistically the Sharks signing both Marleau and Thornton for around 4.5 - 5M for 3 years or so would be a good deal.

It would be an amazing deal to get them for 5 million, but we will see, depending on if the cap goes up again, and if we can unload Havlat. Realistically, I think Jumbo Joe gets 6 million again, and Marleau gets a bit less. Dan Boyle will be the guy taking a bigger paycut because he is 37 and visibly slowing down.

"We're the sum of all our parts," Wilson said. "The beauty of our team is when everybody brings something to the table and plays the way our coaching staff wants us to play, we can play with anybody. You talk about our core, when veteran guys like Joe and Patty and Danny encourage and support guys like [Pavelski] and Logan and [burns] and Marc-Edouard Vlasic and Justin Braun and Matt Irwin to not only take on more roles and accepting everybody has to bring leadership, it makes you a better hockey team. That's how we look at it. They like to see our younger players step up and do well, and that is the sign of a good team."

Well, Pavelski puts up a good deal of points considering he does most of it at ES, and more recently has been doing it on the third line checking opposing teams with little help. He also is the teams go to PK guy

Looking at the Market and recent signings.

Filppula is making 5 million. He has one 23 goal, 66 point season under his belt. Same age as Pavelski, but overall, usually a 40 point guy tops. He does not kill Penalties often.

Clarkson is making 5.25 million a year, and is a one time 30 goals scorer with a career high 46 points who does not kill penalties.

Jordan Staal makes 6 million for the next 10 years. His defensive play is roughly the same, but his offensive value is a wee bit less. He is the best comparison.

For all the extra things Pavs brings to the table, he could have tested the Market and possibly gotten more.

This made me laugh

Phew. Was worried I'd be on the hook for dinners this year. Big Money Pavelski will be taking care of them now????

— Logan Couture (@Logancouture)

July 30, 2013

"Phew. Was worried I'd be on the hook for dinners this year. Big Money Pavelski will be taking care of them now������������������������"

Jason Demers responds

"that's what you think couture hahaha"

I just don't think any if those guys are worth what they're getting. Like I said though... Inflation hits us all I suppose.

Rofl. I did not realize until now just how many centers the Sharks have.

I think 10 centers must be the NHL record. Granted that is why we are such a good faceoff team. We cheat on faceoffs and if one guys gets thrown out, the next guy cheats on faceoffs and the refs rarely stop and throw the second guy out.

Thornton, Marleau, Pavelski, Couture, Kennedy, Burish, Sheppard, Wingels, Desjardins and Hertl are all natural centers.

Some guys never play the role they are listed at. Kennedy is a prime example, he played six years for the Penguins, almost all as a right wing on the third line.

@J0e Th0rnton I forget, maybe you know, can you use the buy-out during the season? If so, I suspect Havlet will get bought out the second he is cleared by doctors. If it can only be done in the off season, who knows, that guy may be injured again next summer and will escape again...that would suck!!

I don't think that Pavelski is overpaid on this contract, but using Staal as an example of why doesn't really work. He's 6 years younger, is better defensively, and not really any worse offensively.

I don't think that Pavelski is overpaid on this contract, but using Staal as an example of why doesn't really work. He's 6 years younger, is better defensively, and not really any worse offensively.

ill concede that, Staal is a bit better defensively, but not by much. It was 2012 they finished close in votes for the Selke trophy(Staal finished 8th with 67 points, Pavelski 11th with 44 points). Staal has previous finishes that were higher than that, but lately, pavelski has closed the gap.

Offensively, They are close too. Pavelski does finish with 10-15 more points on average, but that is mostly because of PP time. He is just used in more situations.

The age definitely makes a difference, but that is why Staal is signed until 2023, While pavelski is only signed until 2018