Simmonds is a great teammate

caluso

I love this guy!

plays hard every shift, fights for his teammates (literally). great teammate.

i know the kings won the cup with richards but i love that trade more and more with each passing day.

@caluso

As a huge Richards fan I can honestly say I'm pretty happy with the return. While #18 won a cup the style of play he lives by does not make a long career. His best days are already behind him, though he's still a very good player.

Simmonds and Schenn are getting better and better. Heck either one of them alone doesn't look like a bad deal. It's sure nice to get the best years of a career out of a deal for a change.

Side note: VLC needs to stop fighting.

I love this guy!

plays hard every shift, fights for his teammates (literally). great teammate.

i know the kings won the cup with richards but i love that trade more and more with each passing day.

Simmonds is a special kind of player and person it seems. He's got that amiability as a person. On the ice he doesn't tend to instigate roughness for its own sake, just in the name of making a play. But if you being it to him he will give it back harder.

Schenn is a less complete player than Richards or Simmonds but Wayne has come a long way in two years and maybe Schenn will too.

@caluso

As a huge Richards fan I can honestly say I'm pretty happy with the return. While #18 won a cup the style of play he lives by does not make a long career. His best days are already behind him, though he's still a very good player.

Simmonds and Schenn are getting better and better. Heck either one of them alone doesn't look like a bad deal. It's sure nice to get the best years of a career out of a deal for a change.

Not to defend homer by any means but VLC and Streit were replacing the loss of jagr and Carle two years ago far more than Briere and Bryz. Not keeping those two was easily Homers biggest misstep. Bigger than Bryz IMHO. Bryz himself wasn't a terrible experiment. It was always his contract that made the idea dumb and just wholly unsound. Only Vezinas and cups would have excused Bryz's salary and duration of contract and that's a big gamble that didn't pay off. To this day I can only assume homer still has a job because everyone knows snider forced him to sign Bryz and make a ridiculous offer.

Not signing jagr and Carle wasn't as splashy and got ignored by the suter, parise, weber controversies of that year, but it crippled that team.

Why Homer didn't call jagr and let him end up with the devils I'll never understand.

Razor I guess replaced Bryz and I suppose no one has replaced Briere. Maybe this off season? Can I show us something in a size Kesler? Ha ha.

@AlaskaFlyerFan

It wouldn't be veiled if he made more trades like that instead of acquiring old guys for young/picks or replacing old overpaid breakingdown Briere and Bryz with old overpaid breakingdown VLC and Streit.

@King Knut

Sure. Schenns 3 years younger than Simmonds too. I don't think he's ever going to pan out like the "best prospect not in the NHL" label he once had. But he plays a tough game that fits playoff hockey more than regular season...something you can use going forward.

@King Knut

Replacing older underachieving overpaid players with the same, whatever way you want to call it, is just plain dumb.

If he would have signed Bryz to a shorter term it wouldn't have been such a bad contract. Same with Briere. Same with Pronger. Same with VLC. Same with Streit. The problem is, he DIDN'T sign them to a shorter term. And as soon as he (luckily) gets out of two, he can't wait to jump into two more.

Not to defend homer by any means but VLC and Streit were replacing the loss of jagr and Carle two years ago far more than Briere and Bryz. Not keeping those two was easily Homers biggest misstep. Bigger than Bryz IMHO. Bryz himself wasn't a terrible experiment. It was always his contract that made the idea dumb and just wholly unsound. Only Vezinas and cups would have excused Bryz's salary and duration of contract and that's a big gamble that didn't pay off. To this day I can only assume homer still has a job because everyone knows snider forced him to sign Bryz and make a ridiculous offer.

Not signing jagr and Carle wasn't as splashy and got ignored by the suter, parise, weber controversies of that year, but it crippled that team.

Why Homer didn't call jagr and let him end up with the devils I'll never understand.

Razor I guess replaced Bryz and I suppose no one has replaced Briere. Maybe this off season? Can I show us something in a size Kesler? Ha ha.

I hated the signing of VLC and Streit - and not because they cannot play. The last position we needed to solidify was center. We have a logjam at that position, so the signing of VLC was unnecessary. Why not develop from within. And Gomer forgets that this is a hard salary cap league where every dollar matters. VLC's cap hit is painful!

Anyway, i digress.

I really like the team's physical toughness and resiliency. i am actually cautiously optimistic about the future, especially if Morin pans out.

I love this kid and it's only a bonus that we got him and Schenn at the same time. I don't care about the Cup, because I can't compare a team accomplishment to a couple of individuals. I have to compare the players in the trade and not simply whether the teams involved won a Cup or not. There's so much more involved in winning a championship than 1 or 2 guys. They turned one good player into what looks like two. We don't know their ceiling yet, but I'm happy with both Schenn and Simmonds.

flyercanuck, I agree Holmgren has signed some horrible deals, BUT what older player is going to sign for 1-2 years at a time? Not many. They want that security so they don't end up with no contract at 33-34 yrs old and no one wanting to take a chance on them (Gagne?). They want to sign that long contract for some security. I'm just saying it's harder to get a player to sign if they hold the cards (many suitors) such as Briere, Bryzgalov, etc

flyercanuck, I agree Holmgren has signed some horrible deals, BUT what older player is going to sign for 1-2 years at a time? Not many. They want that security so they don't end up with no contract at 33-34 yrs old and no one wanting to take a chance on them (Gagne?). They want to sign that long contract for some security. I'm just saying it's harder to get a player to sign if they hold the cards (many suitors) such as Briere, Bryzgalov, etc

Simmonds is signed for FIVE more years at LESS THAN $4M.

From where I come from this is the worst contract since JLC's - and I mean in terms of the organization's favor.

He has a modified NTC, but if Homer even wakes up in the middle of the night after having a dream about trading Simmonds, he needs to be stopped.

In Philly, I've seen LOTS of African-Americans wearing Flyers gear - something I've never really noticed before even when Brashear was a thing. Like more than I've even seen wearing SIXERS stuff. Between that and the potential influence through Snider's youth hockey foundation he is an essential part of the Flyers even if one disregards the fact that he's twice the player of most of the guys on the ice with him at any time.

I really can't say enough good about Simmonds. I really can't.

@KjellShocked  Simmonds was just born to be a Flyer. He embodies everything that hard core Flyers fans crave. Best combo of grit and scoring since Tocchet wore the O&B...and I was a HUGE Tocchett fan, so a big compliment there! The fists fly hard and often, the goals come fast and furious and the guy hustles shift in and shift out. BY FAR one of the very best bangs for the buck in the entire league....we should NEVER.....EVER trade this Simmer!!!

We would NEVER get this kind of toughness and scoring from anyone else. Homer's best ever contract, and it's not even close!!!   I'd love to see him get an A after Kimo retires, he deserves it, leads by example he does!!

• Like 1

So don't sign them then.

• Like 2