Coming to Jesus Time folks...

murraycraven

Tough Schedule - Very Tough:  Looking at the next five games:   Detroit, Vancouver, Pitt, Rangers and Islanders there is a serious chance that we get swept through this run of games and end up w/ a 1-9 start to the season.   Not saying it is going to happen but it certainly is a very real possibility now that Vinny and Hartnell are out at least a week.

The Test:  a gigantic test for this Team and the new Coach.   The inability to score is beyond mind boggling and just downright ridiculous.   Honestly, I am embarrassed of this Team.  I commend the "passion" of the play in the past two games but there has to be a way to finish and put the puck in the net.  

The Captain:   Well, he played a decent game and seemed to have his legs under him.  For this Team to have the smallest chance of making the playoffs we need CG28 to play like "the best player in the world" over this stretch.   Someone is going to have to put the puck int he net and Vinny just went down.   IMO, Jake needs to be moved right to the top line along w/ CG28 and hope like hell some of the magic comes back.

Intangibles:  Simmonds, Read and Cooter need to start chipping on some goals for secondary scoring.   Kimmo needs to be taken off the # 1 PP unit and replace him w/ Streit.

Call-ups:   Who gets the call up(s) from the Phantoms?   I hope it is McGinn but can see Homie doing something different.  Whoever it is I hope they bring some heart to this team

Defense:  It is time to put Gus in the lineup.   Outside of Streit there is not a single defensive player that can skate the puck in transition.   Put the kid in and sit one of the pylons...

Predicton:   My prediction is based on what I have witnessed so far this season and I can't cheat myself into thinking something more than what I have watched.   This is the stretch from hell - The Flyers do not have the game to play w/ the likes of the Red Wings, Pens and Islanders right now...  Could this be the nail in the coffin for Ol' Homer?

On the bright side I am also predicting a good draft pick for next season - this Team is simply not good.

• Like 1

good post MC.

this Team is simply not good.

Obviously they're not playing well but if you meant the players aren't good then I guess I disagree. There's no real "stars" except Giroux (maybe, if he ever gets going again) but we've got good players - good enough anyway. No real world-beaters or anything but if they were playing well we'd all be pretty happy with them I bet.

But it's amazing, almost every one of them is playing like crap. Whether they're squeezing the sticks or trying to do too much I don't know - hard to name exactly what makes Grossmann or Talbot last night make SO many simple turnovers - and not even under pressure, just making a bad pass. Or when a Flyers' puck-carrier draws the double-team it's like suddenly the guy's brains just evaporate. I've never seen such clumsy, panicky playing with the puck last so long...game after game it doesn't seem to get better. 

Obviously it's still early in the season but my goodness if we don't find some composure, some kind of team work... you're right we could easily be 1-9 in a few weeks.

good post MC.

Obviously they're not playing well but if you meant the players aren't good then I guess I disagree. There's no real "stars" except Giroux (maybe, if he ever gets going again) but we've got good players - good enough anyway. No real world-beaters or anything but if they were playing well we'd all be pretty happy with them I bet.

But it's amazing, almost every one of them is playing like crap. Whether they're squeezing the sticks or trying to do too much I don't know - hard to name exactly what makes Grossmann or Talbot last night make SO many simple turnovers - and not even under pressure, just making a bad pass. Or when a Flyers' puck-carrier draws the double-team it's like suddenly the guy's brains just evaporate. I've never seen such clumsy, panicky playing with the puck last so long...game after game it doesn't seem to get better. 

Obviously it's still early in the season but my goodness if we don't find some composure, some kind of team work... you're right we could easily be 1-9 in a few weeks.

Canoli, I agree for the most part.   As you stated this Team has no world-beaters on the ice.   I think when you look around the league all of the elite teams have at least 1 or 2 of these players.   I think Giroux is a special player but I also think he is neutralized easily.  

The turnover issue is what has been driving me to drink!  I have never seen a Team that turns over the puck more than this group.  I guess I just have no faith right now and as much as I dislike vinny's contract he was one of the best forwards on this Team.   It is tought to watch...

I hope I am wrong but truly have no faith w/ this group...

But it's amazing, almost every one of them is playing like crap.

I blame the team bonding trip. Something must have happened in Lake Placid..................................................................

Just thinking back to when Stevens was fired and Lavi was brought in, it took about 10 games for the boys to come together. With a lackluster training camp then the coaching change, I expect the same kind of thing to happen now.

good point. No reason to expect it to come together right away. If anything the Flyers are more out of whack now than they were back then. I just was hoping for a miracle turnaround I guess....unfortunately the trouble runs pretty deep it seems.

good point. No reason to expect it to come together right away. If anything the Flyers are more out of whack now than they were back then. I just was hoping for a miracle turnaround I guess....unfortunately the trouble runs pretty deep it seems.

I think it would be tough for us to turn it around this quickly.  Everything is such a mess right now that it will take time.   But the one luxury the Flyers do not have is time.   If they skate out to a 1-9 start they will not be able to recover.   Not the way the alignment has changed things and who we are competing w/ for a playoff spot.  

