Bernier or Reimer?

yave1964

One start each, a win for both of them. Reimer looked a bit hesitant in game one but after a shaky first period came on strong as the Leafs won 4-3 over the Habs. Bernier played a near flawless game against the Flyers, winning 3-1 against a talented club.

Very interesting problem Carlyle is facing. You don't give up Frattin and Scrivens and a pick for a guy to sit on your bench. My feeling is that Bernier is the better goalie of the two, Reimer DID net mind the club to the playoffs last season which carries some weight, but to me Bernier is the perfect goalie for this club. Last season they were outshot near every night and they need an acrobatic goalie to win, I believe that Bernier is the right goalie in the right place at the right time.

And off subject I know Marty Reasoner is laying on the scrap heap for a reason, but it would be cool if Toronto signed him for one day so an announcer could say on a bad pass from the goalie to him "No Reimer Reason (er). It sounded funnier in my head. Chris Berman I am not, lol.

Bernier looked WAY more ready than Reimer did. I said this in the box the other day, the Leafs are going to be a real team this year barring a rash of Flyer style injuries. Bernier is going to be one of the premiere goalies in the league this year.

Very early in the year, but Bernie's certainly making his case. I really like what I've seen from him so far. Reimer's been quite good himself, but Bernier's definitely be the better goalie thus far.

We probably won't be able to get a good feel for this until at least the halfway mark though.

A 4-0 shutout against the Preds tonite, the 7th of his career...looking really good so far in the Leafs' net, really exciting to watch him!  At age 25, his career on the rise in his prime.

(On the other hand, what the heck is happening to the elite goalies of the league? Pekka Rinne gives up 4 goals tonite, Henrik Lundqvist gives up 6!! (6-0 shutout for Ducks tonite)....whaaat?? Lundqvist has really not been looking himself lately!)   :o

A 4-0 shutout against the Preds tonite, the 7th of his career...looking really good so far in the Leafs' net, really exciting to watch him!  At age 25, his career on the rise in his prime.

(On the other hand, what the heck is happening to the elite goalies of the league? Pekka Rinne gives up 4 goals tonite, Henrik Lundqvist gives up 6!! (6-0 shutout for Ducks tonite)....whaaat?? Lundqvist has really not been looking himself lately!)   :o

In Rinne's defense, he let in 4 goals but he made some pretty awesome saves. I can't comment on King Henrik (didn't see the game).

I agree though, Bernier's been really fun to watch. Very calm back there and controls the game around him well. Hopefully he keeps up the good work.

Edited by Commander Clueless

Bernier has more talent and the team seems to have more confidence with him in net. He allows the club to move up ice with a little more security than Reimer. No brainer to me who should be in net.

There will be growing pains, like the high scoring game against the Oilers, but Bernier is the real deal. Riemer lets in at least one softie per game, it will be his undoing. Bernier is more positionally sound, and quite a lot faster. Still having trouble grasping the thought that the Leafs stole their goalie of the future for a mid round pick and Frattin....Flyers would NEVER get a break like that!!!

There will be growing pains, like the high scoring game against the Oilers, but Bernier is the real deal. Riemer lets in at least one softie per game, it will be his undoing. Bernier is more positionally sound, and quite a lot faster. Still having trouble grasping the thought that the Leafs stole their goalie of the future for a mid round pick and Frattin....Flyers would NEVER get a break like that!!!

The Flyers stole their goalie of the future for less than that...they signed him as a UFA. Of course management were too stupid, or impatient, or both to realize what they had and gave him away for basically about as much value as the Leafs traded. Good move.