Flyers in Possible Trade Talk With Edmonton/Buffalo

In all honesty, this trading scenario for Philly is getting messy. Hopefully they get a high draft pick next year and make some good use of it. And if they do get a player don't wait a year and trade him away because he isn't producing 50 goals in a season as a rookie. Gotta give them time mature and get into the swing before they get to putting up good numbers most of the time. I agree with iban3z though, it would be another classic "we need a cup now" mentality that hasn't produced squat. Honestly, until management starts seeing the franchise as needing to be rebuilt over a period of a few years instead of always trying to win it within the current year without planning then not much is going to change.

Edited by TretiakCCCP20

@PHI FLyers 10

I think somethings up with Sabres lost last night & 0-6 might want to trade their trash for our trash and hope something sticks but I believe the Buffalo & Edmonton would like to deal because they both underachieve so far like flyers.

Edited by hf101
changed from topic to post

I would trade anyone on this team, just as long I can get back a head case with skill that I can help fix his head

Simmonds is a grinder dime a dozen and sorry Coots stinks doesn't show anything at all, I do the Oilers deal if true

But I take back Perron instead of Hemsky and no one on Flyers is UNTOUCHABLE not even CG28

Ok they loose 5 games out of an 82 games season and the above "expert" is saying hopefully they get a high pick? As in the season is over for them? Right. I know it is bleak for the squad now, but I have full faith and confidence that they will contenders by the Olympic Break.

They'll turn it around and still make the playoffs. It's a loooooooooooooooooooooooong season. 

Besides both trade rumors are about as appetizing as the three week guacamole that I just threw out. 

Another thing, rebuild? They have a young talented squad not a bunch of old stiffs like the 2006-07 team. There is a huge difference right there. They just need to click.

Allow me to add my two-cents to this.

Vanek is a free agent this summer. He has already expressed interested in  going to the Wild. So here is the scenario, the Flyers trade Couturier, Coburn and a 2nd (or whatever the rumor is) for a guy that will create a bidding war this Summer only to:

A) have Holmgren sign him to a ridiculous contract

B) sign elsewhere and leave Holmgren scrambling to pick up the pieces (Matt Carle says hi) 

On the other side of the trade rumor we have Ales Hemsky a guy who is making 5.5 mm a year and also becomes a free agent this summer. His numbers have dropped off the cliff over the past few years. Than there is Nail Yukupov in the mix. A very intriguing name to be tossed into the mix and one that surely will return to Russia should he not get the contract he wants next summer. This, as intriguing as it sounds, should be avoided at all costs. 

The only way I make that deal is if Edmonton is willing to take salary back the other way. Meaning, somehow someway Hartnell agrees to waive his contract clauses and he goes the other way. 

In the end this is not what the team needs.

bert i agree in not trading young talent under contract for a few more seasons for 2 good but not superstars in there walk year..knowing homer he'll throw in 3 firsts in addition...hate this trade proposal

• Like 1

When you're trying to develop stability and cohesion among your unit, I can't imagine all these trade rumors, BS or otherwise, flying around add anything to accomplishing that goal.  It can only detract.  It's not good whatever happens.

Does something need to be done with this team?  Probably.  Yes.  But is "trade everyone now" the answer?  The organization sure didn't waste any time in blowing things up - or at least creating a situation that leads to the perpetuation of these type of rumors.

Sell sell sell.

I don't think this team is going to be able to do anything. One trade is not going to fix anything. We need to get some youth in there and sorry but guys like Timmo, Vinny, Streit, Hartnell, etc have to go.

Its too much money wrapped up in over the hill players.

If Simmonds is in these talks, the return better be legit, not promise or projections. Big tough guys that skate and score and stick up for teammates are damn near impossible to find in this league. I would be disgusted to see Hartnell as the only presence in front of the net on the pp, that is cutting things to thin for my liking. It's not like this team has an identity, but trading Simmonds would make them even less identifiable.

Please hang with me, an outsiders perspective.

I do not for the life of me understand how two teams, the Rangers and Flyers could be this BAD. I mean on paper both are ridiculously talented, well balanced clubs, albeit with flaws. Both could and should be anywhere from a four to a ten seed, with odds on that they are playoff teams. Both have glaring weaknesses but less than most mid level Eastern conference teams.

The Rangers are just a mess, 25 goals against in 5 games (read that carefully) with King Henrik in net. Nash, Richards, Callahan a solid Defense, is this proof that Torts is the greatest coach in the history of the game?

The Flyers have 10 goals in 7 games (read THAT carefully). I do not care who is in the net, Mason has been okay, no team in the game ever ever ever will win with 1.4 goals a game. With Giroux, Jake, Simmonds, Read, Couts, ect.... it is inexcusable.

If I had to pick one of them to right the ship and turn it around, it would have to be the Flyers. Giroux will regain his form, Hartnell and Vinnie will be reinforcements, Laughton can be called up for offense, they have the pieces to get the offense going.

Changing coaches was the right call, a shakeup on the roster is needed too. Complacency seems to have settled in with the Flyer personal and a big move to let them all know results are expected would be a good move. The one thing they seem to be missing, and keep in mind I have only watched about 7 periods of Flyer hockey this year, but they seem to be missing HEART.

The Rangers seem out of sorts cohesion wise. The Flyers seem to be out of sorts heart wise. Berube could and should be able to fix that, but a trade of a big boy would be a good idea for them. As for the Rangers I feel the opposite, they need to let their talent settle and get used to the new system.

• Like 1