What is up with Brian Burke?

AndyS

Saw his quote on Bobby Ryan not being picked for the TEAM USA roster.

He must have some personal beef with him from back when he was the GM of the Ducks.  Even so, it just makes no sense.

I lost a lot of respect for Burke over this.  Just a classless move on his part.

There are two (2) American-born forwards in the NHL with more goals than Ryan. TWO! 

Yeah, this thing is personal.

Brian Burke sounds like he is still trying to put together a Toronto Maple Leafs goon squad and Bobby Ryan didn't fit that mold.

I've always heard Burke had an ego the size of Canada, but these latest comments all but confirmed that.

Hey, Bobby Ryan may have flaws in his game (most notably defensively), but you know, the guy is still a premier player and MANY teams would LOVE to have the guy on their team.

The guy is a goal scorer and playmaker first, yet he can play a physical game a bit as well.

Perhaps not to the tune of what Burke considers "acceptable", but really, his comments were unwarranted.

Yea, does sound personal. And Burke and his ego just couldn't pass up an opportunity to put himself center stage with the media apparently.

Even if he felt Bobby Ryan wasn't worthy of being on Team USA (which is downright ridiculous), the kind of commentary he put out there is just very unprofessional and just shows the kind of character the guy has.

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26

It's obviously a personal thing.

Here are some quotes and the official apology from Dave Poile.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nhl/2014/01/03/david-poile-apologizes-to-bobby-ryan-team-usa-brian-burke/4303707/

"It's been taken totally out of context, Poile said. "You have to realize in this situation for players who made the team, there were critical things said about them, and good things said about them. That's just the way it goes when you are analyzing."

Poile explained that Ryan didn't make the team because of the emergence of other players like James van Riemsdyk and Max Pacioretty. Zach Parise and Dustin Brown were holdovers from the 2010 U.S. Olympic squad.

Poile said the committee members didn't have a clear understanding of how media members were going to present the information they gathered. "That's on us," Poile said.

He added: "What goes on in the room should stay in the room. This was a characterization on whole that was not a characterization of what actually happened."

USA TODAY Sports can confirm that Burke did speak of Ryan's strengths during other meetings.

I don't know how you can take Burke's "he can't spell 'intense'" comments any other way than they have been taken. This backfilling and apologizing is pathetic.

And if the team underperforms and the JVRs, Paciorettys, Parises and Browns of the world don't score, you're certainly going to hear a lot more about it.

It's obviously a personal thing.

Here are some quotes and the official apology from Dave Poile.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nhl/2014/01/03/david-poile-apologizes-to-bobby-ryan-team-usa-brian-burke/4303707/

I don't know how you can take Burke's "he can't spell 'intense'" comments any other way than they have been taken. This backfilling and apologizing is pathetic.

And if the team underperforms and the JVRs, Paciorettys, Parises and Browns of the world don't score, you're certainly going to hear a lot more about it.

Yeah, there is no good "context" in which Burke's comments could be considered anything but derogatory & insulting.

Poile's "apology" just makes it worse.

So they gave a reporter unfiltered access to the room, he reported what happened, and USA hockey is surprised?  Great planning and foresight there, fellas.

Hey, Ryan should be pissed.  He belongs on that team.  

Anyone would be pissed if they heard those things said about them.  I get that.  However, if anyone has an opinion..it's Burke.  There isn't a stop sign between head and mouth.  . I'm not saying I agree with what he said, but how anyone at USA Hockey didn't see this coming is amazing to me.

And Rad is 1000% correct, if Team USA doesn't get 3+ a game, this is gonna blow up all over again in February.  

I place the blame squarely on USA Hockey.  Bad decision, after bad decision....

Edited by DaGreatGazoo

I think its funny that Poile goes so far as to acknowledge they didn't pick the "best players"... 

but the "right players" whatever, i realize there are some character guys you want blah blah blah, but i think whomever typed less than 3 goals a game and no medal there will be some 'splainin' to do was spot on.

