Canada to start Price vs Finland

jammer2

Canada has announced Carey Price will be the starter in net today against Finland. Should he win and not be shaky, it would appear he has the inside edge to continue playing. I think he is the lesser of two evils....lol. I don't trust him or Luongo, but feel a tad more confident with Carey in net, apparently Team Canada management thinks along the same lines.

Other news, Hamhius is in, Subban is out. Dan is less risky, I have a tendancy to agree, but we miss out on a lot of offenisve potential, but this team has that from the defense, we need solid play more. Surprised St.Louis is out, Sharp back in. I don't know what Marty did to take himself out of the line-up. I'd rather see him in there.

Crosby is now centering Bergeron and Jamie Benn, looks like a strong line, wow...will they ever cycle the puck nicely!!

@jammer2

The only mistake either goalie has made so far was by Price but I think he was the choice going in. Today will be the first real test.

Kunitz should be watching the rest of the Olympics from the pressbox...he's out of his league against Norway and Austria.

@flyercanuck  I agree, Kunitz looked like he did not belong in those games. His buddy will keep him for now I guess, but eventually he will have to sink or swim on his own. At least he's not playing with Crosby anymore, which makes him more vulnerable for a press box stay.

I brought this up in the shout box the other day but I'll repeat it here...is Crosby hard to play with ?

Not trying to hate on him, however he was pretty pedestrian in Vancouver, he scored a big goal but wasn't dominant like he can be in the NHL. It seems like he doesn't adapt well to other elite talent. Sure he'll make a 25 goal scorer of Pascal Dupuis , but put a bonafide sniper with him ala 2010 and his line scuffles along. I know there are outside factors , facing the other teams top defensive pairing , little time to find chemistry...I just expect that if he's paired with other elite talent for his line to dominate and that hasn't proven to be the case. Any thoughts as to why?

@mojo1917  Maybe it's just a fluke his lines don't produce?  Or perhaps, his excellent vision is nullified by being unfamiliar with his linemates, not knowing their tendencies, which leads to him overthinking instead of just naturally reacting...it is puzzling.

@jammer2

So it's not just me, other people wonder about it too.

I know people are also playing out of position so maybe he's still sublime but his mates are having to think too much as well and can't benefit, I don't notice the drop off with Toews, who can play with anyone it seems. Same with Bergeron, maybe he'll get 87 going.

What I gathered was that since the seeding is based on goal differential, as long as both Canada and Finland finish with a greater than a +3 goal differential (Russia +3, Switzerland +1 among the 2nd place teams), they will have byes to the semi-finals. Right now Finland is +9 and Canada +8. So as long as the game is within 4 goals, both will advance directly to the semi-finals and the Russians will need to play into the medal round.

Edited by AJgoal

No, The US doesn't play Sweden tomorrow. Tuesday starts the "play-in" games. Sweden won't play until they face the winner of Slovenia-Austria. US will get winner of Czech Republic - Slovakia. Canada faces Latvia - Switzerland winner, and Sweden gets the winner of Russia - Norway. The brackets don't re-seed like they do in the NHL playoffs. The one thing I don't get is why 1,2 are in the top bracket and 3,4 the bottom. What I'm used to seeing is 1, 4 and 2,3.

Best players on the ice all game were Doughty and Carter.

Crosby is next to invisible.

And Kunitz, Nash, and Duchene look lost.

Far be it for me to criticize,   :ph34r:    BUT.....when was the last time you seen Carter play with this type of intensity and determination? It makes me even madder knowing he can play like this, cause we sure didn't see much of this sense of desperation in his play for Philly.

Far be it for me to criticize,   :ph34r:    BUT.....when was the last time you seen Carter play with this type of intensity and determination? It makes me even madder knowing he can play like this, cause we sure didn't see much of this sense of desperation in his play for Philly.

Haha, frustrating, isn't it? Honestly, though, we did see it a lot in Philly, but because we watched every single game of his, his flaws became magnified. It's like the way Giroux gets criticized around here sometimes. I betcha if we watched Toews game in and game out, we'd be annoyed at some parts of his game too.

