CBS praises Regier and Buffalo's plan but Buffalo News says

Buffalo Rick

CBS sportsline has the Sabres all over their front page and they are saying Darcy is doing the right thing.  The Buffalo news agrees to a point but they say its not enough to make up for Darcy's past failure.  I do not know.  What sense does it really make to fire him now?  None.  The coach?  He seems to have them playing and focused and that is all you can ask of him.   Its way too early to cast judgement on whether this is all going to work.  I think it has to work to a degree.  After all, they have accumalated a bunch of young talent and there is only one way they can go, up.  The question becomes, what is their timetable? I would give Darcy until next season, lets sayThanksgiving of 2014 and see if things start to pay off.  I am not sure about Rolston.  If Darcy is able to land some star talent with all of these picks, does he keep Rolston around to run the ship?  It most likely depends on whether they are still listening and working hard later in this dreadfull fiasco of a season

I'd fire Darcy just for hiring the joke behind the bench. They're going nowhere with him

He is unlikely to be around once Darcy finishes the job putting the pieces of the puzzle in place.  It may take until next year or the draft in 2015 to complete the project and while its going on, guys like Ott and Cody can teach the young guys plenty.  Armeia will be back too.  

I do not need a Lexus.  I have a brand new Equinox.  We picked it up a few weeks ago.  Loaded. 

He is unlikely to be around once Darcy finishes the job putting the pieces of the puzzle in place.  It may take until next year or the draft in 2015 to complete the project and while its going on, guys like Ott and Cody can teach the young guys plenty.  Armeia will be back too.  

I do not need a Lexus.  I have a brand new Equinox.  We picked it up a few weeks ago.  Loaded. 

My wife had an Equinox and loved it.   The head gasket went on it and we dumped it, but it, too, was loaded and she loved it.   My friend also has had an Equinox for several years and loves it.   (the head gasket thing was NOT a negative comment on an Equinox.  Trust me, there could be a lot of 999 perfect cars and 1 lemon.  She will be sure to get the lemon).   (the Lexus comment was in reference to something that was before your time on the boards.  Not intended for you specifically)

In advance of your "b..b..b..but the Flyers" I'll tell you I'm not thrilled with Berube.  At all.

But I don't like your coach.  (I didn't like Ruff, either).  I don't think your team is disciplined; I don't think it has much of a plan on the ice; and I think your coach is bush league.   The Sabres as currently constituted wouldn't win with Al Arbour or Scotty Bowman behind the bench, but they have decent pieces coming up and some picks that will hopefully pan out.   They have the wrong coach for this.

let's review Darcy's #1 picks, shall we?

1997 - 21 - Mika Noronen - 71 NHL games, 1 point

1998 - 18 - Dmitri Kalinin - 539 NHL games, 162 points

1999 - 20 - Barrett Heisten - 10 NHL games, 0 points

2000 - 15 - Artem Kryukov - 0 NHL games, 0 points

2001 - 22 - Jiri Novotny - 189 NHL games, 59 points

2002 - 11 - Keith Ballard - 551 NHL games, 166 points

2003 - 05 - Thomas Vanek - 599 NHL games, 497 points

2004 - 13 - Drew Stafford - 457 NHL games, 267 points

2005 - 13 - Marek Zagrapan - 0 NHL games, 0 points

2006 - 24 - Dennis Persson - 0 NHL games, 0 points

2008 - 12 - Tyler Myers - 270 NHL games, 119 points

2008 - 26 - Tyler Ennis - 201 NHL games, 126 points

2009 - 13 - Zack Kassian - 92 NHL games, 23 points

2010 - 23 - Mark Pysyk - 33 NHL games, 6 points

2011 - 16 - Joel Armia - 0 NHL games, 0 points

2012 - 14 - Zemgus Girgensons - 13 NHL games, 3 points

2012 - 12 - Mikhail Grigorenko - 37 NHL games, 6 points

2013 - 08 - Rasmus Ristolanian

2013 - 16 - Nikita Zadorov

So, you know, good luck with that. More than 1 in 4 is an outright, no question bust.

To be fair, I do think there are some good picks in there. Blind squirrells do find nuts and stopped clocks are actually right twice a day.

Oh, and just BTW - I've been saying "fire Homer" for a year and a half.

B-b-b-b-b-b-but The Flyers!!

guys like Ott and Cody can teach the young guys plenty

I like Ott.  But, he has a bad habit of sometimes taking his own sweet time getting off the ice at the end of a shift.   I dunno why Rolston permits that. 

