Predicted Division Winners and Implicit Rankings for '13-'14

Howie58

Greetings All:

It is a slow time but reckoned this might generate some thinking. Here are the odds for division winner and most points.

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2013/8/29/4672438/nhl-odds-bruins-penguins-blackhawks-kings

The pundits seem to assign prohibitive odds to the Pens...that is something of a surprise.  They also see the Devils doing a tailspin.  We are in the middle of the pack...And my backyard Panthers continue to gather in the rays while slithering in the rankings.

Well, it is generally easy to predict that past is prologue. So there are no surprises here. But I would almost prefer entering with underdog status and surprise on the upside than be anointed as a team to beat.  

Best to all,

Howie

@Howie58

Hey howie, good topic, but I'm moving it to the "Around the NHL" forum to yield more discussion from members who are not just Flyer fans.

My picks for the division winners are:

Redwings

Rangers

Blues

Kings

Dear HF:

You are the King of the Board and trust your instincts. It's hard for me to figure out the West but the Kings are OK in my book.  I don't think the Blue Jackets were a fluke and believe they can be in the top 3. The Pens may take but will choke in Playoffs. Will agree with the bookies on Chicago. 

If the bookies are right, we are a marginal playoff club at best. I'd like to think we are better.

Best,

Howie

Some of these 'odds' are very 'odd', but they usually are..lol. 

My picks seem to fly in line with the article:

Kings  (we are no match for them. And we're just behind them in the odds? The Sharks 19/4..really? And they whooped our butts good in the 1st round last season!)

Hawks (I think this is no-brainer)

Penguins (though I'm rooting for the underdog Blue Jackets! Rangers, really? You guys think Vigneault's gonna be able to whip them into shape that fast? Maybe 1 more season with them, my guess)

Bruins (as much as I hate to say it! But them suckas are goin' down in the playoffs! But I'm thinking it will be a close one with the Red Wings for the division. In my perfect world, one of the Canadian teams will come out on top, maybe the Sens? Here's hoping! ;) )