Just thinking back to when Stevens was fired and Lavi was brought in, it took about 10 games for the boys to come together. With a lackluster training camp then the coaching change, I expect the same kind of thing to happen now.

I agree. Maybe longer as injuries are starting up all****ingready.

I'd scratch Timonen tonight and use Gus.

I agree. Maybe longer as injuries are starting up all****ingready.

I'd scratch Timonen tonight and use Gus.

I love Kimmo but I would consider this as well...    Honestly, if I am Homer and there is a Team that wants a tried and true defensman I would look to move Kimmo... send him to a contender and let Gus in the lineup.

But it's amazing, almost every one of them is playing like crap.

That's what I don't understand, either. Clearly, they are not playing like a team. And while there are no superstars on the team, as you noted except G, on papers these are still good players. Simmonds, Voracek, Read, Schenn brothers, Talbot... there is no shortage of talent. But they are not clicking. And that would not be too worrisome to me as I would be trying to tell myself that there is plenty of time and as soon as Berube finds the right combinations, the rest would take care of itself. But the problem is, they really are playing like a bunch of individuals and there is no semblance of a team.

Their play very much reminds me of the last year of Richards and Carter era. If you recall, we were lamenting the visible issues and suspected some locker room problems. And in the off-season, we all know what ensued - Homer basically overhauled the team. So what we suspected (rotten locker room) seemed to confirmed.  I am not suggesting there *are* issues with this locker room right at this moment, but I am just trying to find answers to this evident lack of passion and commitment to a team concept…  Just like 3 years ago, the players don’t seem to have any interest in playing for each other. And  that’s what I am finding more disconcerting than anything.

• Like 1

That's what I don't understand, either. Clearly, they are not playing like a team. And while there are no superstars on the team, as you noted except G, on papers these are still good players. Simmonds, Voracek, Read, Schenn brothers, Talbot... there is no shortage of talent. But they are not clicking. And that would not be too worrisome to me as I would be trying to tell myself that there is plenty of time and as soon as Berube finds the right combinations, the rest would take care of itself. But the problem is, they really are playing like a bunch of individuals and there is no semblance of a team.

Their play very much reminds me of the last year of Richards and Carter era. If you recall, we were lamenting the visible issues and suspected some locker room problems. And in the off-season, we all know what ensued - Homer basically overhauled the team. So what we suspected (rotten locker room) seemed to confirmed.  I am not suggesting there *are* issues with this locker room right at this moment, but I am just trying to find answers to this evident lack of passion and commitment to a team concept…  Just like 3 years ago, the players don’t seem to have any interest in playing for each other. And  that’s what I am finding more disconcerting than anything.

MD... I think anything at this point is on the table in terms of speculation.  Who knows maybe there are issues in the room

what the hell could they be though (issues in the room)? Are they sorry Bryzgalov is gone lol? Seriously what the hell is wrong with these guys?

I realize it takes time for teams to gel; and a team is only as good as its weakest link. And you can cover for certain weaknesses but there's no covering when a team is in complete and total disarray. Look at our numbers 5 on 5; not just the few games this season but last year too.

I don't know how it happened but it looks like individually, to a man (except Vinny who's got so much experience and Rinaldo who's 1-dimensional) they've lost their brains. There's just no plan out there - I don't mean "overall game plan" I'm talking about coming up ice...if they stick close and try short passes the puck-carrier misses his target; if they spread out and try to split the D the passing gets even worse. If they try skating in with speed invariably the puck-carrier gets double-teamed and loses possession. If they dump it deep they almost never get it back because either the dump is weak, in the wrong spot or guys are too slow retrieving the puck.

It's a mess.

There was the rift in the Lindros room. Then the rebellion against Barber. Then Hitch "lost the room." Then Stevens. Then crater and Richards had a rift and were traded. Now we have this.

Different coaches and players, same result.

"Culture of winning?"

good post MC.

Perfectly said there Canoli

no prob MD I understood that - and I guess we're all looking for answers at this point.

Meltzer makes some positive observations in his latest blog post  - he sees a few areas that've gotten better since the game vs. the Habs.

check it out:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?blogger_id=45#.Ull6zxCIR8E

@ everybody

Please understand the locker room issues are a pure conjecture on my part. It could very well be something totally different. But I think we can all agree this team is acting anything BUT team-like.

There were immediate rumors of "room issues" and guys apparently deciding not to listen to their coach. And rifts within the room causing problems with team unity.

Probably because of the long history of such behavior being tolerated - and rewarded - in this culture of winning.

But I was repeatedly and confidently assured (not necessarily by you MD) last season by people who claimed that the only possible explanation for the way this team looked like a monkey trying to hump a football was because of the goaltender.

And so it goes.

it'll be real interesting to hear - if we ever do - exactly WTF has been going on this season.

AlaskaFF probably nailed it when he said it's going to take time to adjust to Berube. The Flyers have been playing lousy for (what's become) a Long Time now and we can't expect an instant turnaround I guess. I just hope one is in their near future though... jeez...because this Keystone Cops act is frkkn boring.