Trade deadline talk

nossagog

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Polaris922  Somebody will give you talented all star winger for Letang, I can really see that happening. Looking around the league, I can't seem to find somebody who needs a pp qb who has an all star winger available also. I'm sure there is a fit out there, but I can't find it right now.

Perhaps Boston, who has Krug working the top pp right now. Krug has been very spotty production wise of late, and the Bruins are one of those teams who are so sound defensively, they would be able to adsorb Letang's less than stellar defense because they play such a solid defensive game. Maybe a Letang for Lucic deal might work for both teams. Last year, the Bruins were desperate to unload Lucic....this year he has been much better, but still has lapses. Lucic would be a nice linemate for Sid, give him more space to work with. Plus, the Bruins lost Sidenberg for year, so they do have a hole back on the blueline....and Hamilton is a few years away from being a real force on the pp.

Of course we all wish Letang well but his situation opens up a whole new can of worms for the Pens...

Not so much worried about the D. Plenty of dept there. But there is a lot more cap space to play with at the deadline.

Does that put the Pens in the market for Vanek?

@B21  I'm assuming Letang goes on the LTIR and is out for the year? So, they could use what is left of his pro-rated salary for the rest of the year....correct?

The reports say he is out for at least 6 weeks and that this issue is "likely not career threatening" but we are talking about a stroke...I would think it would be more than six weeks.  This is a lot like the Crosby concussion situation a few years back.  Will he be ready for the playoffs? Maybe/maybe not - but you need to make the call prior to the trade deadline if you plan on replacing him with any freed up cap space.

With the depth at D, I would err on the side of caution.  Put him on LTIR and use whatever cap space that gives you (along with Vokoun and Dupuis on LTIR) to upgrade at forward.  I keep thinking his cap hit is $7,000,000 plus but that does not kick in until next season so maybe they don't have the room for Vanek.

Vokoun - 2M. Letang - 3.5M.  Dupuis - 3.75M.

Any idea how much they have to work with at the deadline? Paging aziz.

just a few days ago i was talking to my dad about how Letang seems to get hurt more and more every year and he has trouble staying healthy.  now this news comes out and i feel like a total jerk.  i hope he has a full recovery.

@domaug

Nothing to feel that way for. The guy's condition isn't exactly advertised at times, and this one is completely new. He has been hurt a lot lately, so we'll see if they repair the hole and what impact that has on his play.

I'd expect six weeks is just a guess. They don't even mention surgery in the reports. The show I watched on it a few nights ago said surgery is required but recovery time is a matter of days, not weeks. So what are they doing??

@Polaris922  How about his for a Pen's deadline deal....Radem Verbeta of the Yotes for Doumoulin and Megna. This would make sense for both teams....the Yotes get 2 more young studs to add to their stable AND at the same time, avoid losing him for nothing in the summer as a UFA. He only makes 3 mill a year (in the last year of his current deal), so a pro-rated version of that would make him easy to fit under the cap. The Pens get a veteran leader who would look great as one of Sid's wingers. Plus, he plays a gritty game and is playoff battle tested. I think he would be a perfect fit on either Crosby's or Malkin's lines.

@jammer2

Having him on the Pens may be interesting, but for Doumoulin and Mega? "Holy mortgaging the future Batman". Both have a hugh upside in their future, and Vrbata is a UFA after the season.  I just can't see that trade, especially for what would look to be a rental. Now if you want to go even up for Brooks Orpik since the Pens have defense a plenty,  I'd give that a thought.  Heck, I'd even toss in Chuck Kobasew along with a bag of used pucks.

@jammer2

Having him on the Pens may be interesting, but for Doumoulin and Mega? "Holy mortgaging the future Batman". Both have a hugh upside in their future, and Vrbata is a UFA after the season.  I just can't see that trade, especially for what would look to be a rental. Now if you want to go even up for Brooks Orpik since the Pens have defense a plenty,  I'd give that a thought.  Heck, I'd even toss in Chuck Kobasew along with a bag of used pucks.

Agree. That's a lot for a rental of Vrbata's level.

• 3 weeks later...

