Trade deadline talk

nossagog

Did Neal ever play on Crosby's wing? Just curious. From an outsider's perspective, I would think them to be a wicked combination.

And how do you guys feel about Shero basically standing pat (Goc and Stempniak notwithstanding)?

He tried to get Kesler.  The latest rumor is that a deal was in place and it was nixed by Vancouver's ownership.  At the end of the day all you can do is try.  Takes two to tango when it comes to trades.  I would have liked Kesler as long as it didn't cost them a Pouliot or Harrington.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did Neal ever play on Crosby's wing? Just curious. From an outsider's perspective, I would think them to be a wicked combination.

And how do you guys feel about Shero basically standing pat (Goc and Stempniak notwithstanding)?

Brealic, if you read some of our previous pages here, our bottom six, in specific out third line, has been a mess due to all of the injuries.   At first glace, Stempniak and Goc don't seem like a big deal, but you can't swing the fences every year.    Shero addressed a big part of the issues on the team, bringing in those two, who are both from what I know two way forwards.   This solidifies our third line coming down the stretch so that we actually have three decent lines again..   If we can get Bennet back in the line up, we'll be okay at the top, and push the best of the rest to a more fitting fourth line, which could now be Adams with Pyatt and Engelland, a true banger line.

I believe that the Kessler deal was kabashed but the price tag that the Canucks wanted. I think that started at a lot, and never budged from there.   Personally, I'm a little dissappointed that they didn't move Orpik, but with the injuries to Martin and Letang, I guess that they felt they had to keep the rest of the defense in tact.

@nossagog @nossagog  The way I see it, Crosby turns 27 in August and Malkin turns 28 in July. That gives them a 4-6 year window for them to win while they are in the primes and still make those around them better. That means a patient approach can be taken, in theory. They will have time to fully develop their defensive prospects AND find the eventual successor to Fleury while the two stars are still in their primes. Any forward drafted in this draft or maybe even the next one should make an impact before they start to regress from age. Magna, Kuhnackle (don't count him out, the 3rd line center of the future, heard it here first!!), Bennett....they should all be forming a core when Sid and Frankenstein turn 30. At that point, a top 4 of Pouliot, Harrington, Doumilin and Matta....that looks like the core of a championship defense to me. Lot of projecting there, but those 4 really stand out. In net, I give a slight edge to Tristan Jerry to make Fleury an afterthought. 

Following that line of thought, Lee and Marcel are the exact types of players the Pens should be adding right now. Grit with a lot of compete and a touch of scoring....perfect guys for playoff hockey. I GUARANTEE Goc will score more than 2 game winners in the playoffs.....maybe 3. Marcel just has a great skill set. Very, very smart....nice skater who covers a lot of ground....great penalty killer....and his work ethic is catchy....love this move by Shero...it will pay off BIG TIME!!  

I think Goc is one of the top 5 underrated forwards in the league. He should get talked about much more than he does. He is the perfect checking line center, does not score much, but when he does, it always seems to a be a big goal....usually a tying or go ahead goal, never one of those 5th goal in a 6 goal win kinda thing

@jammer2

They'd better hurry up and get a winger for Sid and shore up that goaltending. With all those high picks the Sabres have, if they get McDavid (and to me that's the big ?) they're going to be a force to be reckoned with in the East. They've already got the best defensive prospects in the league (yes, better than Pittsburghs). It'll take a few years but when they're finally on their way up, Sid and Malken will be on their way down.

And I'll NEVER admit I said this to Rick.

The way I see it, Crosby turns 27 in August and Malkin turns 28 in July. That gives them a 4-6 year window for them to win while they are in the primes and still make those around them better. That means a patient approach can be taken, in theory.

As much as it pains me to think about it, Crosby is the kind of generational talent that could probably be very effective well into his 30s, probably late 30s if he can stay away from bumping his noggin. Guys like Jagr and Selanne can maintain that level into their 40s because of their drive and workout ethic. I see the same in Crosby.

The biggest difference between them, IMO, is that Crosby plays a more physical game, and might break down earlier.

So that window with Crosby still has another 8-10 years.

Just ask Laviolette! ;)

Giroux is definitely playing like the best player in the world right now!

If he plays like the best player in the world between mid-April and mid-June, he can be 'average' the rest of the time :)

@brelic

I could see Crosby still being a good player until he's 40, depending on health. But good is a far cry from best player in the world.

That was the point I was really trying to make. Sure, Crosby will (health depending) be serviceable into this late 30's and early 40's.....but I believe the Pen's window starts to close when Sid stops making the Dupuis's of the world better players. When that happens, who knows, but I'm saying for the next 5 years or so it's guaranteed, then starts to get iffy. Sid's ability to make otherwise questionable players into stars gives them a 3 for 1 scenario, when that goes, so goes the depth. Dupuis and Kunitz would be nowhere close to their current stats without Sid, we all know that much to be true.

Dupuis and Kunitz would be nowhere close to their current stats without Sid, we all know that much to be true.

I can see a similar situation with LeClair.  Many Flyers fans make LeClair look like he was the first player in the NHL without Lindros.  No.  He was still an OK player.  People keep forgetting that Lindros missed quite a bit of games in the NHL due to his poor health.  Yet LeClair kept producing, just like he kept producing when Lindros was traded away.  Granted, he was no longer a routine 50-goal scorer, but he was not near a stiff people make him out to be.  Sure Lindros helped in a huge way, but the guys was still capitalizing on his chances.

I can see Kunitz sort of following a similar pattern.  Still too early for the Pens to worry about it.  Crosby has many more years in him assuming his health cooperates.

I can see a similar situation with LeClair.  Many Flyers fans make LeClair look like he was the first player in the NHL without Lindros.  No.  He was still an OK player.  People keep forgetting that Lindros missed quite a bit of games in the NHL due to his poor health.  Yet LeClair kept producing, just like he kept producing when Lindros was traded away.  Granted, he was no longer a routine 50-goal scorer, but he was not near a stiff people make him out to be.  Sure Lindros helped in a huge way, but the guys was still capitalizing on his chances.

I can see Kunitz sort of following a similar pattern.  Still too early for the Pens to worry about it.  Crosby has many more years in him assuming his health cooperates.

Kunitz is a good lunchbucket type player who benefits from playing with Crosby. Man was he out of his league playing on Team Canada. His (lack of) talent stood out like a sore thumb.