Carter was using speed and smarts yesterday. No 'high and wide.' But we traded him just as he was entering his prime, so it's not surprising in a way.

@brelic  It is frustrating...ha ha! One of the reasons Canada won against Finland is cause Carter was pushing the pace, literally flying down the ice and his speed made for an easy entry into the Finland zone. I'm *still* bitter about that missed open net against Chicago, you'd have thought I'd have let it go by now, but still feels like a fresh wound!!!

• Like 1

Haha, frustrating, isn't it? Honestly, though, we did see it a lot in Philly, but because we watched every single game of his, his flaws became magnified. It's like the way Giroux gets criticized around here sometimes. I betcha if we watched Toews game in and game out, we'd be annoyed at some parts of his game too.

Carter was using speed and smarts yesterday. No 'high and wide.' But we traded him just as he was entering his prime, so it's not surprising in a way.

I agree with you. I'm happy with what we got in return for Carter...5 years from now it will be an outright joke. But I never hated Carter like most on this board...he was brought in to score, and that's what he did. Did he have a lackadaisical element to his game? Sure, don't most goal scorers?

This board would eat Phil Kessel alive if they watched him nightly. Or Patrick Kane. Ovechkin. Pacioretty. Ryan. Carter is better defensively. He may not throw his body around or play a relentless backcheck but he skates back and gets his stick in lanes with that long reach. A lot of other scorers just watch the opponent with the puck.

I agree with you. I'm happy with what we got in return for Carter...5 years from now it will be an outright joke. But I never hated Carter like most on this board...he was brought in to score, and that's what he did. Did he have a lackadaisical element to his game? Sure, don't most goal scorers?

This board would eat Phil Kessel alive if they watched him nightly. Or Patrick Kane. Ovechkin. Pacioretty. Ryan. Carter is better defensively. He may not throw his body around or play a relentless backcheck but he skates back and gets his stick in lanes with that long reach. A lot of other scorers just watch the opponent with the puck.

I didn't 'hate' Carter either, but I didn't want to watch him anymore. He was more frustrating than enjoyable to watch. He just looked lazy and uninterested more often than not. But again, that was my opinion when watching him game in and game out. I know I became hypercritical of him because of that.

Totally agree about Kessel, Kane, Overchicken, etc. We're already doing it with the new guys - Voracek, B Schenn, Couturier, Luke Schenn, Giroux, Vinny, Streit. The only one that has been above criticism this year it seems is Simmonds.

The more things change... ;)

@brelic   He was more concerned about when his tips were due for a frosting than winning a cup in Philly!!

I know this is hyperoblic joking but, no, that wasn't the case. 

people love to hate on the guy because he wasn't a bruiser though he was big and he skated so well it looked effortless heck even

played defense, okay he was hard to find linemates for because he was a shoot first pivot, but there are guys that can dig pucks out of corners all over the dang NHL.

We had one year of him being healthy in the playoffs. and that year he was nearly a ppg player.

I never got the hate, other than it's typical Philly fan mentality of hating the guy with skill if he doesn't "look" like he's trying; This is a fan base that hated on mike schmidt after all.

mojo knows why they hated on schmidtty , mojo just needs to make a point .  ;)

@mojo1917  Well, I've typed this many times, but I believe it to be true. Jeff did *just enough* on defense to be called respectable. He would put his body in the right position to disrupt the play, but there was no real intention of breaking up the play, he wanted to create the illusion he was being responsible. He never put his body in harms way, and he rarely played with a "sense of desperation" like we are seeing now. I don't care if he's a goal scorer per say...I want Flyers to play Flyer hockey, and he refused to do so. That's the *real* reason why the hate exists.

The other reason is, Jeff has the ability to be a "great" player, but he is ok with being above average. A lot of people, myself included see this as a waste of talent. Some players would kill to have his skill set, but he does not utilize it to it's utmost, and that is infuriating. He never grew as a player, never evolved....never learned to fully utilize his linemates, in short....Jeff is an unmotivated floater. A talented one, but a floater nonethelelss....and in Flyer land, that does not cut the mustard.