Is Alain Vigneault the biggest idiot in hockey?

yave1964

Alain Vigneault is a good coach, I know he is, I am just trying to figure out if he loves drama or just does not know how to avoid it.

Vigneault has been coaching forever at some level or another, kind of  a mediocre showing with the Canadiens in the late nineties followed by becoming the all time winningest coach in Vancouver Canuck history, winning a Jack Adams as the leagues best coach once and twice winning the Presidents cup as his team had the leagues best record and once making it to the Stanley Cup finals losing a spirited seven game series to the Bruins.

What he is most famous for in Vancouver is his constant goalie controversy between Bobby Lu and Schneider. Many feel the distraction within the organization helped grease the skids and run him out of town.

So he lands in New York where the King, Henrik Lundquist, AKA the greatest goalie currently playing the game today resides. The team got off to a wretched start, Lundquist had a GAA resembling the national debt after two weeks, his backup Marty Biron was released or retired or taken out back and shot. Johan Hedberg who had been run out of Jersey when Schneider came aboard was rumored to be coming to New York and 26 year old non prospect Cam Talbot who had been a very ordinary AHL goalie for the past three years was recalled temporarily. Talbot had a good start or two, Lundquist started getting it back together and Hedberg was forgotten as Talbot proved to be capable as a backup.

Lundquist, to be fair has been far from Kingish, but since the first two weeks has more or less righted the ship. Over the past month however, Talbot has enjoyed easily the best month of his career at exactly the right time.

So now, Lundquist is being misused by Vigneault, last night the King was irate that Talbot who had started the game before was given another start, this time against the Winnipeg Jets. Vigneault said all of the right things, 'Henrik is my starter' and all of that, while Lundquist sat fuming on the bench and Talbot was very ordinary at best, losing 5-2 in a game that was winnable by the Rangers, Talbot gave up two softies and if Halischuk had not fanned on an empty net in the third when Talbot was waaayyyy out of position it would have been worse.

I am beginning to wonder if Vigneault loves drama. I get competition helps inspire people but c'mon, this is Lundquist and a career minor leaguer, and an average at best one at that who is getting his starts. Granted, New York media love to make something out of nothing, hell that is how they sell newspapers, but the whispers and grumblings of how much Lundquist is not enjoying playing for his coach have already started. This is not Bobby Lu and Cory Schneider, a ridiculous situation that drug on at least two years past its expiration date anyway, this is the best goalie in Hockey and a career scrub. I am sure Cam Talbot is a nice guy, I am sure his wife loves him, he may be nice to little kids and puppies and just generally be a great guy.

But this is Lundquist. HE should tell his coach when he needs a night off, not the other way around. And as far as two games in a row off when Lundquist is healthy? I doubt that has ever happened to him on any level at any time ever. I get that Vigneault is the coach, but creating enmity between himself and the clubs best player has to be the biggest bonehead move of any coach so far this season.

@yave1964  I think you're right, Alain is a big drama queen. Having had Lundqvist as a keeper for the past 4 years (thanks again Ladyneat!!), I was outraged by the Talbot start on Monday. Sure, the kid has been playing great, but please, back to backs only!!  You have the best goalie on the planet and you diss him by starting Cam, unreal!!  It's not like Lundy has been stinking out the joint lately either....stupid, stupid move by a coach that does not know where his bread is buttered.

@jammer2

"Alain is a big drama queen."

:lol:   You can say that again.  I remember back in Dec. 2010 when he was complaining about the Hawks running up the score in a game that the Hawks won 7-1.  That season (2010-2011) was also the one where Dave Bolland made his famous statement about the Sedin "sisters" who "probably sleep in bunk beds".

The Hawks-Canucks rivalry was lit up like a Christmas tree back then, but I remember all too well how that season ended for the Hawks in the first round vs. the Canucks.

• Like 1

@jammer2

"Alain is a big drama queen."

:lol:   You can say that again.  I remember back in Dec. 2010 when he was complaining about the Hawks running up the score in a game that the Hawks won 7-1.  That season (2010-2011) was also the one where Dave Bolland made his famous statement about the Sedin "sisters" who "probably sleep in bunk beds".

The Hawks-Canucks rivalry was lit up like a Christmas tree back then, but I remember all too well how that season ended for the Hawks in the first round vs. the Canucks.

I remember that series, a GREAT seven game series, the Hawks came within an eyelash of upsetting them. My biggest memory of that series is game seven third period Patrick Kane getting his face sewn up on the bench so he could get back on the ice. That was the day that I quit thinking of him strictly as a party boy who ran from taxi cabs and wore a superman cape at all star games and started accepting his intensity and recognizing him as a true battler....

I remember that series, a GREAT seven game series, the Hawks came within an eyelash of upsetting them. My biggest memory of that series is game seven third period Patrick Kane getting his face sewn up on the bench so he could get back on the ice. That was the day that I quit thinking of him strictly as a party boy who ran from taxi cabs and wore a superman cape at all star games and started accepting his intensity and recognizing him as a true battler....

It was amazing that the Hawks even made it a 7-game series after being down 3 games to none.

I think Kane may have grown up a bit after that series.  I was not cool with some of the stuff going around about him at that time and even read some op-eds in the Trib then saying that he should get out of town before he gets run out of it.