Vanek Traded to Islanders

hf101

That is mind-boggling from the Isles point of view.

First, I actually don't think it's that big an upgrade from Moulson to Vanek.   The past couple years, their numbers are similar and Moulson is three years younger.

Then you're adding a first and a second round pick to it?

That's a horrible, HORRIBLE, deal even if Vanek is signing an extension with the Isles.  If he's not, that might be the worst trade in the history of the NHL.

• Like 1

I don't get this from a Islanders point of view.  Vanek is pretty much going to Minnesota in July unless he's blown away by playing with Tavares.  Also Moulson and Vanek are almost = in production.  Then for the Sabres to get a 1st and 2nd is robbery.  Not to mention if Moulson has no interest in an extension he can flipped for more picks/prospects at the deadline.  Darcy saves his job again with a trade.

• Like 1

I don't get this from a Islanders point of view.  Vanek is pretty much going to Minnesota in July unless he's blown away by playing with Tavares.  Also Moulson and Vanek are almost = in production.  Then for the Sabres to get a 1st and 2nd is robbery.  Not to mention if Moulson has no interest in an extension he can flipped for more picks/prospects at the deadline.  Darcy saves his job again with a trade.

Thank you.  That's pretty much exactly how I see it.   Somehow you were able to fit into about 70 less sentences, though.

If I'm thinking this from Snow's POV, maybe he is disappointed in the start his team has this season.  The team financially needs to make the playoffs.  Sell the future to make that happen??   He could be thinking Vanek will provide more production than Moulson.  And he also could be thinking that Vanek hasn't committed to anywhere next year.  Grabner and Vanek are also both Austrians.  Maybe for the right price Vanek will sign on the Island.

He will be with Minny by next year.  He will not want to play for the Islanders.  He is probably sick right now.  Counting the days til summer when he can escape

I have no way of knowing what "Vanek" really wants.  He is also friends with Grabner.  The Islanders will play in Brooklyn next year which will be much better than on the Island.  And Tavares is a talented hockey player, Vanek never really had that "star" center in Buffalo, he may just like it there.

Strange deal. Can't see Vanek staying unless, as mentioned, he loves playing with Tavares (it could happen). Isles give up the guy who rides shotgun and 2 good picks? If they lose Vanek they've just taken a big step backwards. Maybe Snow is looking ahead....at Connor McDavid. Buffalo definately is.

Weird one. I guess Snow was looking for a boost.

I'm not surprised Buffalo moved Vanek, but I am a bit surprised they moved him now. I thought for sure we'd see a blockbuster deadline deal.

An upgrade for the Isles, but at a steep price and risk I think. If they can't get Vanek signed this looks pretty bad going into the offseason (barring some miracle cup run of course).

Solid return for Buffalo.

• Like 1

A lot of people will look at Vanek's and Moulson's numbers and come up with the conclusion that they are basically equal. While that is true, there are some underlying factors. The stunning fact is, all of Moulson's goals (except for 2) in the last 2 years have come with Tavares on this ice. He's the kind of guy who really needs a star center to set him up. He rarely creates offense on his own, he is dependent on having an elite center to feed him the puck. Of course, he will be playing with Cody in Buffalo, who is young and getting better with each game, but he's no Tavares.....so I anticipate a drop in production when he hit's Buffalo.

From a Islander perspective, John is not really a set up guy, he's a pure sniper, and Vanek's hockey sense should provide Tavares with a lot more scoring opportunities. Even though Vanek and Moulson have basically equal stats, Vanek can create more, has much better hockey sense and plays with a lot more of a physical edge than the rather soft Moulson could ever muster. Basically, the Islanders became tougher to play against with this trade.

Even taking into account these factors, I'm still puzzled at the draft picks given up, especially the first rounder. It does not make much sense, seems to me, the Islanders could have done much better shopping Moulson and a first and a second as a package, perhaps even a legit goalie would be coming back, which they have not had in years and years. Of course, the real problem is the pending free agent status of Vanek, giving up all that and having him bolt would be catastrophic. I'm thinking Snow had initial talks with Vaneks agent before pulling the trigger, and I think he will be signing long term with the Isles. 

From a Sabres perspective, this is the type of deal I've been advocating for them for years now. They need to start a full rebuild, this trade looks like that has begun in earnest, which is a great thing for long suffering Sabres fans, who are among the most loyal group in the whole NHL. At least they have something to look forward now, some type of a plan seems to be forming. Now, they need to get maximum value for Miller, which may be tough.

That's impossible. He's gonna suck without Tavares.

Sabres fans will tell you that Steve Bernier scored two in his debut and then one in the next 16 games.

Fewer will know that Moulson has been a 30-goal scorer for the past four seasons while the only time Bernier scored more than 15 in a season is when he had his three goals for Buffalo.

He finished with 16.

The team financially needs to make the playoffs.  Sell the future to make that happen??

Isles have been collecting young talent for years now.  From the stuff I've read, they have a bunch of young players just waiting to get a shot at the big club.