Favorite hockey announcers' lines

Chicago Hawkie

What are some of the funniest or most notable lines that your hockey broadcasters say?

I'll begin with Blackhawks broadcaster Pat Foley saying that tonights' Hawks-Flames game will be "one of those great six o'clock starts" and that Blackhawks Postgame Live will start "Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeemmediately" after the game (The spelling error was for effect - that's how he says it).

All time favorite bar none is Bruce Martyn who used to broadcast the Wings game when I was young on WJR. Had the perfect voice for hockey, brought the game to life on the radio.

Speaking of radio, IMHO the two games that best translate to the radio are baseball and hockey. I have passed many an hour behind the wheel of a car listening to a game on the radio, hockey with the right announcer is down right captivating.

The Dave Mishkin quote towards Kirprusoff "Take that Kiprusoff!" of course is an all time great quote.

I love Mickey Redmond, but he drives me nuts with his love fest with Johan Franzen, calling him 'the big guy' whenever Franzen steps on the ice without falling down. Love Redmond describing how a goal occurred on a two on one, with his patented 'Bingo Bango Bongo!'

Edited by yave1964

" IMHO the two games that best translate to the radio are baseball and hockey"

Back inna day, some baseball games were broadcast by a reporter reading from a teletype machine.  It was too expensive  for the radio station to have the announcer travel to away games, so the guy would sit in the studio and read the paper tape.  it was dull as hell.  No sound of the crowd, no game noise at all.  Sometimes they'd try to fake it, and pretend they were at the game.   There were some funny stories about the machines or connections breaking, and the announcer would ad lib scenarios. 

“Ladies and gentlemen, the Flyers are going to win the Stanley Cup! The Flyers win the Stanley Cup! The Flyers win the Stanley Cup! The Flyers have won the Stanley Cup!” Gene Hart, 1974 Stanley Cup Final

Obviously....would love to hear it again in my lifetime!!!!!!!!!!!

Probably pure nostalgia, but everything Bob Cole sa

I like Bob Cole too.  An honest, straight forward description of the game with none of the over-the-top phoney hysteria when goals are scored.  You mention mistakes.  Any he might make doesn't bother me either.   Speaking of mistakes, Harry Neale constantly misidentified players.  I always wondered how he judged players when he was a coach, because he probably didn't know who the hell they were.

I like Bob Cole too.  An honest, straight forward description of the game with none of the over-the-top phoney hysteria when goals are scored.  You mention mistakes.  Any he might make doesn't bother me either.   Speaking of mistakes, Harry Neale constantly misidentified players.  I always wondered how he judged players when he was a coach, because he probably didn't know who the hell they were.

True.

People also call out Bob Cole getting excited over nothing, but to me that makes games that might otherwise have lulls seem that much more interesting. You can tell he loves his job anyway. :)