Downie sucks

ruxpin

I hated that we traded for him but was willing to eat a little crow when he initially played well.

But now, if you want a turnover give the puck to him.

He shouldn't have been a hockey player. He could have been a very successful professional exorcist: he rarely meets a possession he can't quickly end.

• Like 1

I hated that we traded for him but was willing to eat a little crow when he initially played well.

But now, if you want a turnover give the puck to him.

He shouldn't have been a hockey player. He could have been a very successful professional exorcist: he rarely meets a possession he can't quickly end.

Rux if they didn't have too many bodies they could have called Akeson up to play with Coots and Read can'be worse than Downie. I forget which thread it was they all run together.

Can't be worse than him fumbling the puck...guys is a nightmare and he is killing Read and Coots having a boatanchor on the wing it's like they are skating a man down or something. Give Akeson and chance oh that is right, they can't you can thank your GM for that or even better you can just thank him for Downie...at least put Raffl on thier win it's the least Berube can do....now.

@ruxpin

@murraycraven

Hmmmm me thinks we now know why the Avs were willing to trade him........ <_<

Doc... I will never understand that trade. Talbot plays all out every shift, kills penalties and an chip in a goal. And the guy is a class act....

Donnie is a turnover machine w mental issues. I hope Homer does not resign him. He is just not that good...

• Like 1

Doc... I will never understand that trade. Talbot plays all out every shift, kills penalties and an chip in a goal. And the guy is a class act....

Donnie is a turnover machine w mental issues. I hope Homer does not resign him. He is just not that good...

can't agree with you more........

Homer = sucker.jpg

All joking aside, the problem is that Downie showed this during his days in junior as well as as him being a hot head.  It was a risk back then and he is still a risk today.  Yes...I admit he provided a spark on the 3rd line, but what good is that spark when you are constantly turning the puck over.  Then you have to worry if he will commit a dumb penalty because of the turnover he created. However, Homer thought he saw an upside to this kid and drafted, despite have the warning bells ringing off in his head.  He simply is not worth his contract.

Edited by pilldoc

So who will this thread be about in two weeks? Guys have up and downs, it generally happens. The grass is only greener on the other side because it's fertilized with bullshit. Talbot was not the answer, and before the concussion, Downie was looking like a good piece. The lovable psycho was traded because the Avs captain is a child.

• Like 2

Not sure what you mean about Talbot not being the answer doom... Kind of a silly statement when you are talking about players that are more suited for the 3rd and 4th line.

I have not been shy about this topic since the trade happened. So, your predictions us that Downie will be the answer and actually be a force down the stretch? Please....

And again... Stop w the concussion BS... If he is now the healthy he needs to remove himself from the lineup. We traded a very good PK guy for someone who has been sitting in the press box and is a turnover machine when on the ice...

We lost out on that trade.

Take off the orange glasses for once...

Edited by murraycraven

We traded a very good PK guy for someone who has been sitting in the press box and is a turnover machine when on the ice...

We traded a guy who was unhappy with his position as a 3rd or 4th line player for a guy who turned this team around playing on that 3rd line position. Downie has made some bad plays but he has made several good ones too. Anybody that doubts that Downie was the catalyst for this team's turn around is being willfully ignorant. He jump started this team. If I was not so lazy, I would pull up the stats that prove it. For anyone out there that cares to refute that, look it up yourself.

We traded a guy who was unhappy with his position as a 3rd or 4th line player for a guy who turned this team around playing on that 3rd line position. Downie has made some bad plays but he has made several good ones too. Anybody that doubts that Downie was the catalyst for this team's turn around is being willfully ignorant. He jump started this team. If I was not so lazy, I would pull up the stats that prove it. For anyone out there that cares to refute that, look it up yourself.

I don't think you'll have any problem proving the trade was the turning point.   What is arguable is whether it was the players involved or the fact there WAS a trade woke up the team.  

I actually think Downie himself did help when he first arrived--much to both my surprise and chagrin.

But he has been horrific for quite a bit of time now.  It's not just this game, and it's not just a handful of games.  It's well over a month.   He just seems like his head isn't on straight (not a reference to the concussion, but maybe there's something to that)

Downie has made some bad plays but he has made several good ones too

Not in awhile just fumble turnover after turnover.

Hell they scored tonight cause he couldn't just look down and find the puck..turnover the other way...SCORE!

He is killing the momentum many times Coots and Read are creating. Just like late in the game they fight to keep it in the zone he gets it behind the net and can't even get around the net actually runs into the net and turns it over.

I'm not trying to be critical of him but he hasn't did squat in awhile....this is a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately business...he's has turned it over...consistently..not what we are looking for. :ph34r:   

I'm not trying to be critical of him but he hasn't did squat in awhile....this is a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately business...he's has turned it over...consistently..not what we are looking for. :ph34r:

Part of that was him being moved/shuffled off of the 3rd line to jump start Vinny who was the round peg in a square hole.Downie has been more turnover prone since being reunited with Read and Couturier the last few games but he is still not as horrible as people keep painting him as. This 3 week break should allow for many of the players who are nursing/playing through nagging injuries a chance to recuperate for the final run. Food for thought, through the last games against the Western teams the Flyers finished 5-1 with that same "turnover prone" winger named Steve Downie.......I think I can live with that.....

