Flyers in Possible Trade Talk With Edmonton/Buffalo

Apparently this guy doesn't have a great track record but I figured I'd post it since there isn't a lot to talk about other than this team being bad.

Via Rich Smith (@ALLsportsINTEL):

NHL - Flyers source reporting that Couturier, Coburn, Laughton, Meszaros and Simmonds are names that are currently being shopped.
Source - Flyers involved in trade talks with Sabres for Vanek, Flyers reportedly offering Couturier, Coburn and a 2nd rd pick.
BREAKING NHL UPDATE - Source - Flyers and Oilers discussing blockbuster deal that would send Nail Yakupov and Hemsky to Flyers.
Names being discussed as players of interest for Oilers from Flyers Simmonds, Couturier, Laughton, Cousins and Coburn.
Oilers reportedly would want Simmonds, Coburn and either Couturier or Laughton for Nail Yakupov and Hemsky.

I definitely would not want Hemsky. He's talented but we've had enough disappearing acts on our team recently. Not sure how I feel about Yakupov. Some people have questioned his work ethic but I don't know too much about him

I'm not all for trading Couturier though. Sure, he hasn't looked great like the former #1 prospect he was "should" look but he's only the same age as me and has played on the 3rd/4th line his whole time in Philly. I also love the heart Simmonds brings to the team and he's a pretty good player.

No to Vanek, maybe the EDM deal. You never know if guys are under performing because it's Edmonton. And isn't Nail a sniper? I don't remember his scouting report, but if so, I'd entertain talks about Couturier. Maybe Homer could get an extra pick for this season too?

Unloading Coburn kinda sucks, but Gus is ready and it helps the cap situation short and long term (Mesz on last year of his contract).

Yakupov has been a healthy scratch two games in a row now.

That's because he's a skilled sniper being played on the third line expected to be a shutdown player. He was doing terrible at it and said it wasn't the role he wanted to play because that's not his game.

This dude has never predicted anything that was spot on... The Oilers need a goaltender and that is something we don't have.

As I said to hf... If this does happen and the Flyers trade Simmonds I am done with this team. Done.

Is there a thread over there about this? I couldn't find one.

Edited by PHI Flyers10

Polaris... I think he is being sent a message. In all seriousness would you do the trade? Imo I would leave Simmonds out of any trade talk but would consider it if you can add someone else to the deal....

Coburn, Cooter and a 3rd enough to get it done?

I dunno... I don't think as much if Simmonds as many Flyers fans do. Yakupov has great talent, but is he motivated to use it game in and game out?

I don't know if this trade would matter. The Flyers need a major shakeup . I'm not sure Laviolette was the problem, and the real issue (Holmgren) doesn't appear to be going anywhere soon.

• Like 1

I dunno if I trade anyone just yet.  Granted this team is going nowhere fast.  If Homer makes a move it will be out of shear panic and desperation, which is his M.O.

I don't know enough about Yakupov and Hemsky to make an honest comment.  I just don't follow the Oilers.

Vanek is an interesting name.  Weren't the Flyers trying to go after him a year or two ago?  I think the Sabres might want a kings ransom for him.

I wouldn't trade simmonds for anything. We wouldn't survive against Boston in a playoff series. Only power forward would be harts. No thx. Stick with what we got. If we suck for another year so be it. Stay young and get young talent and keep our good players. Coots I'm not sure I wanna give up on right now. But I think schenn would be much better at center then wing. So maybe coots and a pick for nail. Swing a dman for something else. But raffi looked good so far so I'm not to sure what I move a dman for at this point.

Is there a thread over there about this? I couldn't find one.

Nope.  There was a short discussion in the shoutbox.  

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/14/yakupov-will-be-a-healthy-scratch-again-monday/

btw, I'm moving this thread to "Rumors and Trades" forums since other teams fans may also have interest.

Vanek sounds nice and could be a legit scorer to play with Giroux but I wouldn't want to give up too much for him. I wouldn't want it to turn into a Rick Nash situation where you give up a lot of heart from the team for a star player. 

Like I said, no to Hemsky. He seems like a Zherdev type of player from what I've read on him from Oilers fans. Yakupov is really the interesting piece and I think he could be really great but the whole Russian thing and work ethic questioning make me wonder if it would be worth making the trade. It could go amazingly for the Flyers but it could also backfire horribly.

I'll be okay if this is all a bunch of BS (which it seems like it is) but I do think a major shakeup may be coming in some shape or form.

Allow me to add my two-cents to this.

Vanek is a free agent this summer. He has already expressed interested in  going to the Wild. So here is the scenario, the Flyers trade Couturier, Coburn and a 2nd (or whatever the rumor is) for a guy that will create a bidding war this Summer only to:

A) have Holmgren sign him to a ridiculous contract

B) sign elsewhere and leave Holmgren scrambling to pick up the pieces (Matt Carle says hi) 

On the other side of the trade rumor we have Ales Hemsky a guy who is making 5.5 mm a year and also becomes a free agent this summer. His numbers have dropped off the cliff over the past few years. Than there is Nail Yukupov in the mix. A very intriguing name to be tossed into the mix and one that surely will return to Russia should he not get the contract he wants next summer. This, as intriguing as it sounds, should be avoided at all costs. 

The only way I make that deal is if Edmonton is willing to take salary back the other way. Meaning, somehow someway Hartnell agrees to waive his contract clauses and he goes the other way. 

In the end this is not what the team needs.

Edited by Bertmega

Apparently this guy doesn't have a great track record but I figured I'd post it since there isn't a lot to talk about other than this team being bad.

Via Rich Smith (@ALLsportsINTEL):

This is guy is about as knowledgable at trades as Buttman is at Commissioning

Bert.... I like Vanek but it would have to come (the trade) w/ an extnsion.   Vanek, G and Jake would be incredible but I dont think the Flyers are going to go this route.   The proposed Oilers trade does make sense for bith parties but Rick Smith is terrible and generally throws **** at the wall - like Ek.

If the Oilers want Simmonds I would kill the deal.  No way am I giving up Simmonds in a trade.   If they happen to make the trade it would autmoatically make us a very small group of forwards and outside of Hartnell and Rinaldo way too soft up front.  

@murraycraven

Agreed with Simmonds. He would have to stay off the table. I fear the Edmonton trade for the shear fact that Nail would probably go to Russia after his rookie contract is up. And the Flyers just do not have to $$ to sign him in 2015. At least not without shedding some serious $$ elsewhere. 

@murraycraven

Laughton is currently ripping up the OHL and he's has more potential than Coots and Schenn in my opinion. We're going to need a young, fast and nifty skater next year or even the year after. Trading him instead of being patient would be another classic "we must win now" mentality. We have to be patient. 

• Like 1