I like Ott.  But, he has a bad habit of sometimes taking his own sweet time getting off the ice at the end of a shift.   I dunno why Rolston permits that. 

What choice does he have.  He is lucky to have a job.  He is far more expendable than Steve Ott.  Who do you think the boss is?  It isn't Rolston

Who do you think the boss is? It isn't Rolston

Ya think?

I've watched as many Buffalo games as I could this year.  Lots of guys watching the play instead of digging for the puck.  And, more often than not, it's the older players who are guilty. 

Ya think?

I've watched as many Buffalo games as I could this year.  Lots of guys watching the play instead of digging for the puck.  And, more often than not, it's the older players who are guilty. 

There are not too many older players left.  They have the youngest team in the league.  And Rolston I doubt is going to be part of the long range plan anyways

Ya think?

PS Blocker, I think you had best turn the Sabres and Flyers off for the rest of the year.  

There are not too many older players left.  They have the youngest team in the league.  And Rolston I doubt is going to be part of the long range plan anyways

Umm...no. The Sabres are tied for 13th youngest, right in the middle of the pack.

http://mirtle.blogspot.ca/2013/01/2013-nhl-teams-by-weight-height-and-age.html

Umm...no. The Sabres are tied for 13th youngest, right in the middle of the pack.

http://mirtle.blogspot.ca/2013/01/2013-nhl-teams-by-weight-height-and-age.html

They said it right on national tv last week.   And we have gotten younger since now that Vanek is gone.  We are tied with some other team for the youngest.  Period.  We will be the youngest by far after this year I assure you.  And who is the guy that told me last night the Flyers are better than us?  Gee, I just looked at the score board and cringed.   Time to admit we  are both screwed this year.  Big time.  Question is, who gets fired first, Holmgren or Regier.  I think Regier is likely safe.  After tonight, I expect some heads to roll in Philly.  i am not allowed in your forum.  So if you are going to come here and tell me the Sabres are not as good as the Flyers, I have to respond to that nonsense.  They both are in terrible shape right now.  Its a question of which team will win the next game this month.  I never dreamed either team could be this bad with the players they have.  Its beyond belief

@Hockey Junkie  oh, my bad Rick, that chart is from Jan of 2013, thought it was this season. You may be right. My bad.

The truth is, both teams suck. Your team is probably in a better spot cause they don't have a ton of NMC/NTC clauses tying up the cap for years and years to come.

let's review Darcy's #1 picks, shall we?

1997 - 21 - Mika Noronen - 71 NHL games, 1 point

1998 - 18 - Dmitri Kalinin - 539 NHL games, 162 points

1999 - 20 - Barrett Heisten - 10 NHL games, 0 points

2000 - 15 - Artem Kryukov - 0 NHL games, 0 points

2001 - 22 - Jiri Novotny - 189 NHL games, 59 points

2002 - 11 - Keith Ballard - 551 NHL games, 166 points

2003 - 05 - Thomas Vanek - 599 NHL games, 497 points

2004 - 13 - Drew Stafford - 457 NHL games, 267 points

2005 - 13 - Marek Zagrapan - 0 NHL games, 0 points

2006 - 24 - Dennis Persson - 0 NHL games, 0 points

2008 - 12 - Tyler Myers - 270 NHL games, 119 points

2008 - 26 - Tyler Ennis - 201 NHL games, 126 points

2009 - 13 - Zack Kassian - 92 NHL games, 23 points

2010 - 23 - Mark Pysyk - 33 NHL games, 6 points

2011 - 16 - Joel Armia - 0 NHL games, 0 points

2012 - 14 - Zemgus Girgensons - 13 NHL games, 3 points

2012 - 12 - Mikhail Grigorenko - 37 NHL games, 6 points

2013 - 08 - Rasmus Ristolanian

2013 - 16 - Nikita Zadorov

So, you know, good luck with that. More than 1 in 4 is an outright, no question bust.

To be fair, I do think there are some good picks in there. Blind squirrells do find nuts and stopped clocks are actually right twice a day.

Oh, and just BTW - I've been saying "fire Homer" for a year and a half.

B-b-b-b-b-b-but The Flyers!!

Do not forget we have 12 first and second round picks in the next two drafts.  I do not know why you put Vanek on that list.  Did he do something wrong?  Armia, Girgensons, Zadorov, will all be good.  You cannot judge a guy that has not played a game.  And you listed at leat 4 guys that are no longer with Buffalo.  You are all over the damn place.   Why dont you go take a look at your teams roster.