P.S. Rux, quit hiding my posts..... :lol:

Edited by flyerrod

And again... Stop w the concussion BS... If he is now the healthy he needs to remove himself from the lineup. We traded a very good PK guy for someone who has been sitting in the press box and is a turnover machine when on the ice...

We lost out on that trade.

Take off the orange glasses for once...

So I state a different opinion and it's orange glasses for me? How many guys would honestly remove themselves from a game with other guys playing hurt? None. Hell, Lappy was celebrated here for it. As was Mike Richards and Kimo Timonen.

And, the Flyers have plenty of PK guys.

Talbot hated his role on the Flyers and definitely was mailing it in. I guess I'll keep my orange sunglasses, and you keep your revisionist history.

with that same "turnover prone" winger named Steve Downie.......I think I can live with that.....

Yeah on the 4th line i can to......

....put Raffl with Cooter and Read.

Let Downie work out whatever is ailing him or get the spider webs out his head...but just promote Raffl in the mean time. But maybe just maybe he'll come back after the break ready to put forth more effort than he is shown.

Part of that was him being moved/shuffled off of the 3rd line to jump start Vinny who was the round peg in a square hole.Downie has been more turnover prone since being reunited with Read and Couturier the last few games but he is still not as horrible as people keep painting him as. This 3 week break should allow for many of the players who are nursing/playing through nagging injuries a chance to recuperate for the final run. Food for thought, through the last games against the Western teams the Flyers finished 5-1 with that same "turnover prone" winger named Steve Downie.......I think I can live with that.....

P.S. Rux, quit hiding my posts..... :lol:

LOL Touch screens, big stupid fingers, and toughfighter-inducing brain farts are a horrible combination.

I think I accept your reasons why on Downie, but not only is it as bad as we're making out, it's actually worse. And it's bad enough that the coach is repeatedly benching a guy his GM just traded for and will be a UFA this summer (you would think that even if he doesn't want to stay here - - I don't think he does - - that he'd be busting his tail for a payoff).

Not only did his turnover help to cause the goal against (that shift was a cluster by everyone so I'll only say "help") but earlier he left his defense completely hung out to dry with a lazy brain dead pass. It didn't end with a goal against but did force Grossman to take a penalty to save the play.

And turnover after turnover in the offensive end. I've seen him play better in Tampa and Colorado (and even here for that matter).

I want to blame it on injury but he's been healthy scratched with no positive spin from his coach. That's not typically done to a guy playing poorly because he's struggling with an injury.

I'm okay with him on the team now that he's here, but he's playing really poorly. I wouldn't be in favor of resigning him, but I suspect that is a moot point

Did We Just Win That Game? If I Didn't Watch It And Come On Here I Would Think We Lost.

How About Mez Getting 2 Pts Today?

Thing is that my view of certain players or aspects don't change just because we won our lost against one of the worst teams in the league.

This thread isn't about the team, so whether they won or lost today isn't relevant. In fact, the thread was started while it was still 0-0 I think. It was beating to death the obvious point that Downie has really sucked for done time now.

Wanna talk about Mez and his two points, start a happy thread

but earlier he left his defense completely hung out to dry with a lazy brain dead pass. It didn't end with a goal against but did force Grossman to take a penalty to save the play.

That pass entered the zone off of a Flame player and went directly to a Flame that had not cleared the zone. The play should have been blown dead on the offsides but instead the referee erred and left the play go and then compounded his error by flagging Grossmann for interference/hooking to stop an illegal play. Two things that helped....One, the Flyers PK is really running strong right now and Two.......they were playing the Calgary Flames...

I am not saying that Downie is faultless for his recent play I am just saying that the vitriol he is receiving should be tempered a bit.

That pass entered the zone off of a Flame player and went directly to a Flame that had not cleared the zone. The play should have been blown dead on the offsides but instead the referee erred and left the play go and then compounded his error by flagging Grossmann for interference/hooking to stop an illegal play. Two things that helped....One, the Flyers PK is really running strong right now and Two.......they were playing the Calgary Flames...

I am not saying that Downie is faultless for his recent play I am just saying that the vitriol he is receiving should be tempered a bit.

Nah. For a guy who absolutely hated getting him back to begin with (and was quite happy he left the first time) it's a great opportunity to say "see?"

Plus, I really don't think that the people defending him are actually watching that closely (I don't really mean that in the typical dick way. Just saying focus on him objectively if you remember to after the Olympics and if he's still playing the same way he will drive you nuts).

By the way, iI almost did the Dane damn thing to your post again!