penguins just got worked by florida

aziz

And they always stumble after long breaks. 4 days off plus mixing in returning players... All the factors were there. Was bound to happen somewhere along the line and they do have a knack for playing down to their opponents at times.

No worries though they can afford to drop one here and there.

Why would it annoy you that a thread about the Penguins and the Panthers wouldn't remain in the Flyers forum?

Because I was less interested in the penguins losing than I was the people who point at individual bad games as proof of a flawed and inconsistent team.

Because I was less interested in the penguins losing than I was the people who point at individual bad games as proof of a flawed and inconsistent team.

Well, then, couch it in those terms and make it specifically about the Flyers :)

Otherwise, it obviously belongs in "Around the NHL" - as it is true of every team in the league.

The real proof of a flawed and inconsistent team is how often those individual bad games happen. I don't personally think that the team leading the East in points with a 34-13-2 record qualifies.

Being one of nine teams in the East - including five teams in the Metropolitan division - with point totals in the 50s just might.

I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say that the Rangers, Devils, Caps and Blue Jackets are "flawed and inconsistent" for example.

I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say that the Rangers, Devils, Caps and Blue Jackets are "flawed and inconsistent" for example.

People have a tendency to use 'inconsistent' only in a negative sense. 

When the Flyers went on a 10-2-1 stretch in December, that was inconsistent when you consider their season to date. That's the good kind! ;)

A team that typically wins a few games followed by a few losses is consistent. Streaks in either direction are what are inconsistent.

People have a tendency to use 'inconsistent' only in a negative sense. 

When the Flyers went on a 10-2-1 stretch in December, that was inconsistent when you consider their season to date. That's the good kind! ;)

A team that typically wins a few games followed by a few losses is consistent. Streaks in either direction are what are inconsistent.

Flyers were 7-4-2 in December. Their big run was against mostly-sub-.500 teams in November/December (you might remember the thread I started about it :D )

They have been playing better and are certainly more "consistent" than they had been at the start of the season, but I don't think we can say any sort of "corner" has been turned or that there aren't some inherent flaws (*cough* *cough* defense *cough* *cough*) that remain.

And that's got nothing to do with "one game" as much as it has to do with the past 98.

I have not read anywhere that one loss is a sign of a bad team.  A team that is inconsistent over a longer period of games usually shows a team that is average or bad.