Flyers @ Jets 11/14 Game Thread

hf101

The Flyers are hoping to win 4 or their last 5 tonight as they face the Jets who are on their own 3 game win streak themselves.  Should be a good matchup.

PROJECTED LINE COMBINATIONS  as per Meltzer

FLYERS

19 Scott Hartnell - 28 Claude Giroux - 93 Jakub Voracek
10 Brayden Schenn - 40 Vincent Lecavalier - 17 Wayne Simmonds
9 Steve Downie - 14 Sean Couturier - 24 Matt Read
37 Jay Rosehill - 18 Adam Hall - 36 Zac Rinaldo

44 Kimmo Timonen - 5 Braydon Coburn
8 Nicklas Grossmann - 32 Mark Streit
26 Erik Gustafsson - 22 Luke Schenn

35 Steve Mason
[29 Ray Emery]

JETS

16 Andrew Ladd - 18 Bryan Little - 26 Blake Wheeler
9 Evander Kane - 12 Olli Jokinen - 40 Devin Setoguchi
15 Matt Halischuk - 55 Mark Scheifele - 67 Michael Frolik
27 Eric Tangradi - 17 James Wright - 22 Chris Thorburn

33 Dustin Byfuglien - 24 Grant Clitsome
44 Zach Bogosian - 39 Tobias Enstrom
7 Keaton Ellerby - 2 Adam Pardy

31 Ondrej Pavelec
[35 Al Montoya]

Lets Go Flyers!

I only caught the last period and OT.  The tying goal was a screened blast. The team looked tired except for OT.  I can't fault Mason for our OT woes. Five out of six points on a road trip ain't shabby. Coburn is playing as well as any time in his career.  Overall good stuff.

Best,

Howie

@pilldoc

yeah it's a tough call but I guess I agree (reluctantly) that Mason is "a bit better" than Bryzgalov. 

HAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....................  dot vuz uh gude von Doc!

[edit: oh wait, you meant in the SO. And you weren't being sarcastic. Ohhhh...well...I think I'll stick with my sarcasm even if we're only comparing SO success. With Mason standing on his head all night at least I felt we had a chance. With Bryzgalov, he stunk so bad I never even hoped we'd win a SO.]

@Howie58

yep the legs were looking a little heavy in the 3rd...I think the Flyers managed 4 SOG. But they found that "extra gear" in OT and that was great to see. I didn't expect it. After seeing them hang on for dear life in the 3rd, giving up another PP goal to lose the lead...I thought for sure OT would end quickly with a Jets goal.

The first 2 periods were a lot different than the 3rd. The Flyers didn't dominate the Jets but they had the ice tilted a few times and gave Pavlec some trouble. They weathered an early onslaught by the Jets and didn't fold after getting scored on. Last night was the first time this season the Flyers earned a point after giving up the first goal.

I wish I knew what's up with Couturier and Downie though. Neither guy seems to be able to hang onto the puck for more than 2 seconds at a time. Couturier's line was really weak offensively. I understand it's a 3rd line, a checking line. But Read was quiet too, invisible really and he can make plays and score goals, he's done it often enough. For some reason they just didn't click at all last night.

Speaking of Couturier - I love his defensive work; I know he gets all the toughest assignments; I realize he's only 20 years old. But I hope he starts putting it all together soon, in all 3 zones. Right now he doesn't accept passes very well, gets ridden off the puck pretty easily along the wall and is basically useless offensively. Like I say I get it, he's centering a checking-line and the Flyers shouldn't be depending on him for goals. But maybe it's time they expanded his role and give him more PP time (at least).

Edited by canoli

@pilldoc

yeah it's a tough call but I guess I agree (reluctantly) that Mason is "a bit better" than Bryzgalov. 

HAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....................  dot vuz uh gude von Doc!

[edit: oh wait, you meant in the SO. And you weren't being sarcastic. Ohhhh...well...I think I'll stick with my sarcasm even if we're only comparing SO success. With Mason standing on his head all night at least I felt we had a chance. With Bryzgalov, he stunk so bad I never even hoped we'd win a SO.]

Sorry Canoli....yeah I meant it appears that Mason is better than Bryz in shootouts.  With Bryz that shootout last night is over in 3 rounds.  With Mason, it appears he has the ability to stone some of the shooters.  I still hate shootouts though!!!!!  Mason has been outstanding for us in regulation. For once in a long while I don't feel as nervous with our goaltending.

@pilldoc

@Howie58

yep the legs were looking a little heavy in the 3rd...I think the Flyers managed 4 SOG. But they found that "extra gear" in OT and that was great to see. I didn't expect it. After seeing them hang on for dear life in the 3rd, giving up another PP goal to lose the lead...I thought for sure OT would end quickly with a Jets goal.

The first 2 periods were a lot different than the 3rd. The Flyers didn't dominate the Jets but they had the ice tilted a few times and gave Pavlec some trouble. They weathered an early onslaught by the Jets and didn't fold after getting scored on. Last night was the first time this season the Flyers earned a point after giving up the first goal.

I wish I knew what's up with Couturier and Downie though. Neither guy seems to be able to hang onto the puck for more than 2 seconds at a time. Couturier's line was really weak offensively. I understand it's a 3rd line, a checking line. But Read was quiet too, invisible really and he can make plays and score goals, he's done it often enough. For some reason they just didn't click at all last night.

Speaking of Couturier - I love his defensive work; I know he gets all the toughest assignments; I realize he's only 20 years old. But I hope he starts putting it all together soon, in all 3 zones. Right now he doesn't accept passes very well, gets ridden off the puck pretty easily along the wall and is basically useless offensively. Like I say I get it, he's centering a checking-line and the Flyers shouldn't be depending on him for goals. But maybe it's time they expanded his role and give him more PP time (at least).

Sir Canoli:

Good to hear from you...hope all is well!  Coots is not getting a lot of love on this board. He is certainly not an offensive threat. Maybe the guy was oversold/billed at draft. 

Peace,

Howie

Nice seeing you around here too Howie...hope all's well down in the sunny South!

I just posted a response in the "couturier is so slow..." thread - summing it up I'm wondering whether Couturier's offensive skills are slowly dying away as he becomes strictly a shutdown center. I never watched him in his Drummondville days but I read what other posters said and I see the numbers. This kid scored 96 pts. 2 years in a row and although juniors ain't the "bigs" he must have plenty of offensive instinct. To me he looked like a better player (offensively) his rookie year than he does now. I wonder if the Flyers see that too and if they do are they okay with the tradeoff? He's our best defensive forward and I still like him, liked him from day 1. But I bet he can be more of a 2-way player and maybe it's incumbent on the Flyers to make it happen - or at least give him the opportunities to evaluate his potential.

Nice seeing you around here too Howie...hope all's well down in the sunny South!

I just posted a response in the "couturier is so slow..." thread - summing it up I'm wondering whether Couturier's offensive skills are slowly dying away as he becomes strictly a shutdown center. I never watched him in his Drummondville days but I read what other posters said and I see the numbers. This kid scored 96 pts. 2 years in a row and although juniors ain't the "bigs" he must have plenty of offensive instinct. To me he looked like a better player (offensively) his rookie year than he does now. I wonder if the Flyers see that too and if they do are they okay with the tradeoff? He's our best defensive forward and I still like him, liked him from day 1. But I bet he can be more of a 2-way player and maybe it's incumbent on the Flyers to make it happen - or at least give him the opportunities to evaluate his potential.

Great post!

It seems to me Couturier is being used more like a Joel Otto rather than an Eric Stall.