Don Cherry, Hall of Famer?

yave1964

Bobby Orr is on record as saying that Don Cherry belongs in the Hall."Is there anyone bigger than Don Cherry in our game today? It's incredible what this man does," Orr said in an interview with The Canadian Press. "People have no idea. They think Don's this big rough, gruff guy. He's paid to give an opinion. Like him or dislike him, when he comes on, everybody, they listen."

Bobby Orr has earned the right to speak his mind, his opinion absolutely should carry a ton of weight.

I am of two minds, I LOVE Cherry the caricature of himself, his outlandish clothing and even more outlandish thinking. His comments about Europeans are controversial but mostly true, not many can get away with saying the things he says, though they are a lot of the things we all think.

A career minor leaguer, one game played in the NHL. His coaching career really was not much, never made it past the brick wall that was the 1970's Canadiens. Coached the Rockies, earning some great rubber chicken circuit stories about Merlin Malinoski and Hardy Astram.

The man is an ambassador to the game unparalleled. Hall of Famer? I guess I never thought about it before but if Bobby Orr says so, that carries a lot of weight. Yes, Don Cherry in the builder category belongs in the Hall. Thank you to Orr for pointing out this one that slipped under the radar. And I would love to be there for his induction speech.

I really like Don Cherry.  He's done as much as anyone to promote hockey.  In person, he's as gracious as they come.  I've seen him wat, smiling, while fans fumble with cameras.  Sometimes people get angry with his opinions.  But, IMHO, his style is more important than the content of his rant.  He's a cash cow for HNIC.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

(Spoiler Alert: I can't stand him.)

No. The panache and his need to be controversial overshadow his hockey knowledged. Take those away and he's just another member of the media.

He would have to go in as a "Builder" and in looking at the names on that list there is no way Cherry is in their class.

If Cherry gets in before guys like Red Fisher or any number of media members who have won the Foster Hewitt Award (Cherry has not - says alot to me) then it would be a travesty.

If Cherry gets in before guys like Red Fisher

I think Don Cherry goes in first.  He was (and still is) a participant in hockey.  Red, on the other hand, was a reporter. 

Having said that, I have respect for Red Fisher.  One reason is that he never cited rookies, either good or bad, in his column. 

One of the other reasons is personal.  One of my kids considered sports writing as a career when he was a teenager.  He asked my advice, and one of my suggestions was to ask Red Fisher.  So, he as a 15 year-old kid wrote to Red Fisher at the Montreal Gazette.   To my surprise, Fisher responded to his letter within a few days.  

It was a thoughtful, helpful, kind answer.  He didn't have to write back, but he made the effort to help. 

Despite his kinda crabby exterior.  He's one of the good guys.

I think Don Cherry goes in first.  He was (and still is) a participant in hockey.  Red, on the other hand, was a reporter. 

Having said that, I have respect for Red Fisher.  One reason is that he never cited rookies, either good or bad, in his column. 

One of the other reasons is personal.  One of my kids considered sports writing as a career when he was a teenager.  He asked my advice, and one of my suggestions was to ask Red Fisher.  So, he as a 15 year-old kid wrote to Red Fisher at the Montreal Gazette.   To my surprise, Fisher responded to his letter within a few days.  

It was a thoughtful, helpful, kind answer.  He didn't have to write back, but he made the effort to help. 

Despite his kinda crabby exterior.  He's one of the good guys.

Fisher did it with talent. Cherry does it with bad blazers and controversial comments.  I'll take the former every time.

I doubt Cherry ever makes it.  If Fisher was going to get in, it would have happened by now.  I think the Hall considers the Foster Hewitt Award a pseudo-admittance for members of the media.