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 1

It was a dumb thing to say under the circumstances but I guarantee you that these kinds of things are said in these kinds of meetings by coaches and GMs for every team in every pro sport around. The dumb thing was allowing a reporter to be present in the first place.

And from what I've read elsewhere, leaving Ryan off was not Burke's decision. The other people involved seemed to think he wasn't the guy they wanted. Burke (not surprisingly) was just the most quotable.

They also left Yandle off the team, which I think is a more serious omission personally.

Edited by JackStraw
  • Like 1

It was a dumb thing to say under the circumstances but I guarantee you that these kinds of things are said in these kinds of meetings by coaches and GMs for every team in every pro sport around. The dumb thing was allowing a reporter to be present in the first place.

Exactly. Burke isn't the bad guy. It's Hockey USA for allowing a reporter this kind of access and then not having some sort of final signoff on content before it gets published.

Exactly. Burke isn't the bad guy. It's Hockey USA for allowing a reporter this kind of access and then not having some sort of final signoff on content before it gets published.

Any "reporter" who agrees to allow the subject of an interview/story to have sign-off on content isn't worth the title.

It was a ridiculously stupid decision by Team USA to allow this sort of access. It's like an arbitration hearing - people say things for short term purposes that can have long term implications.

Morganti has a nice piece on this today: http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/nuf-said-morganti/Bobby-Ryan-saga-could-alter-reality-in-the-NHL.html

His points about the impact of HBO 24/7 are spot on from where I sit. I just don't think it is at all worth the distraction.

His points about the impact of HBO 24/7 are spot on from where I sit. I just don't think it is at all worth the distraction.

Exactly.

So is HBO to blame for airing an unfiltered Bryzgalov for the world to see what a lunatic he really is? Or is it the NHL's fault for allowing such access in the first place?

Bryz is Bryz, and Burke is Burke. We just got to see more of them than what is typical, warts and all.

Didn't the Wings ban the HBO crew from the locker room one day during the latest 24/7?

I honestly didn't even watch the 24/7 when the Flyers were part of it. I think I caught the first episode and part of the second. I didn't find it interesting enough to continue.

Exactly.

So is HBO to blame for airing an unfiltered Bryzgalov for the world to see what a lunatic he really is? Or is it the NHL's fault for allowing such access in the first place?

Bryz is Bryz, and Burke is Burke. We just got to see more of them than what is typical, warts and all.

Didn't the Wings ban the HBO crew from the locker room one day during the latest 24/7?

I honestly didn't even watch the 24/7 when the Flyers were part of it. I think I caught the first episode and part of the second. I didn't find it interesting enough to continue.

The "problem" such as it is, is that the producers are trying to make an interesting television show. Conflict and eccentricity are played up in those situations.

I recall the whole "Jagr doesn't want to sit with Bryz" incident - which was clearly Jagr aping up for the cameras and playing for effect. It became "Jagr doesn't like Bryz."

Is ESPN going to write about the calm, reasoned discussions about who fits best on the Olympic team? Hell no.

Can you imagine Herb Brooks' approach surviving that sort of scrutiny? Never.

It's all part of the old adage that you don't want to see how sausage is made, no matter how tasty it turns out to be.

It's all part of the old adage that you don't want to see how sausage is made, no matter how tasty it turns out to be.

Actually, I think the proliferation of 'reality' TV, broadband mobile and social media have heightened the voyeuristic part of most people, and they now want and expect this kind of 'raw' look into things, a behind behind the scenes. They want to see the sausage being made.

And then lash out when it offends them.

Actually, I think the proliferation of 'reality' TV, broadband mobile and social media have heightened the voyeuristic part of most people, and they now want and expect this kind of 'raw' look into things, a behind behind the scenes. They want to see the sausage being made.

And then lash out when it offends them.

Right, like the redneck from rural Louisiana having fundamentalist Christian opinions - hoocouldanode??