So now what fellas,  where's Letang ? is he scheduled for a return this year after his stroke ?  Paul Martin out until the playoffs... do you play the kids knowing the division is rubbish , give them minutes and let Martin recover in time for the playoffs ? do you now feel like you need to make a move on the blue line since 2 of your top four are injured ?

it went from do we add a winger ?  to crap we might need a player pretty quickly. 

So now what fellas,  where's Letang ? is he scheduled for a return this year after his stroke ?  Paul Martin out until the playoffs... do you play the kids knowing the division is rubbish , give them minutes and let Martin recover in time for the playoffs ? do you now feel like you need to make a move on the blue line since 2 of your top four are injured ?

it went from do we add a winger ?  to crap we might need a player pretty quickly. 

Meh. They've played significant parts of the season sans Letang and Martin so at least as far as the regular season goes I'm not worried. 

I still think a winger is priority with Dupuis out for the season and now Bennett (per Bylsma today he had a "setback" and is out another month) on the shelf for the forseeable future.

Depending on who winds up on LTIR for the rest of the season (with Dupuis) they could have room to make a splash at the deadline.

@B21

Meszaros for Maata and a 1st?

No No a thousand times No.

The injuries to Martin and Letang surely through a wrench into things.   With the secrecy of the Pens, who know when they will really be back into the lineup.  The Pens have the depth to survive(they recalled Despres again) but it leaves them in a quandary for the trade deadline. They have 7 on defense still, but I'm not sure if they are confident enough to trade any away now.

Shero is usually ultra aggressive at the deadline. I suspect he will tone it down a tad this year, but we should see a trade for a winger here. I don't know what the Pens would give up, but I still like my Verbata idea. He would be a nice fit for the Pens. A clutch veteran addition, who plays a real nice two way game. If he works out, they would have the option of re-signing him for a few years. Lot's to like here....

I don't see any panic necessary on defense.  They have Orpik, Maata, Bortuzzo, NIskanen, Depres and Scuderi.  Plus some quality youth in the pipeline.  I really don't think the injuries change anything.  They have cap room for a good scoring winger, and if anything I would assume that is the direction they may go, veteran or otherwise.  

Shero states that he's going to probably stand pat on defense.  The Letang thing is anyones guess, not like this comes up that often that they can predict it.    The crimping factor is that the real trade worth on the Pens was the depth at defense.  Now that can't really be touched without affecting the team harshly in the near term. I would have expected to see one of Orpik or Niskanen to go, as they would have brought some value, but now they have to stay in place.

@nossagog

You could always deal a Harrington or Pouliot for help now. Guess it depends on if you think this is your year or not.

We've thought it was "our year" for several years now.

I had dealing defensive prospects so young, but in fairness to them, they may bet a better chance elsewhere.   With the development of Matta, and Despres being there also, the Pens still have youth at defense to carry them forward, and you always need a mix of youth and experience.   

It will all depend on who they go after I suppose and what the other teams need.  Right now, there is a limited number of sellers(teams that are out of it).

@nossagog

After watching so many teams (including the Flyers) trade valuable young assets to 'go for it' and fail, I'm personally done playing that game. How'd Iginla work out for you guys? The Flyers are famous for making trades at the deadline to the point fans just expect you to do it. How many cups did we get out of those? And you can say the same for every other team that gets sucked into overpaying at the deadline. I'd rather be a seller.

One guy I might move if I'm a Pens fan is Pouliot...but only if you plan on keeping Letang. If the plan is to eventually move Letang, no way do I deal Pouliot.

@nossagog

After watching so many teams (including the Flyers) trade valuable young assets to 'go for it' and fail, I'm personally done playing that game. How'd Iginla work out for you guys? The Flyers are famous for making trades at the deadline to the point fans just expect you to do it. How many cups did we get out of those? And you can say the same for every other team that gets sucked into overpaying at the deadline. I'd rather be a seller.

One guy I might move if I'm a Pens fan is Pouliot...but only if you plan on keeping Letang. If the plan is to eventually move Letang, no way do I deal Pouliot.

I think the trade Letang train left the station when the signed him to the big contract.