Sad but true

caluso

meltzer wrote the following today. couldnt agree more. sadly.

Despite the assist, Giroux remains largely invisible on a game-in and game-out basis. Even more worrisome than the fact he has not scored a goal in the first 14 games is the lack of scoring chances he's been creating in the last few games for himself or linemates. Giroux does not even seem close to scoring a goal after an earlier stretch where he hit the post several times. The Giroux line often ends up hemmed deep into own zone. I cannot pretend to know the reason why the Flyers captain is struggling this badly, but it clear in watching him that his confidence has plummeted. 

Unfortunately, when Giroux has been noticeable this season, it has more often been for being part of a defensive breakdown than a scoring chance at the other end. The final minute of regulation was emblematic of this Flyers season to date. 

WHY THE HECK WAS GIROUX OUT THERE AT THE END, ANYWAY?????????

Edited by caluso

I thought the same think when I saw the replay. The goal was scored because Giroux didn't take his man who was driving to the net. It was clear that Giroux was clueless and in no-mans land on that play. He didn't play at all in the OT. The announcers thought it was strange that he wasn't out there but I'm hoping berube saw his laziness in that final minute and benched him. I think he deserves Thursday off at home too.

• Like 1

@icehole my thoughts too...he needs to watch a game with Clarke .

Caught totally watching the puck while he was in the slot, he had to know there was a cutter coming through, right?

Hell Mason almost stopped that one too.

Mason deserves better.

I thought it was laughable to learn that team Canada was scouting him and Staal . There is no way Claude Giroux deserves a shot at playing on the Olympic team based on his performance this season.

Its true.  What I found more disturbing though, was after the goal against, they all hung their heads sooo low, they probably could see the great wall of China.   Seriously, you could see it on their faces that that was the end of the game.  Its like 'NO! there is still a frikkin minute left, pick you ass up and go get that goal back!'  They just folded like a cheap suit.  Only 2 years ago, this team were the comeback kids.  I just don't get it.

I thought the same think when I saw the replay. The goal was scored because Giroux didn't take his man who was driving to the net. It was clear that Giroux was clueless and in no-mans land on that play. He didn't play at all in the OT. The announcers thought it was strange that he wasn't out there but I'm hoping berube saw his laziness in that final minute and benched him. I think he deserves Thursday off at home too.

Personally, I think he needs a game on the bench... a message must be sent. And for the Love of God they need to Trade Coburn!

There's definitely room for improvement on the defense but I can't torch them after they almost had two straight shutouts. I think we all expected giroux, voracek,and hartnel to each have at least 20 each right? That's basically a goal every 4 games. How different would their record be if each one scored just 1 goal every four games? They'd be .500 at least.

• Like 1

Maybe I am just getting apathetic to this whole situation but why is anyone shocked w/ the outcome?   G continues to play terrible hockey.  Not only on offense but his defense is nearly, if not worse, as bad.   I think it would serve him well to at least sit int he box for a game or two.  The talent is there but his confidence is absolutely shot. 

He is not helping the Team and truthfully only hurting them right now.  Sit him down and let him clear his head before that HUGE contract kicks in.  If he does not right his play this franchise is screwed for the next 8 years.  Something is not right and it is more than physical b/c his hockey IQ went from academic to remedial in the matter of one offseason. 

There's definitely room for improvement on the defense but I can't torch them after they almost had two straight shutouts. I think we all expected giroux, voracek,and hartnel to each have at least 20 each right? That's basically a goal every 4 games. How different would their record be if each one scored just 1 goal every four games? They'd be .500 at least.

ice... I agree.   The defense has played decent but the offense is just not there... 

Personally, I think he needs a game on the bench... a message must be sent. And for the Love of God they need to Trade Coburn!

Seriously, that's your takeaway from the game? Coburn handled Alex Semin very well, including forcing timely turnovers. The loss is hardly on Coburn.

• Like 1

Commander. It's Commander.

Also, I resent that statement. I wasn't even watching the game.

Commander, with all due respect I think he was taking about Giroux.  However while we have your attention, would you recomend the fans throwing waffles on the ice at the home games?  Do you feel Is that what turned it around for the Leafs after years of futility? :P   (My personal thought is that it was the hiring of Dave Poulin).

Commander, with all due respect I think he was taking about Giroux.  However while we have your attention, would you recomend the fans throwing waffles on the ice at the home games?  Do you feel Is that what turned it around for the Leafs after years of futility? :P   (My personal thought is that it was the hiring of Dave Poulin).

Well, then I oughta sue Giroux for copyright infringement! ;)

I think it may have been both, actually. Poulin was secretly behind the waffle throwing.

I think the waffle throwing and paper bag wearing fans signified the fanbase was fed up with the losing, even if it came a little late. But credit where credit is due: I'm not Burkie's biggest fan, but he did a lot of good for the franchise. Even the Kessel "debacle" doesn't look like the horrific apocalypse that so many people (myself included, although I wasn't as upset with it as some of my fellow Leafers ready to jump off of the CN Tower) thought it was.

Although, who knows if the futility is finally over or not. You never know when the Leafs are concerned - failure could be right around the corner. :(

Especially with losing Bozak and Bolland on a team already hurting for centre depth....yikes.

Burke to Philly - E5.