My trade deadline 2 cents worth

First, it's actually only 1.95 cents because our dollar is dipping, probably as a result of winning too many hockey gold medals in Sochi! LOL!

The reality is this Flyer team is no closer to a Cup win than Buffalo, and they are doing what's needed to get there. This team seems driven to remain less than mediocre and strive for 2 or 3 home playoff gate receipts. Phooey!!

Time to make the hard choices and stop being everybodys pal. Whoever won't be around in 5 years should be gone. Emery, Timonen, Hartnell, Lecavailer, Streit, Downey, Grossmann, should all be traded for whatever draft picks can be gotten. In case you haven't noticed, the game is for 20 somethings now, not mid 30's guys who are too slow. Those are all great guys but none who will lead to a Cup win. When I hear rumors about Buff and Mcdonald and other 30 year olds coming to the Flyers my skin crawls. It's time to get young AND FAST, and get some real character on this team, perhaps by drafting well.

Glad you're not GM.

Need a mix and you can't draft your way to a better d Squad. Just stent enough prospects even if you had 3 firsts.

First, it's actually only 1.95 cents because our dollar is dipping, probably as a result of winning too many hockey gold medals in Sochi! LOL!

The reality is this Flyer team is no closer to a Cup win than Buffalo, and they are doing what's needed to get there. This team seems driven to remain less than mediocre and strive for 2 or 3 home playoff gate receipts. Phooey!!

Time to make the hard choices and stop being everybodys pal. Whoever won't be around in 5 years should be gone. Emery, Timonen, Hartnell, Lecavailer, Streit, Downey, Grossmann, should all be traded for whatever draft picks can be gotten. In case you haven't noticed, the game is for 20 somethings now, not mid 30's guys who are too slow. Those are all great guys but none who will lead to a Cup win. When I hear rumors about Buff and Mcdonald and other 30 year olds coming to the Flyers my skin crawls. It's time to get young AND FAST, and get some real character on this team, perhaps by drafting well.

I get why you want to trade everyone on your list but why Grossman and Emery? Grossman especially is one of our better Dmen...

Gross is a modern NHL liability. He's too slow, struggles to keep pucks at the point, and is no threat whatsoever with the puck. I like his shot blocking ability, but it just isn't enough anymore.

@Philly29  I agree with the Doomster. Gross is to slow for today's NHL. He can't from point A to point B fast enough. Love his compete level and shot blocking, but he has become a liability. If we can get something for him we should. His lack of speed would really stick out in the playoffs, if we are lucky enough to squeeze in that is.

I don't think Hartnell is getting traded, this has been discussed at length on this board. Kimo should retire a Flyer, but if we can get a 1st rounder for him (not as crazy as it sounds....should the market dry up for d-men and a contender really needs depth AND experience...ya never know!) go and get it. Streit and Vinny have no trades...on top of that are ancient and signed for long terms...they are not unmoveable...but pretty close. Downie gets you what...a 4th rounder...I understand where you are coming from, but don't see many of these guys changing uniforms.

Surely your kidding. With Homer as GM, how can you be sure ANYONE would be around in 5 years? Grossmann can help you win a cup, that part is wrong on your part.

They are currently in a PO spot. The young core would benefit greatly just from making the POs. But according to you, they should trade everyone 30 or older, abandon this season, and look to the future. Since they aren't going to win a Cup this year, they should just give up. That seems pretty stupid to be completely honest.

I don't think Hartnell is getting traded, this has been discussed at length on this board. Kimo should retire a Flyer, but if we can get a 1st rounder for him (not as crazy as it sounds....should the market dry up for d-men and a contender really needs depth AND experience...ya never know!) go and get it. Streit and Vinny have no trades...on top of that are ancient and signed for long terms...they are not unmoveable...but pretty close. Downie gets you what...a 4th rounder...I understand where you are coming from, but don't see many of these guys changing uniforms.

With the new ability to hold back salary, that can even increase Timonen's trade value. Since he isn't signed for next season, if you hold 3 million of his cap space and/or salary, you open up the number of potential trading partners, assuming you want to trade him. He's one of my favorite players and I want to see him retire with the Flyers, but I'd like to see him get a Cup, too. Lightning in a bottle is possible, but I don't see this team playing consistant enough hockey to even make it to the finals. Timonen is probably worth one or two more playoff wins if he stays with the Flyers. Balance that against playoff experience for Gus and/or Lauridsen. I wouldn't throw in the towel, but if someone calls about Timonen, I at least listen to what they have to say. Meszaros and Downie should be the biggest trade dangle for the team, though. Mesz is actually looking like he could return to the form he showed earlier in his career before his rash of injuries (He's only .04ppg off of Streit's pace, is producing goals slightly faster than Streit, and has a better +/-), so in a market that sees a lot of teams looking for D help, he'll have the better value of the two. Emery hurt himself at the exact wrong time, I don't think he had a lot of trade value before, but he's valueless now.

And holy crap. Gus has played 27 games. He's not producing a ton of points (2g, 8a), but he's a +9. That's tops on the team, as good as the next FOUR Flyers combined. I know it's a flawed stat, and his sample size is small, but looking at his advanced stats, he's also among the tops on the team... Biggest argument for trading one defenseman is to get him on the ice full time.